• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishAK
    replied
    Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
    Up hill? Both ways?
    Hahaha...

But it's true, I swear! And it wasnt too hilly or snow up to my waist. Most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Squirrel
    replied
    Originally posted by fishAK View Post
    I lived in Glennallen for a couple of years as a kid, and remember walking to school (in 2nd grade, mind you) when it was -45.
    Up hill? Both ways?

Leave a comment:

• HeadDoc
    replied
    My vote would be for the Kenai Peninsula, but I agree you should take at least one or two vacations to scout out places. My wife and I work in Anchorage but we'll probably move to the KP when we retire.

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Originally posted by Valor55 View Post
    Fairbanks isn't so bad. It's cold, and there's snow, but life moves on. It doesn't stop people from living. You could live in Salcha or Nenana or Fox, be out of town and secluded. Drive 20-40 minutes and you have Wal Mart, Fred Meyer grocery store, movie theater, restaurants etc. If you can handle a little longer of a drive you could go to Delta and be really secluded.but still be an hour or so from the city.
    And like most places in Alaska, you have to balance out the good with the bad. It gets cold in the winter, sure, but it's also one of, if not the hottest, parts of the state in the summer.

Leave a comment:

• Valor55
    replied
    Fairbanks isn't so bad. It's cold, and there's snow, but life moves on. It doesn't stop people from living. You could live in Salcha or Nenana or Fox, be out of town and secluded. Drive 20-40 minutes and you have Wal Mart, Fred Meyer grocery store, movie theater, restaurants etc. If you can handle a little longer of a drive you could go to Delta and be really secluded.but still be an hour or so from the city.

Leave a comment:

• SBSO_DISPATCHER
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcticCop View Post
    Your best bet is to take a vacation to Alaska and scout out some areas. One person's hell is another person's paradise: so what we may tell you is a great spot to live, you may hate and vice-a-verca.

Good luck!
    I'll take a vacation 1st before any major decisions... Thanks for all your help.

Leave a comment:

• ArcticCop
    replied
    Originally posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
    I plan on moving to Alaska in a few years. I've always wanted to get away from the busy fast paced Southern California area and live a slower life. Only problem is I know absolutely nothing about alaska lol. I know I dont want neighbor's for a few miles. Price range would be around 300,000k. Want a nice sized house for this price. (where I live in california that buys you a 2 bedroom shack.) I tried to go online and look at some of the houses but they have all these different area's I know nothing about... Any imput? I would like to stay away from the larger city area's. Sorry if this is not the area to look but I dont what what area that would be.
    Your best bet is to take a vacation to Alaska and scout out some areas. One person's hell is another person's paradise: so what we may tell you is a great spot to live, you may hate and vice-a-verca.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Originally posted by jakflak View Post
    Yes...yes we are. Hippies and rednecks living in harmony.
    Lol. I almost mentioned hippies...

I do love it there. I miss our boat, which my dad took south when he retired.

Leave a comment:

• MCSD
    replied
    Originally posted by WPD954 View Post
    move to Trona
    Or Daggett

Leave a comment:

• jakflak
    replied
    Originally posted by fishAK View Post
    Bunch of quirky people that live there...
    Yes...yes we are. Hippies and rednecks living in harmony.

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Shhh. That's my retirement spot.

Homer is great. I spent the majority of the summers there either working or on our boat for about 10 years. Bunch of quirky people that live there, with the common theme being everyone wants their privacy.

Leave a comment:

• jakflak
    replied
    someplace with a good ammount of snow.. but not the type where im stuck in my hosue for 3 months.
    Homer is the place for you. A decent amount of snow but still has pavement. You can be 20 minutes from the grocery store/movie theater/McDonalds while still not being able to hear a car or see a neighbor. The land outside of town is cheap.

Leave a comment:

• fishAK
    replied
    Yeah, that's pretty darn cold.

I lived in Glennallen for a couple of years as a kid, and remember walking to school (in 2nd grade, mind you) when it was -45.

Leave a comment:

• AKbound
    replied
    someplace with a good ammount of snow.. but not the type where im stuck in my hosue for 3 months.
    Don't move to Fairbanks...they have snow but the temps keep lots of folks inside for months at a crack. I have a picture of the thermometer on my porch from Dec 26...temp reads -51.

Leave a comment:

• SBSO_DISPATCHER
    replied

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3243 users online. 215 members and 3028 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X