300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska question

I plan on moving to Alaska in a few years. I've always wanted to get away from the busy fast paced Southern California area and live a slower life. Only problem is I know absolutely nothing about alaska lol. I know I dont want neighbor's for a few miles. Price range would be around 300,000k. Want a nice sized house for this price. (where I live in california that buys you a 2 bedroom shack.) I tried to go online and look at some of the houses but they have all these different area's I know nothing about... Any imput? I would like to stay away from the larger city area's. Sorry if this is not the area to look but I dont what what area that would be.
    Gotta catch em allll.........

Well...it's getting harder to get away from the city. Unless you want to live in the bush, which would be extreme culture shock I'm sure. Finding something with no neighbors for miles in that price range is probably close to impossible, unless you like living in a small cabin without road access.

Most of the populated parts of the state are on the highway system, and those that aren't are typically centered around a native village. There is nothing wrong with that, but it's a different kind of living with very high cost of living.

That said, there are places that are more remote but within driving distance of the city, and you could get lucky. Up here, it really depends on what you want, what climate you want, how accessible you want civilization to be....

Start by looking at a map of Anchorage, the Mat-Su Valley (Wasilla and Palmer area), and the Kenai Peninsula. Anchorage is the biggest city, but the valley is growing at a massive rate. House prices in Anchorage, for a very basic single family home (2000sf or so) are over $300,000 with almost no land. That same money in the valley can buy a much nicer home with an acre or two. The general rule for housing is the smaller the community, the crappier the homes...lol. There are some exceptions, but they tend to be in prime fishing/tourist/summer home areas.

I don't know if you plan on working, either, which can have a major influence on where you are able to live.

I know that wasn't really a great answer, but do you want to be a hermit in the wilderness with no access to civilization or do you want some solitude at home while still being able to go to town to catch a movie?

Alaska is enormous, so we really do have a lot of climates to choose from...Temperate coastal maritime to arctic desert....
    Last edited by fishAK; 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM.
    "All that is, ever
    Ever was, will be, ever
    Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

What fish said.

As far as being apart from a city, that's not hard to find in Alaska. It depends on how far from the city you want to be. You can live in wilderness and still be a 20 minute drive from Anchorage, or you can have a cabin in the middle of nowhere you can only access by snowmachine (snowmachine is the Alaskan word for snowmobile).

The Kenai peninsula is a great place a lot of people move to to get away from urban while still being in a day's drive from stores and such.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

Comment

Best chances are in Palmer/Wasilla if you work in Anchorage. If you work in Palmer/Wasilla then there are tons of small communities to move to.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I concur with the previous comments. I would strongly suggest you come visit here, both in summer and winter. You cannot get a good feel for this place from pictures, you have to put boots to the ground and see the places you are considering moving to. I have lived in a lot of different places, and Alaska is considerably different than what I expected, in both positive and negative ways.

Comment

Coming from SoCal to here is a huge difference, and not just in climate, so I would have to agree with URIFO on that. Come visit, make sure it's what you think it is, and then decide if you still want to live here.

I lived in San Diego for a few years, but couldn't stand it. Yes, the weather was nice, but I need something more than that. Too many people, high cost of living, took an hour to cross town no matter what time of day it was...the only thing I liked was walking the beaches at sundown. Sunsets were beautiful almost every day, and that just never gets old to me.
            "All that is, ever
            Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

That was more than enough information for me. thank you very much. I was on a website that showed houses in different communitites and now I have a name to search which community. I've always wanted to live the hermit life but I dont know how I would like it afer a few months lol. I'd say pretty secluded but with a 30 minute drive to civilization. Only hard part will be prying my wife from socal. Maybe I could do the Vacation home thing.... That would probably be a better choice for me and my family. I'd get away for a while then come back to normal life.

Comment

Originally posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
                I've always wanted to live the hermit life
                move to Trona

Comment

I don't think he wanted to include dying from heat exhaustion...
                  "All that is, ever
                  Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

someplace with a good ammount of snow.. but not the type where im stuck in my hosue for 3 months.

Comment

someplace with a good ammount of snow.. but not the type where im stuck in my hosue for 3 months.
                      Don't move to Fairbanks...they have snow but the temps keep lots of folks inside for months at a crack. I have a picture of the thermometer on my porch from Dec 26...temp reads -51.

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty darn cold.

I lived in Glennallen for a couple of years as a kid, and remember walking to school (in 2nd grade, mind you) when it was -45.
                        "All that is, ever
                        Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

Homer is the place for you. A decent amount of snow but still has pavement. You can be 20 minutes from the grocery store/movie theater/McDonalds while still not being able to hear a car or see a neighbor. The land outside of town is cheap.

Comment

Shhh. That's my retirement spot.

Homer is great. I spent the majority of the summers there either working or on our boat for about 10 years. Bunch of quirky people that live there, with the common theme being everyone wants their privacy.
                            "All that is, ever
                            Ever was, will be, ever

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post
                              Bunch of quirky people that live there...
                              Yes...yes we are. Hippies and rednecks living in harmony.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2897 users online. 169 members and 2728 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X