300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phone filming??

Ok, here is a question for you guys up there in AK. I was searching on youtube and came a across a video clip of a kid trying to film a AST while they were driving, they passed the trooper and then he pulled in behind them and pulled them over. I understood the PC for the stop. While the trooper approached the vehicle this kid kept filming him with his phone and when askekd to shut it off the kid kept filming the trooper and then was cursing at the trooper. My question to you guys is what would have you done in a situation like that?

There could be more to the story than we know but based on what the video portrayed, treat it like every other traffic stop, with professionalism. Doesn't matter to me if the PASSENGER is filming or not.
    Last edited by asianhulk; 03-04-2011, 11:06 PM. Reason: Added last sentence
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious,nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from That Guy who stole it from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Woooooooooosha!
      Pete Malloy, "The only thing black and white about this job is the car."

Comment

Originally posted by CPD2K24 View Post
        Ok, here is a question for you guys up there in AK. I was searching on youtube and came a across a video clip of a kid trying to film a AST while they were driving, they passed the trooper and then he pulled in behind them and pulled them over. I understood the PC for the stop. While the trooper approached the vehicle this kid kept filming him with his phone and when askekd to shut it off the kid kept filming the trooper and then was cursing at the trooper. My question to you guys is what would have you done in a situation like that?

Annoying as it may be, you can't let things like that get to you. Theres always someone watching!

Comment

He was right to say put it away. There are guns that look like cell phones. If something is in your hand and I tell you to put it down, put it down.

I was more concerned with the kid greeting the officer with "WTF...motherf****r", not the polite officer saying put down the phone. But maybe that's just me.

It did amuse me, however, that the kid didn't bother to edit out his real address before putting that on the internet. That's going to be a problem for him if this goes viral.

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
            He was right to say put it away. There are guns that look like cell phones. If something is in your hand and I tell you to put it down, put it down.

I was more concerned with the kid greeting the officer with "WTF...motherf****r", not the polite officer saying put down the phone. But maybe that's just me.

It did amuse me, however, that the kid didn't bother to edit out his real address before putting that on the internet. That's going to be a problem for him if this goes viral.
            We had a case here where a protester was filming with a video camera and the officer started to yell about how it could be a gun; we paid that protester. Common sense has to prevail at times.

P.s. It did go viral as I saw it on youtube
            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by That Guy View Post
              We had a case here where a protester was filming with a video camera and the officer started to yell about how it could be a gun; we paid that protester. Common sense has to prevail at times.

P.s. It did go viral as I saw it on youtube
              Not everything on Youtube is viral.

I'm confused here; you say someone sued because an officer yelled at them? I think there's more to this story than that.

Comment

I guess you are right about what goes "viral" however I first saw it on a motorcycle forum.

Yes there is plenty more; basically we get a call about a guy protesting and an officer who hadn't worked the road in years stopped on it. Protester is filming interaction with officer and officer tells him to stop because he could be gun concealed inside. Protester ends up getting thumped and arrested.
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I'm not a cop yet, so I won't presume what you should or shouldn't do, but one thing that was clear to me from the video was those kids were looking for a confrontation with the Trooper, and that's what they got.
                  "All that is, ever
                  Ever was, will be, ever
                  Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

The cell phone gun thing was never an issue on the initial stop, the trooper never brought that up as a reason he didn't want the cell phone "filming" so it really has no place as an excuse for this traffic stop. The trooper didn't want the kid filming because he didn't want to get filmed. The trooper should have conducted the traffic stop just like any other traffic stop and give the kid a "boring" video to post.

FishAK is right on this: the kids were looking for a confrontation and they got one. By acting in the way that he did the trooper gave the kids just what they wanted: an @$$hole Trooper.

Imagine if the video would have unfolded with the trooper contacting the driver, explaining the reason for the stop, asking for a justified reason for the violation, asking the driver for his license, registration, proof of insurance and then explaining the enforcement action being taken: all in a calm professional manner. Let the driver act like a clown, it will only make the trooper look more reasonable and professional. If the video would have went this way it would have never been posted on YouTube.

However, we are all human and prone to mistakes and bad days.

Comment

My thoughts...

The kids did not greet the cop with "WTF MF". They had not said a single word to the officer. The passenger rolled down the window without a word exchanged between him and the officer. You can see him start handing over his ID to the cop, the cop taking it and immediately lunging for the cell phone in the car. That's when the kids starting cussing at the officer.

The officer did not tell them to put away the camera. He said to turn it off and that seems to indicate he did not want to be videoed.

Blaming driver and passenger for being jerks before the pull-over, and then for being jerks after the cop tries to grab the camera... well the analogy which comes to mind is blaming the rape victim for wearing provocative clothes. Being a jerk isn't against the law.

"They were looking for a confrontation and that's what they got" sounds like "she was asking for it."

Giving the driver a ticket for following too closely seems to be the LEO's attempt to criminalize the driver for contempt of cop and adds insult to injury.

Before any LEO jumps on me.... as noted in a previous post I make sure the cops in my community know I appreciate them (I occasionally bring them food at the station). I've never had a really bad experience with a cop, have always been treat politely and have gotten more breaks than tickets in my time on this earth. But, if cop searches for a reason to ticket me merely because I was exercising a Constitutional right -- even if he/she is an otherwise great cop you can bet I've got a legitimate grievance.
                      Last edited by eyesopen; 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM.
                      The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You and I didn't see the same video then. When they made contact with the officer the camera was pointing at the kids' crotch. Your assumption the officer 'lunged' for it is simply made up.

Secondly, I didn't see anything about 'following too closely'. He pulled them over for speeding, and the video didn't even show that he cited them. That part is not there, and you are once again assuming the worse and accusing the officer of it.

You're making that stuff up and simply being a troll. Saying you make sure cops know you appreciate them doesn't change that at all.

Comment

iget filmed all day and everyday at work daily....just ignore it and move on....

not much you can do about it and getting ****ed off about it is only gonna bite you in the *** if you react in a bad way to it
                          Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by jakflak View Post
                            You and I didn't see the same video then. When they made contact with the officer the camera was pointing at the kids' crotch. Your assumption the officer 'lunged' for it is simply made up.

Secondly, I didn't see anything about 'following too closely'. He pulled them over for speeding, and the video didn't even show that he cited them. That part is not there, and you are once again assuming the worse and accusing the officer of it.

You're making that stuff up and simply being a troll. Saying you make sure cops know you appreciate them doesn't change that at all.
                            Everything he stated was in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDVPm-2N4xk video. nothing was made up and nobody is being a troll... while the officer is studdering he clearly asks..."do you know what the following distance is"

Comment

Originally posted by bcbulldog2 View Post
                              Everything he stated was in this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDVPm-2N4xk video. nothing was made up and nobody is being a troll... while the officer is studdering he clearly asks..."do you know what the following distance is"
                              No, it wasn't. I watched it. Twice. What eyesopen said he made up based on the assumption that those things must have happened because clearly he has a problem with cops. If you disagree, watch the video; I'm not going to argue it. Hate cops, do whatever you want. But at least get the facts straight instead of making up the 'rest of the story' and getting mad about what you made up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2618 users online. 128 members and 2490 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X