Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously giving the Alaska State Troopers a thought...please read and give insight

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously giving the Alaska State Troopers a thought...please read and give insight

Hello fellow Alaska residents. I currently reside in Washington State. I have been in the process with the WSP for about 2 years come Dec 30th and my process will unfortunatly expire with the WSP. I am currently sitting on the eligibility roster which means that they can call me anytime and give me a conditional letter of employment. Because the budget has not allowed for many oppurtunities, I have been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. To expand my options, I called around to a bunch of local agencies but they are all on a massive freeze due to the economy. A small PD I was thinking of going through the process with had high hopes to get a federal grant for police officers but that fell through. I called the Idaho State patrol yesterday and I missed the application deadline by a week so I said what the hell and called Alaska. They told me that they are on really looking for troopers and are not under any budget restraints, which is a really nice thing to hear.

I got married in Sept, so were still fresh. My wife is very supportive and very adventerous so if I was to go through the process and get the job, moving wouldnt be too much of an issue besides leaving family members in Washington. For you Alaskians, please tell me about the Alaska lifestyle. How hard is it to live there, what is the cost of living like? Is working in fair banks and other major cities like working in most other places in the states? I hate to sound negative and stuck up but near the major cities in Alaska are the roads/cities clean? I was looking up houses for sale just for laughs and giggles and alot of the houses that are for sale look really run down, beat up, and almost like its a ghetto. I know the way of life is different in Alaska but overall are the cities pretty ruggid looking or are their alot of nice areas?

If you are an Alaska State trooper and have some info or would like to share your experience both positive and negative, please share, I would love to hear them.

Thank you very much for your time,
    -Daniel
    PS I am from Washington State so crazy weather really should not be that big of an issue.

I'm not a Trooper, but I have my app in for the Feb 2010 Academy. I've only been in Alaska for 1 year, but it's like no other place I've ever lived. You really need to enjoy the outdoors to fully enjoy living here, in my opinion. There's tons to do and see in the summer and winter...hiking, biking, kayaking, fihing, Mt. climbing, camping, skiing, ice skating, etc As for the housing, I live 45 min from Anchorage. There's everything from really nice $300,000 homes to one bedroom dry cabins (no indoor plumbing). Anchorage has really nice housing to the rougher "ghetto"(as you said) housing. I've never been to Fairbanks, so I can't say what it's like up there. Obviously with the Troopers you could be stationed in a village. From what I've seen, the houses are bit more rugged! It's all part of the adventure! My wife and family are up for it, some are not. You could always call the recruiter and pick their brains too. They were a wealth of information when I was considering putting in an application. Good luck to you!

Comment

There are very nice parts and very run down parts. As a Trooper you'll end up in some very rural areas as well as the more civilized places.

Comment

If your really that serious maybe you should plan a trip to Alaska and see it for yourself. I would not recommend you apply for a job up in Alaska without first seeing the land. Besides during the hiring process you will be required to fly to Anchorage on your own dime anyway.

Comment

The only thing I find difficult is the weather, and you say that's not a problem for you. I live in a medium size city and am still close to Anchorage, so I can get anything I need. Cost of living is some what high for some things, but not crazy unless you're in the rural bush. Houses prices are actually pretty reasonable in the cities. And just like anywhere else there are nice parts of town, and nasty parts. Again rural Alaska is different. I would also recommend visiting, and check out some of the municipal dept's. It's nice finding a town you like and staying there, instead of being moved all around with the troopers.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_HKS View Post
            I called the Idaho State patrol yesterday and I missed the application deadline by a week so I said what the hell and called Alaska.
            I doubt they're looking for a "what the hell" attitude. I'd bet they're looking for "true believers".
            ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Off topic, does anyone know who makes the external vests the troopers have?

Comment

Originally posted by Brader View Post
                It's nice finding a town you like and staying there, instead of being moved all around with the troopers.
                That's a common misconception that you HAVE TO move "all around." You will more than likely have to move once. After that initial move, you can stay your entire career at that second post. However, you also have the option to move again anytime after two years -- but you don't have to. If you want to see Alaska you could move every two years for the rest of your career complements of the SOA.
                The DA/SA handgun: A NAZI solution to a problem that didn't exist!

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzination View Post
                  There are a couple of different vests out there. I know that there is someone in Fairbanks that makes vests for the Troopers up there.

Barb Wise of Turtletracks makes a lot of the vests for the Troopers. She is based in Anchorage.

Comment

American body armor makes an external vest I have one from working armored car business.

Comment

Originally posted by akflyer View Post
                      That's a common misconception that you HAVE TO move "all around." You will more than likely have to move once. After that initial move, you can stay your entire career at that second post. However, you also have the option to move again anytime after two years -- but you don't have to. If you want to see Alaska you could move every two years for the rest of your career complements of the SOA.
                      True. One thing missing from a lot of the information out there right now is that a lot of people choose to work where they do for various reasons. Some want the adventure. Some simply like the smaller village life and what it has to offer vs. the city. Some people simply don't do well in one place for too long, so this gives them the opportunity to move every couple of years.

The big missing component of information is the pay. You get paid more in remote locations. That last show on NatGeo, the guy in Nome was a) in Nome, b) a pilot, c) an investigator, d) on ABADE or a similar team, and e) had been with the Troopers for something like 15 years. All of those things are extra pay, I believe. Add it all up, plus any OT, and I bet his paycheck alone is near or above 100K/year. Plus his wife is a trooper out there, too? Those two are going to have a comfy retirement.
                      "All that is, ever
                      Ever was, will be, ever
                      Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by fishAK View Post
                        True. One thing missing from a lot of the information out there right now is that a lot of people choose to work where they do for various reasons. Some want the adventure. Some simply like the smaller village life and what it has to offer vs. the city. Some people simply don't do well in one place for too long, so this gives them the opportunity to move every couple of years.

The big missing component of information is the pay. You get paid more in remote locations. That last show on NatGeo, the guy in Nome was a) in Nome, b) a pilot, c) an investigator, d) on ABADE or a similar team, and e) had been with the Troopers for something like 15 years. All of those things are extra pay, I believe. Add it all up, plus any OT, and I bet his paycheck alone is near or above 100K/year. Plus his wife is a trooper out there, too? Those two are going to have a comfy retirement.
                        Probably 120K-130K/yr! Yes, those are all "extra" pay benefits
                        Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
                        -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

Comment

[QUOTE]I called the Idaho State patrol yesterday and I missed the application deadline by a week so I said what the hell and called Alaska. They told me that they are on really looking for troopers and are not under any budget restraints, which is a really nice thing to hear.

Is working in fair banks and other major cities like working in most other places in the states? I hate to sound negative and stuck up but near the major cities in Alaska are the roads/cities clean? I was looking up houses for sale just for laughs and giggles and alot of the houses that are for sale look really run down, beat up, and almost like its a ghetto. I know the way of life is different in Alaska but overall are the cities pretty ruggid looking or are their alot of nice areas?[QUOTE]

Don't apply.
                          Most people fail because they trade what they want MOST, for what they want at the MOMENT.

The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, WHO can know it?
                          -Jeremiah 17:9

Is it any surprise that cops don't trust anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzination View Post
                            Turtle tracks.
                            http://www.industrynet.com/info.asp?CID=1693447

They make good stuff. My vest carrier is made by them.
                            pat
                            Firearms Instructor.
                            Urban Rifle Instructor.
                            Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
                            Glock Armorer.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticCop View Post
                              If your really that serious maybe you should plan a trip to Alaska and see it for yourself. I would not recommend you apply for a job up in Alaska without first seeing the land. Besides during the hiring process you will be required to fly to Anchorage on your own dime anyway.
                              Good advice. Especially for the Troopers. You will have to do bush time and many end up hating it out there and quitting. A fair number of Troopers quit once they are assigned to their first bush assignment. Not that I blame them. I worked for 6 years in the Bush and never want to go back.
                              Pat
                              Firearms Instructor.
                              Urban Rifle Instructor.
                              Colt M16/AR15 Armorer.
                              Glock Armorer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3911 users online. 155 members and 3756 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X