Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from Atlanta to Alaska

Hey GUys

mY wife and I are thinking about moving from Atlanta to Alaska. I am 21 and just finishing up the academy.

How many hours of POST will I have to take in order to be a police officer in Alaska. What is the starting salary for officers with no experience? If you could tell me anything about it, that would be great.

Thanks
    Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Depends entirely on the department. For most you would only have to do 2 weeks at the academy since Alaska takes pretty much everyone's certification. Anchorage PD requires you go through their whole academy.
    And again pay can vary greatly. Anywhere from $18-20 an hour for smaller departments, to $27 or so for Anchorage. Troopers are usually in the middle somewhere.

There are quite a few municipal agencies spreading the whole state. Anchorage is the only large one, and there are a lot of mid-size (for AK) dept's with 10-30 officers. Anything from semi-decent sized cities to very small tourist towns and villages. And of course there's state troopers

Comment

Don't bother with APD since there is a freeze in effect. Try the troopers and be prepared to work for a smaller agency. Good luck.

TGY
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

The National Park Service also hires Law Enforcement Rangers, for many of the NP, and Federal areas in Alaska, you might wnat to look into that as well.

This is what I found so far, but there are vacancies that pop up from time to time.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/Search....er=series.aspx

you can check www.usajob.opm.gov and search series 0025 which is the Ranger job, Some will be LE, other will be called "Protection", but because the Ranger position is a Generalist, there also also positions for Ranger Biologist, Ranger Pilot, etc, so you need to read the posting carefully.

If they select you for a LE Position, you will eventually attend the LMTP-LE Ranger Program @ FLETC.

Good Luck.

Comment

We're hiring in the far north (North Slope Borough Police Dept.)

Comment

hey everyone..thanks for all of the responses. I guess I should just call and talk to a recruiter. I am not even sure how to begin a big move like this? I would want to secure a job before we make the official move. Can you tell me why I want to move from Atlanta to Alaska? (haha) Hows the weather?
            Graduated Clayton Academy: Nov. 17,2009

Hired: Dec. 4, 2009

Comment

If you should decide to drive to Alaska, I highly recommend that you buy the book "Mile Post" This manual tells you all the fuel stops, restaurants, motel's, repair shops and what it is that you will see and find of interest at every mile post etc. on the Alcan (Alaska/Canada) Highway. It is a must have for drivers.

http://milepost.com/
              Last edited by montanahogrider; 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2574 users online. 134 members and 2440 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X