300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairbanks Academy

I'll be heading up there next week, anyone else going?

Most agencies aside from FPD and UAF cops go down to Sitka. Most of the students in the Fairbanks Class are those who paid their own way to into the class to get certified. So I am not sure how many are going from other agencies. Where are you coming up from?
    Justin Stuart

Comment

Wasilla PD. They typically send people to APD's academy (on the rare occasion they hire someone not certified), but the Chief has heard good things about how Fairbanks is ran now, plus it was the soonest. I have some friends and coworkers who paid their own way through it, and it sounds like some others are being sent by other agencies.

Comment

Good luck, Hopefully the weather stays nice for you. Are you in the reserves or guard? Or if you have friends I would try and stay at Wainwright because of the cost of living up here...if you weren't aware of how it is up here.
        Justin Stuart

Comment

The TVC Law Enforcement Academy conducts basic police training for interior and rural municipalities. The training will consist of both students who are current recruit employees of a law enforcement academy as well as students who are considering a career in law enforcement. All students in the program will be seeking Alaska Police Standards Certification, which will make them eligible for employment with any of the approximately 21 State Enforcement Agencies, or the 43 municipal police departments within the State of Alaska. In addition to these agencies, many private security companies will give enhanced consideration to hiring a candidate who possess an Alaska Police Standards Council certificate.

The Law Enforcement Academy is 13 weeks. Classes will begin at 8a.m. and end at 5pm. The Fall Academy begins in mid-August. The spring Academy starts in mid-February. There will occasionally be some training in evening hours, and some weapons training will occur on Saturday mornings. Training will be intense and disciplined. Students will be expected to attend every class, and be timely in both arriving for class and in the submission of assignments. Students will be required to maintain a 2.0 GPA in order to be awarded an Alaska Police Standards acceptable certificate. Students will be expected to maintain a sufficient degree of physical conditioning in order to participate successfully in classes that cover topics such as physical arrest, weapons retention, and handcuffing. In addition, most police departments in the state require applicants to pass a basic physical proficiency test prior to being hired.

Students in the UAF TVC Law Enforcement Academy will be expected to perform at his or her highest level of capability. Experience has demonstrated that there is a high level of correlation between high standards of discipline and motivation while in training, to success in one's chosen career. Those students who achieve certification will be deemed a more desirable or employable candidate if maximum potential has been achieved during the academy training.
          For more information and to request an application packet, contact Assistant Professor Dusty Johnson at the phone number or email address listed below.

Application Information
          Applicants to the program will have to be a high school graduate or possess a GED certificate. Students will have to fill out an application for the Law Enforcement Academy and agree to comply with the rules and regulations established by TVC and the Academy.

Additionally, all applicants must comply with the Alaska Police Standards Qualifications:
          U.S. citizen or resident alien demonstrating intent to become a citizen
          Must be 21 years of age to be employed as a Police Officer, however, students who are at least 18 years old may be admitted to the training program
          Must possess a valid Alaska Driver's License
          Must be free of physical defects that would interfere with the performance of the normal duties of a police officer (including certain vision, hearing, and/or emotional disorders.)

Alaska Law Enforcement Agencies are prohibited, by law, from hiring or employing any person who has:

Been convicted of a felony
          Been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of dishonesty, moral turpitude, or other crime resulting in serious physical injury to another within the preceding 10 years
          Been convicted of two or more DWI offenses
          Been denied police certification, or had police certification revoked by the Alaska Police Standards Council.
          Illegally transported, manufactured or sold a controlled substance within the 10 years prior to application or who has used marijuana within the last year prior to application.
          Falsely applied for certification, lied, or omitted information from the APSC application.

NOTE: Entry into law enforcement tactics training may be denied to any person who, because of past criminal or social behavior, might represent a risk of harm to other students or to the general public.

Faculty Profile

Don P. “Dusty” Johnson is a graduate of Municipal Police Academy in Sitka, Alaska and began his career in law enforcement in Fairbanks in 1978. Dusty has worked in patrol, Metro, detectives and spent more than 20 years on the Tactical Police Team. In 2007, Dusty retired from the Fairbanks Police Department after 29 years of service. Dusty has been an instructor with the TVC Law Enforcement Academy since it was established.

Contact Information:

Dusty Johnson,
          Coordinator and Assistant Professor
          TVC Law Enforcement Academy
          UAF Tanana Valley Campus
          P.O. Box 758080
          Fairbanks, Alaska 99775-8080

email: [email protected]
          phone: (907) 455-2811

Page Last modified: August 11 2008.
          Any questions or comments regarding this web site
          can be sent to: Webmaster

Comment

Originally posted by jstuart99705 View Post
            Good luck, Hopefully the weather stays nice for you. Are you in the reserves or guard? Or if you have friends I would try and stay at Wainwright because of the cost of living up here...if you weren't aware of how it is up here.
            I'll actually be staying at the dorms at UAF, that and food is taken care of.
            I'm wondering how the weather will be up there in Sept, shouldn't be too much colder than down here. Thinking about taking my motorcycle up on one of the in-between trips when I come home for a weekend.

Comment

Fbks Sept weather is not that bad. Daytime highs in the lower 60's and night time lows in the 30's.

Just as a note, the food at UAF is not bad and is substantially better than the food at the Sitka Academy.

I'm in Fairbanks and if you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Comment

It hopefully won't be to bad in September. I am in Fairbanks, well North Pole, as well. If you have any questions you can shoot me an e-mail as well.
                Justin Stuart

Comment

ya, good luck there Mr. brader. I put myself through that academy back in fall of 2005. Cost alot paying for it myself, but in the end it worked out. Kind of...

Comment

Originally posted by Zipper View Post
                    ya, good luck there Mr. brader. I put myself through that academy back in fall of 2005. Cost alot paying for it myself, but in the end it worked out. Kind of...
                    Why kind of?

Comment

Why kind of?

Comment

Why kind of?

Comment

After graduating from an academy here in AK, you have 3 years to get on a department or you'll have to redo the whole thing. The department I wanted to get on didn't have any openings for the 2 years after I finished so I did the shotgun approach as far as putting in applications. I took the first job offer I got, didn't want to risk losing all that time, money, and effort just to have to do it again. So, didn't get my first choice, but at least I'm working as an officer. That's why it kind of worked out.

Comment

Sorry about the triple post.

Yeah the same thing happened to me. I think it happens to about all AK LEO's. Start somewhere you don't want to be but in the end it all works out.

Comment

Originally posted by M4fulltime View Post
                              Fbks Sept weather is not that bad. Daytime highs in the lower 60's and night time lows in the 30's.

Just as a note, the food at UAF is not bad and is substantially better than the food at the Sitka Academy.

I'm in Fairbanks and if you have any specific questions you can PM me.

Originally posted by jstuart99705 View Post
                              It hopefully won't be to bad in September. I am in Fairbanks, well North Pole, as well. If you have any questions you can shoot me an e-mail as well.
                              Yeah, thanks guys. Definately will get to check out the town.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5752 users online. 331 members and 5421 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X