300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jefferson County Training Center Reserve Academy

If approved by the sheriff, I'll be attending the reserve academy that starts 3/21/15. Does anyone have experience with this academy? I've heard that some academies are more boot camp like in nature while others are more relaxed. Either way, I'm ready to go. Thanks for the insight.

What county will you be working as a reserve for?
    Not real sure. If that's an answer for you.
    I know that an actual reserve academy is different than a lateral academy or a full academy.
    If you will be acting on your own on the street then you will go through the full academy but if this is a reserve academy then the SO will have their own reserve academy covering just what they think is pertinent.
    I hope to lateral and work with Geneva County SO.

Comment

Originally posted by WARWAGON View Post
      What county will you be working as a reserve for?
      Not real sure. If that's an answer for you.
      I know that an actual reserve academy is different than a lateral academy or a full academy.
      If you will be acting on your own on the street then you will go through the full academy but if this is a reserve academy then the SO will have their own reserve academy covering just what they think is pertinent.
      I hope to lateral and work with Geneva County SO.
      Not 100% true. I have friends from Alabama, and they told me the JCSO Reserve Academy is an APOST full academy spread out over weekends. The only thing that is taught in the full academy that is left out of the reserve academy is jail management. In the end, you are still APOSTC. Some agencies have their own academy that has additional hours of training, some accept the 520 hours required for APOSTC.

They also stated that the style for this academy is probably 60% education, 40% PT, and it is generally not ran like a boot camp unless the class makeup is exceptionally "needing of structure".

I will see if I can find someone that has attended to come here and give a first hand experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
        Not 100% true. I have friends from Alabama, and they told me the JCSO Reserve Academy is an APOST full academy spread out over weekends. The only thing that is taught in the full academy that is left out of the reserve academy is jail management. In the end, you are still APOSTC. Some agencies have their own academy that has additional hours of training, some accept the 520 hours required for APOSTC.

They also stated that the style for this academy is probably 60% education, 40% PT, and it is generally not ran like a boot camp unless the class makeup is exceptionally "needing of structure".

I will see if I can find someone that has attended to come here and give a first hand experience.
        Shush, you're spot on. The academy is to have reserves APOST certified. My current department allows reserve deputies to work alone, providing they are certified. It's a terrific way to obtain a full time position. From what i can gather, our department gives preference to reserves, especially certified reserve deputies, when hiring.

Comment

I attended from 2001-2002. Had a Great experience. At my time it was pressed uniforms ,shined boots, no facial hair, morning formation to raise the colors , march in. And if you are ever in the hallway (outside the classroom) and see a visitor or Instructor - you are to place your back to the wall, at attention and state " By your leave Sir/Mam? " and they would state" carry on". If you didn't , you were giving 25+ push-ups. I made it through in a breeze , but I'm very disciplined. Good Luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3120 users online. 160 members and 2960 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X