300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic 480 Northeast Alabama

Other than the basic info available on their site, anyone have any thoughts or tips about this academy? Thanks for the insight!

It is held on the old Fort McClellan. It is about halfway between Montgomery's academy and the Tuscaloosa academy as far as discipline and structure goes.

You have to be there on Sunday and you do four ten-hour days with the weekend off. They issue you uniforms and you will run quite a bit, but NOTHING near the military style butt and mind reaming that the instructors at MPD dish out.

The staff instructors are top notch and they have instructors from outside agencies come and teach as well.

I was willingly abused for 16 weeks by the MPD staff in 1989 and would not take anything for the experience. So, I am a little biased towards the MPD Academy.

Greg, Brian, and Matt at NEAPA are tops! I help teach during firearms week for the basic class at NEAPA as well.

Comment

Looking for suggestions on what to study to get ready for the next class. I know to be familiar with Title 13 and 32. But wanted to get an idea as to how it is tested. Also, any other preparation tips (other than PT).

Comment

The Pt is not bad at all. Greg, Matt, and Brian are great at what they do. You will actually laugh a lot at Greg in class. PM me with other questions.

I had a much more detailed response but my computer locked up when I tried to post it.

PCSarge, PM me. My dad teaches during firearms week and I helped with the last re-cert class.
        Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go (Joshua 1:9).

Comment

Lots of people viewing this thread, but no one is posting. If you have any tips from what to study before hand to packing lists, lets hear them. Or any interesting stories while there. Thanks!

Comment

I would say pack plastic bowls and utensils, the food gets old so you may want to make your own occasionally. Toboggan and gloves b/c its going to be cold. Shoe polish, shaving products, and whatever you use to keep your appearance up. Appearance is important. I took my uniform to the cleaners every Friday when I got back to my city to keep for having to iron my uniform all the time. Starch for ironing just in case you have to. Washing detergent, dryer sheets, and a roll of quarters just in case you have to wash there. Most importantly, remember your there to work, you get paid to train. Your not there to make friends, if you do, fine, if you don’t, as long as you graduate that’s all that matters. Don’t get caught up trying to fit in.

Comment

Prior to the Academy you should concentrate on PT. Don't worry so much about learning the academic stuff ahead of time. You will be given all of the information that you need to pass. Use your free time wisely for study and rest and you should be fine. The Constitutional Law test is the "hardest". If you pay attention and study you should be fine. The CL test is pass/fail along with a few other phases.

***I did not go to NE. However, that is pretty much how all of the academies operate. Some just play more mind games than others.
              ROLL TIDE!!!

Comment

I have my application in with Madison County and as far as i know there new hires attend the north Alabama training facility at the old Fort McClellan. Can anyone tell me what the physical aspects of the training is like? I can pass all the requirements that i have seen but want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Thanks for allowing me on this great site.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntman
                  Has anyone heard anything about APOST starting a self sponser academy?
                  I believe I've read a post from you asking this before, and it's not going to happen any time soon in AL. No reason for it, the system of department-sponsored academies works perfectly fine, and I've yet to hear APOST or any departments collectively in AL asking for a change.

If you want to sponsor yourself through an academy in AL, some agencies have reserves and require them to pay for the reserve academy (held at the Jefferson Co Sheriff's Academy every other weekend for 13 months). If you have money to blow, that's your only shot at paying for an academy yourself in AL. Otherwise, look at FL where there are plenty of self-sponsored academies.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huntman
                    Thanks! If I was too go through an academy in TN, GA, or FL would I have too work the road for a while before I could lateral in AL?
                    Check the APOSTC website for lateral transfer requirements (I can tell you that out-of-state LEOs who transfer to AL still have to complete a 2-week lateral academy, which includes the APOST PT test and legal written test). But I have to ask, if you want to be a cop, why would you NOT want to work the streets and develop experience (even if outside of AL) to help you get on with the department you want?
                    sigpic

Comment

Be sure to refer to Staude as "Thumper"....

Comment

I'll be in the upcoming May 2nd class. Any more information on academy life? What type of lodging is provided? Any info is appreciated. THANKS!

Comment

Ellemaj28, I'll be happy to pass along all the info about it. I'll try to send you something tonight.

Comment

Ellemaj28 check your pm. Let me know what specific questions you have and I'll answer them for you. Good luck!

Comment

Got it. Thanks bro

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10729 users online. 526 members and 10203 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X