300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Aussie Police

Well, this pertains to not only South Australia, but possibly to all Australian PD's. Anyone know why they tend to still use revolvers? I heard they use .357 caliber revolvers, but a site said they carry .38 Specials. I can find more bad reasons than good ones about using revolvers, since I have shot my moms .38 Special when she worked armed security, and her 9mm Helwan.

Revolvers (The bad things):
    1. Too much recoil.
    2. Muzzle Flash is about as bright as a space shuttle launch.
    3. You can hear it being fired like 2 miles away. (Ok, not quite 2 miles away, but you get the point)
    4. You can't do quick shots with it like you can with a semi-auto.
    5. Most only have 6 rounds.

Revolvers (Good things)
    1. .38 Special and .357 Caliber usually have more stopping power than a lot of semi-automatics.

That's the only good thing I can think of about revolvers.

The Australian Police Departments should not force anyone to have to stick with a revolver, and let those who want to use their own gun (of course, as long as it's within the limits of a duty weapon, not like a .45 Desert Eagle or the like) that they should be allowed.

As far as I know, no Australian Police forces use revolvers, most seem to have gone over to Glocks.
    It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Comment

Most Australian police forces have transitioned to pistols. If I'm not mistaken, most have opted for the Glock 22 or 17. I believe Australian Protective Service uses the Sigma.

South Australia Police still issues revolvers, but are field testing semiautomatic pistols. I believe there may be one or two other Australian forces still using the revolver (Victoria?).

Any Australian police who know better, feel free to correct me.
      John from Maryland

Comment

Most department are using autos now but Victoria is still one of the ones holding out, I think the Northern Terrority Police is the other
        Main reason MONEY. It would cost a hell of a lot to outfit the Victorian police with new glocks or other weapon of choice, plus the re-training that would go with it. That would amount to a lot of overtime dollars just in the training alone.

Comment

SA and Victorian Police carry revolvers.
          Last edited by co911; 09-09-2007, 02:27 AM.
          It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

W.A carry Glock 22's and 23's, havent carried revolvers for at least 5 years now.
            It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen.

Comment

Originally posted by co911 View Post
              SA and Victorian Police carry revolvers.
              Here is SA our STAR Group (TRG) are currently trialing glocks and the department will review the trial after 12 mths.

Looking forward to having a lighter firearm and ease the strain on the hips and lower back.

The PASA (Police Assoc. of SA) are trying very hard to bring in the tazer to general patrols also...currently only held by STAR Group.

Keep up the good work folks...
              Adelaide....A gr8 place to live and a gr8 place to Police.

Comment

I have carried both revolvers and semi-autos on the job (I started way back when!) I never felt undergunned.
                The downsides to revolvers are the limited ammo supply and slow reloads. But with most police shootings in the U.S. requiring less than 6 rounds fired by all parties, that is not important.

The biggest difference is that when a revolver malfunctions, it usually requires an armorer to get it working. Even the worst malfunctions with a semi-auto can be cleared by the officer in seconds (which can be a lifetime in a gunfight).

It's the shooter, more than the firearm, that determines the winner on the street.
                Last edited by Sleuth; 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM.
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by x0xStrickenx0x View Post
                  Well, this pertains to not only South Australia, but possibly to all Australian PD's. Anyone know why they tend to still use revolvers? I heard they use .357 caliber revolvers, but a site said they carry .38 Specials. I can find more bad reasons than good ones about using revolvers, since I have shot my moms .38 Special when she worked armed security, and her 9mm Helwan.

Revolvers (The bad things):
                  1. Too much recoil.
                  2. Muzzle Flash is about as bright as a space shuttle launch.
                  3. You can hear it being fired like 2 miles away. (Ok, not quite 2 miles away, but you get the point)
                  4. You can't do quick shots with it like you can with a semi-auto.

5. Most only have 6 rounds.

Revolvers (Good things)
                  1. .38 Special and .357 Caliber usually have more stopping power than a lot of semi-automatics.

That's the only good thing I can think of about revolvers.

The Australian Police Departments should not force anyone to have to stick with a revolver, and let those who want to use their own gun (of course, as long as it's within the limits of a duty weapon, not like a .45 Desert Eagle or the like) that they should be allowed.
                  1. Wrong, recoils can be controlled.
                  2. Muzzle flash is fine.
                  3.They're not as loud as most SLPs.
                  4. You're very wrong about that, here's a vid for your info.....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  The officer doesn't carry his sword in vain, he's a minister of God to carry out justice. Romans 13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2313 users online. 98 members and 2215 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X