300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyncorp - Afghanistan Mission

I was looking for some first hand accounts of the conditions in Afghanistan for Dyncorp police contractors. I have a buddy who is thinking about doing a year over there and was curious about what life is like as a police mentor over there. Thanks.

I worked for DynCorp on another contract and they take care of you pretty good. You may get screwed on something small, but they won't leave you hanging for the locals or throw you to the wolves.

Afghanistan is a dangerous place, though. One of my supervisors took his next contract in Afghanistan and died there.

Sorry I don't have anything really specific to give you, but if he goes best of luck to him.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Some years ago LAW & ORDER had an article from an officer who did a tour in Kosovo. He had to bring his own towels, sheets, pillows, etc.; hot water for 1 hour a day; elctricity only a couple of hours a day; and they found a dead critter in the well the cook used for cooking water.
      He need to talk directly to folks who have been there before - to get the real details. It is a job worth doing, and the pay is good.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
        Some years ago LAW & ORDER had an article from an officer who did a tour in Kosovo. He had to bring his own towels, sheets, pillows, etc.; hot water for 1 hour a day; elctricity only a couple of hours a day; and they found a dead critter in the well the cook used for cooking water.
        He need to talk directly to folks who have been there before - to get the real details. It is a job worth doing, and the pay is good.

Who did he do a tour with and when? I know several guys who've worked in Kosovo on an ITT contract and none reported any kind of conditions like that.
        I miss you, Dave.

Comment

TeeJay -

I have worked for DynCorp before and I have a couple of friends in Afghanistan now. Cruiserclass is correct about Dyn. Overall they take pretty good care of you. Like any other employer, there is always something to gripe and moan about. CC is also right about the risk. There is real danger there but there is also a real need to provide civilian expertise to the effort. The soldiers are great (Phenomenal really) but civilian policing is not their line. If your friend wants to do something challenging, Afghanistan would be a good place to do it.

Conditions can vary from place to place - in some places they live in "container" housing (essentially little mini mobile homes.). Some of the containers are single person room type - in others they have roommates. There are also some places where they live in large tents. The tents have floors and are subdivided to give you a little privacy. Most everyone lives in a military camp with the associated support like showers and a dining facility etc. It isn't home but I'm reminded of Matther 11:8 - "...what went you out to see? a man clothed in soft garments? ..." It is Afghanistan after all.

Comment

What is the pay like? I've heard for places like Qatar it's only 40-50,000.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Charles501 View Post
              What is the pay like? I've heard for places like Qatar it's only 40-50,000.
              Qatar is about 75-80 a year....

The other stuff they runs about 134K in Iraq.....and 118K in Afganistan....

http://www.dyncorprecruiting.com/ext/subpage.asp

FYI....None of them stuff they have is entry level......nor should it be....

Comment

I served overseas in Qatar for a short period with the Army before being shipped out to another post. We did base L&O (we were MP's) with a secondary mission to back up the SecFor as a QRF/Base Defense element. So the pay is in the 75000-80000 range? Any perks for staying on past a year?

What about families? I know when I was in Qatar some Army personnel were allowed to have families over there (crazy as it may seem to some).

Comment

Qatar got a raise since I left, then. It was just a bit under $60k when I left. There was a slight hourly increase for signing another contract.

You could have your family if you wanted to bring them yourself, but it was technically not allowed to have them in company provided housing. That rule was commonly ignored, though, and it seems it still is. Everything is cheap except rent, so getting your own place is a pricey proposition.

The threat is pretty low in Qatar. Just blend in a bit and you'll be fine off duty. The only problem for your family is that they'll probably get bored. It's a tiny place and not a lot going on. If you have school aged kids, education might be an issue as well.
                  I miss you, Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                    The only problem for your family is that they'll probably get bored. It's a tiny place and not a lot going on. If you have school aged kids, education might be an issue as well.
                    That would be the biggest problem I see.....having a family cooped up in a small APT all day while you are at work.....with nothing to do.....

When I did PMC work most of the guys that were married sucked it up and did 6 months, went on vacation, then came back and finished things up.......

Comment

I don't recall if the author worked for Dynacorp, but I think he did. Perhaps they changed their 'business model' after the article came out.

That was then (and there), this is now and someplace else.

I was tempted to do a contract myself, but I have already missed too much time with my wife.
                      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by 3Charles501 View Post
                        I served overseas in Qatar for a short period with the Army before being shipped out to another post. We did base L&O (we were MP's) with a secondary mission to back up the SecFor as a QRF/Base Defense element. So the pay is in the 75000-80000 range? Any perks for staying on past a year?

What about families? I know when I was in Qatar some Army personnel were allowed to have families over there (crazy as it may seem to some).
                        I just got an e-mail from a buddy who's still over there and he said that DynCorp has now lost the Qatar contract to ITT. DynCorp is protesting the contract, but as of now ITT will be taking it over. Offers to current contractors are supposed to come out in early August, and he doesn't know how it will affect families in housing.

Afghanistan is reportedly about $130k on the poppy eradication mission.
                        I miss you, Dave.

Comment

There are quite a few officers from this area that have or are doing DynCorp in Iraq and have done Kusovo. They have done multiple tours and some are talking about going back for another tour. They said the hardest part is being away from the family. After the first three months, you get use to the job and the conditions and remember that at the end of each month there is a big fat pay check for you.
                          there's always some idiot trying to ice skate up hill

Comment

I was wondering when they would get around to this.

Be prepared for some frustration. The ANP is more like a militia adjunct to the army. They get paid crap and aren't really well respected so there are lots of morale and corruption problems. Of course the Taliban/gangs make a concerted effort to target them, so it's like living in a crosshair.

Not trying to discourage you. Just pointing out this won't be like the last recruit class you had in your department.

Comment

Dyncorp

I must say I would never work for that company man. Some of the guys I lived by were about as useful as a football bat! Seriously though MVM has a great mission in Afghanistan, and professionals on top of that. Im not sayin anything bad about police officers, but Dyncorp tends to hire all police the problem is its a war zone not a residential area you know? Just dont join up on a wim its a big decision to go over with guys you dont know.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2868 users online. 202 members and 2666 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X