NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Forces England and Wales

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Forces England and Wales

    Chief Inspector of Constabulary Warns Over Fragile 43 Force Model.

    In his final State of Policing assessment, Chief Inspector of Constabulary Sir Tom Winsor – who leaves the HMICFRS at the end of this month – has praised the efforts of officers and staff, but highlighted significant concerns including the fragility of the 43-force model in England and Wales - Source: Policing Insight.

    Given that Scotland amalgamated all of its Police Forces into one now known as Police Scotland my thinking is that it is only a matter of time before England and Wales follow in the same way.

    Last edited by JohnKelly; 03-23-2022, 02:44 AM.

  • #2
    Wales' four police forces should be scrapped and replaced with a single nationwide service, according to Dyfed-Powys Police's new chief constable.

    Dyfed-Powys Police boss Richard Lewis says the service should be unified by 2030.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, it is an interesting idea.
      Personally I would do two/three things:
      • Firstly - merge the 39 into one English national civilian force
      • Sedondly - merge the 4 Welsh into a national civilian force
      • Thirdly - de-merge all PCSOs, CEOs, parking attendants, council wardens, CSAS etc, into a local police force that is part of the local authority.
      The locals would have full powers, in their area only. Nationals armed and national powers.

      That way you have a national police for response and serious crime and local officers for local work.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Aspiring Bobby View Post
        Yes, it is an interesting idea.
        Personally I would do two/three things:
        • Firstly - merge the 39 into one English national civilian force
        • Sedondly - merge the 4 Welsh into a national civilian force
        • Thirdly - de-merge all PCSOs, CEOs, parking attendants, council wardens, CSAS etc, into a local police force that is part of the local authority.
        The locals would have full powers, in their area only. Nationals armed and national powers.

        That way you have a national police for response and serious crime and local officers for local work.
        I find it interesting browsing through the UK Police Forces individual websites, particularly those who are outside the realm of the Home Office such as various Port Authority Police Forces, the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and the Ministry of Defence Police.

        I support the view of many serving police officers in the UK that PCSO's (Police Community Support Officers) were introduced as a cheap form of policing, no disrespects to serving PCSO's intended.

        Special Constables are a different story although I can never understand why one would want to do such a job as a volunteer without payment.

        Anyhow, best wishes on your desire to join the job.

        Cheers.

        Comment


        • #5
          What training tdo PCSOs go through? Hiring standards? Jurisdiction?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JohnKelly View Post

            I find it interesting browsing through the UK Police Forces individual websites, particularly those who are outside the realm of the Home Office such as various Port Authority Police Forces, the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and the Ministry of Defence Police.

            I support the view of many serving police officers in the UK that PCSO's (Police Community Support Officers) were introduced as a cheap form of policing, no disrespects to serving PCSO's intended.

            Special Constables are a different story although I can never understand why one would want to do such a job as a volunteer without payment.

            Anyhow, best wishes on your desire to join the job.

            Cheers.
            Yes, I have always found the UK and the US really interesting, with regards to law enforcement / policing.

            Yes, there are many and varied, although much less well-known than some of the US ones.

            There are even about four cathedral constabularies!

            Thanks, appreciate it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              What training tdo PCSOs go through? Hiring standards? Jurisdiction?
              So, they go through decent training course, probably about five to ten weeks is the average.

              The main thing with PCSOs is that each force determines the training, powers and role. I.e. unlike a constable one force PCSO might be quite different to another.

              Jurisdiction is normally just in their force area and only whilst in uniform (main difference with a constable).
              Hiring standards, normal stuff, no serious criminal record, basic fitness test (bleep test level 5.4) and of course interview(s).

              Some forces give them handcuffs, but only a few forces do this (but all can in law).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JohnKelly View Post
                Wales' four police forces should be scrapped and replaced with a single nationwide service, according to Dyfed-Powys Police's new chief constable.

                https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-60901593
                More on All Wales Police Force,

                Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price has called for an all-Wales police force in the wake of allegations made against some Gwent Police officers. Creating an All-Wales Police force can help regain trust and foster a better culture in Welsh Policing following allegations of racism, misogyny, and homophobia within Gwent Police, he said. Replacing the existing […]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Firstly - merge the 39 into one English national civilian force... merge the 4 Welsh into a national civilian ...merge all PCSOs, CEOs, parking attendants, council wardens, CSAS etc, into a local police force that is part of the local authority
                  This does sound rather like something that looks better on paper than in reality. I have no huge objection to a national force (being able to immediately access every force's crimes and intel would be handy) but, in England at least, there is a high degree of cooperation anyway and given the large size of existing forces, it is relatively easy to shift resources around at short notice. Plus there is a bit of risk of officers all draining into England Nice Bit rather than staying and policing England Sh*t Hole if they could move anywhere (you can of course presently transfer, but it is a heck of a lot easier to do so internally than externally).

                  The notion of forming one Welsh Police/Heddlu Cymru (I've no doubt that isn't correct in Welsh) seems attractive but North Wales Police receive an awful lot of business from Merseyside in England and a heck of a lot less from South Wales (if you don't know the area, it's much, much easier to travel from North Wales to South Wales via England than by, just driving north/south). In purely Policing terms, it would likely make more sense to amalgamate South Wales and Avon & Somerset (English) into super forces and North Wales and Merseyside/Cheshire (English). But that wouldn't look neat, as so often things in life are not,
                  Last edited by Cockney Corner.; 01-27-2023, 05:15 PM.
                  I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 2492 users online. 134 members and 2358 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X