300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Forces England and Wales

Chief Inspector of Constabulary Warns Over Fragile 43 Force Model.

In his final State of Policing assessment, Chief Inspector of Constabulary Sir Tom Winsor – who leaves the HMICFRS at the end of this month – has praised the efforts of officers and staff, but highlighted significant concerns including the fragility of the 43-force model in England and Wales - Source: Policing Insight.

Given that Scotland amalgamated all of its Police Forces into one now known as Police Scotland my thinking is that it is only a matter of time before England and Wales follow in the same way.

https://www.policesuccess.co.uk/forces.html
    Last edited by JohnKelly; 03-23-2022, 01:44 AM.

Wales' four police forces should be scrapped and replaced with a single nationwide service, according to Dyfed-Powys Police's new chief constable.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-60901593

Comment

Yes, it is an interesting idea.
      Personally I would do two/three things:
      • Firstly - merge the 39 into one English national civilian force
      • Sedondly - merge the 4 Welsh into a national civilian force
      • Thirdly - de-merge all PCSOs, CEOs, parking attendants, council wardens, CSAS etc, into a local police force that is part of the local authority.
      The locals would have full powers, in their area only. Nationals armed and national powers.

That way you have a national police for response and serious crime and local officers for local work.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspiring Bobby View Post
        Yes, it is an interesting idea.
        Personally I would do two/three things:
        • Firstly - merge the 39 into one English national civilian force
        • Sedondly - merge the 4 Welsh into a national civilian force
        • Thirdly - de-merge all PCSOs, CEOs, parking attendants, council wardens, CSAS etc, into a local police force that is part of the local authority.
        The locals would have full powers, in their area only. Nationals armed and national powers.

That way you have a national police for response and serious crime and local officers for local work.
        I find it interesting browsing through the UK Police Forces individual websites, particularly those who are outside the realm of the Home Office such as various Port Authority Police Forces, the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and the Ministry of Defence Police.

I support the view of many serving police officers in the UK that PCSO's (Police Community Support Officers) were introduced as a cheap form of policing, no disrespects to serving PCSO's intended.

Special Constables are a different story although I can never understand why one would want to do such a job as a volunteer without payment.

Anyhow, best wishes on your desire to join the job.

Cheers.

Comment

What training tdo PCSOs go through? Hiring standards? Jurisdiction?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKelly View Post

I find it interesting browsing through the UK Police Forces individual websites, particularly those who are outside the realm of the Home Office such as various Port Authority Police Forces, the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and the Ministry of Defence Police.

I support the view of many serving police officers in the UK that PCSO's (Police Community Support Officers) were introduced as a cheap form of policing, no disrespects to serving PCSO's intended.

Special Constables are a different story although I can never understand why one would want to do such a job as a volunteer without payment.

Anyhow, best wishes on your desire to join the job.

Cheers.
            Yes, I have always found the UK and the US really interesting, with regards to law enforcement / policing.

Yes, there are many and varied, although much less well-known than some of the US ones.

There are even about four cathedral constabularies!

Thanks, appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              What training tdo PCSOs go through? Hiring standards? Jurisdiction?
              So, they go through decent training course, probably about five to ten weeks is the average.

The main thing with PCSOs is that each force determines the training, powers and role. I.e. unlike a constable one force PCSO might be quite different to another.

Jurisdiction is normally just in their force area and only whilst in uniform (main difference with a constable).
              Hiring standards, normal stuff, no serious criminal record, basic fitness test (bleep test level 5.4) and of course interview(s).

Some forces give them handcuffs, but only a few forces do this (but all can in law).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5007 users online. 305 members and 4702 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X