Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a US cop with dual citizenship become a UK cop?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a US cop with dual citizenship become a UK cop?

I'm curious, I have dual citizenship and looked into joining London PD. They told me I had to live in the UK for 18 months before applying. Is this the same nationwide?
    "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
    sigpic

According to the UK Police recruitment site (www.policecouldyou.co.uk) the rules are that:

You must be a British citizen, an EC/EEA national or a Commonwealth citizen or foreign national with no restrictions on your stay in the United Kingdom.

Foreign nationals and UK citizens who have lived abroad may have to wait some time for security and vetting clearance. All applicants have to be vetted to the same standard before appointment.

The same standard should apply across the country.

London is policed by the Metropolitan Police Service (universally known as "the Met" rather than "London PD") and the City of London Police, which is responsible for the financial district. You can check on the above web-site whether these or the sixty or so other police forces in the UK have vacancies.
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

All that rain in Seattle caused your brain to rot? Look at all the problems the UK cops have, and tell me you really want to go through all that s--t!

Comment

Can it be worse

Have you ever spoken to anyone who works out here It can't be any worse than the crap we put up with out here.
        "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cgh6366 View Post
          Have you ever spoken to anyone who works out here It can't be any worse than the crap we put up with out here.
          Such as ..? Not wishing to make the obvious "the grass is always greener .." comment, but check out the number of threads on O.Com by Brits hoping to become cops in the US. Plus of course you wouldn't carry a firearm over here, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Comment

You're a lot less likely to be shot in the U.K though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbycop View Post
              You're a lot less likely to be shot in the U.K though.
              True, but then we don't throw live Molotov cocktails at our recruits during training, either.
              Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees View Post
                True, but then we don't throw live Molotov cocktails at our recruits during training, either.
                I didn't mind having Molotov cocktails thrown at me during public order training. I wasn't too keen however on the scaffolding clips which you also get lobbed at you.

Comment

they throw Molotov cocktails at you during training!? like live OMFG FRY YOU Molotov cocktails!? WTF.. or is it like when they shot M60's over our head in basic training? They were shooting live rounds at us yes, but they were locked into place and had NO chance of actually hitting us. Like that?

Comment

So here we get sprayed in the face with OC and shocked with a taser. I'd take the cocktail over those any day of the week. I just don't think I'd be down with the bobbie helmets.....

Comment

Just to clarify, we wear flameproof overalls, flame resistant pants and pull-overs, flashovers, helmets with visors and carry shields when they throw petrol bombs at us. I mean we're pretty tough, but we're not that hard ...

And we don't get tasered (though we do get sprayed). So you guys win there I think.

Comment

[email protected] petrol bombs

Comment

They call it 'petrol reception' - a couple of pints of unleaded works wonders

Comment

even more interesting when they put sugar and elastic bands into the bombs

i remember when i did my training they said if you managed to get hands on to a petrol bomber it counted as an arrest........i saw my moment went for a bomber and copped 4 petrol bombs for my trouble, took 4 people with Halon extinguishers to put me out........taught me a valuable lesson

great fun though, i recommend it

Comment

Mental note to self: must NEVER EVER whinge about my training days ever again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3210 users online. 173 members and 3037 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X