Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruitment Of 20,000 New Police Officers - UK

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recruitment Of 20,000 New Police Officers - UK

    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49123319

    Word is that there is a slump in those interested in policing as a career and there will be difficulty in attracting the required numbers.

    I reckon if I were to serve in a UK Police Force my choice would be Police Scotland and stationed in a small town in the Highlands but maybe I have been watching too much of Hamish McBeth,

    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111993/

    Cheers.

  • #2
    I don't think there will be any issue getting the required numbers - the issue has always been retention in the first couple of years, when people realise this is actually demanding and thankless work. The pension did use to be the big selling point but frankly, that's no great shakes now.
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

    Comment


    • #3
      .................
      Last edited by CCCSD; 08-10-2019, 04:00 PM.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
        I don't think there will be any issue getting the required numbers - the issue has always been retention in the first couple of years, when people realise this is actually demanding and thankless work. The pension did use to be the big selling point but frankly, that's no great shakes now.
        I recall many years ago in the late 1950's reading recruitment advertisements for county forces where it stated that houses were provided for married members; is that still the case and for my second question, are there any other UK Police Forces that provide Section Houses for single members such as the one provided by the City of London Force?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JohnKelly View Post

          I recall many years ago in the late 1950's reading recruitment advertisements for county forces where it stated that houses were provided for married members; is that still the case and for my second question, are there any other UK Police Forces that provide Section Houses for single members such as the one provided by the City of London Force?
          I can't be absolutely certain but I rather think no and no. There were still officers who lived in houses provided by the force when I joined (my tutor/FTO for one, who often bemoaned that he couldn't afford to buy it due to a messy divorce) but the last ones were sold off years ago. We had one remaining Section House up to perhaps ten years ago (known as "Heartbreak Hotel" as the occupants were more often officers going through a divorce rather than single men or women) but again, the land was sold off.
          I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post

            I can't be absolutely certain but I rather think no and no. There were still officers who lived in houses provided by the force when I joined (my tutor/FTO for one, who often bemoaned that he couldn't afford to buy it due to a messy divorce) but the last ones were sold off years ago. We had one remaining Section House up to perhaps ten years ago (known as "Heartbreak Hotel" as the occupants were more often officers going through a divorce rather than single men or women) but again, the land was sold off.
            Regarding the Section Houses, I remember now, I stayed at Bernard Morgan House in Golden Lane London, my stay was arranged through the International Police Association.

            I see it has been demolished,

            https://opengoldenlane.blogspot.com/...-cohesive.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by JohnKelly View Post

              Regarding the Section Houses, I remember now, I stayed at Bernard Morgan House in Golden Lane London, my stay was arranged through the International Police Association. I see it has now been demolished
              I'm not surprised. A one bedroom flat in the Barbican, which is right next door to Golden Lane, goes for around a million pounds.

              Ignoring the obvious financial benefits of Police forces selling off valuable land they own (mine is rapidly divesting itself of old Police Stations and moving into much smaller, shared, premises) it's all about a change of attitude to Policing. We all work a lot of hours and Policing tends to dominate our lives. But back in the day, Policing was literally your whole life. You had a Police house in return for being on duty even when you were off duty. If something happened, you could expect local people to come to your house and fetch you to deal with it. Your wife would also be expected to play her part. You could and would be disciplined for coming to the door of your own house minus a tie. More recently, if you lived in a Section House, the expectation again was that you would be available to be turned out of your room to deal with incidents on days off. Whilst the latter is something you might accept today if you are in your early 20's with no family commitments and bags of energy (and on the understanding that you will receive overtime, which would have been double pay minimum for four hours, even if you were only needed for an hour, when I first joined) people generally want to have a life separate from their job. And who can blame them.
              I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

              Comment

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 4839 users online. 183 members and 4656 guests.

              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X