Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
    There is one question I have
    Well, I wasn't going to respond since I did post to hear people's opinions, but go on then, just this once.

When the author says he works for the queen, not the British government, what exactly does that mean??
    I assume he was referring to the oath he and I took to:

[W]ell and truly serve Our Sovereign Lady The Queen in the office of constable, without favour or affection, malice or ill will; and that I will to the best of my power cause the peace to be kept and preserved, and prevent all offences against the persons and properties of Her Majesty’s subjects [...]"

We hold the office of constable from the Crown, not the Government. As such, for example, I cannot be ordered by anyone to make an arrest. Not by the Prime Minister, not by a Chief Constable.

And how does that remove politics from LE?
    The Queen is above politics. She has been the monarch since Truman was President, has had thirteen different Prime Ministers, all with various political positions and has never seriously been accused of partiality.

And isn't it just a little weird to assign loyalty to a person because of their bloodline?
    Of course it is. You don't have hereditary surgeons or hereditary pilots. There are pieces of orange peel floating down the Thames who would make better sovereigns than ones we have had in the past. But we are very fortunate to have a person on the throne at present who is an excellent Head of State.

I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Interesting. Not sure I fully understand the concept of peace officer authority granted not by the state but by a royal matriarch, but there's a lot of things I don't understand.

And it gets back to your original question: What is your perception of British police officers?

Answer: fascinating system but one we rejected 243 years ago.
      There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

Interesting. Not sure I fully understand the concept of peace officer authority granted not by the state but by a royal matriarch, but there's a lot of things I don't understand.
        Well, The Queen is the state. Literally. All laws are Her Majesty's (as promulgated by Parliament). The Queen cannot be arrested or tried (short of a revolution) since she is literally The Law (somewhat like Judge Dredd). All property ultimately belongs to HM (so we hold property either freehold or leasehold, with the former meaning free of title except for the fact that it belongs to the Crown).

And it gets back to your original question: What is your perception of British police officers? Answer: fascinating system but one we rejected 243 years ago.
        You'll come round.
        I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

No. We won’t. That is a system that is rapidly failing.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post

Well, I wasn't going to respond since I did post to hear people's opinions, but go on then, just this once.

I assume he was referring to the oath he and I took to:

[W]ell and truly serve Our Sovereign Lady The Queen in the office of constable, without favour or affection, malice or ill will; and that I will to the best of my power cause the peace to be kept and preserved, and prevent all offences against the persons and properties of Her Majesty’s subjects [...]"

We hold the office of constable from the Crown, not the Government. As such, for example, I cannot be ordered by anyone to make an arrest. Not by the Prime Minister, not by a Chief Constable.

The Queen is above politics. She has been the monarch since Truman was President, has had thirteen different Prime Ministers, all with various political positions and has never seriously been accused of partiality.

Of course it is. You don't have hereditary surgeons or hereditary pilots. There are pieces of orange peel floating down the Thames who would make better sovereigns than ones we have had in the past. But we are very fortunate to have a person on the throne at present who is an excellent Head of State.
            Well done, sir!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              No. We won’t. That is a system that is rapidly failing.

What is your perception of British police officers? - I am finding this to be an interesting topic in terms of international policing and would like it to run its course; surely life in The Land of The Free can be another topic in another forum.

Comment

There are two types of people in this world: those who are humble and those who will be humbled.

Comment

Good on you Richard and that's a pretty impressive rack of gongs you've got,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...olice-17996563

Best wishes

Comment

Five arrests in fifty years? Is that a common statistic for police in the UK?

Crosspost to "Police and Society: Cops or Official Greeters??"

Comment

Crosspost to "Police and Society: Cops or Official Greeters??"
                      He’s a volunteer, like a limited status reserve.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You already know the answer to that and I'm getting the gist of your previous posts within this topic.

We know where you are going with topic and it's not happening, you need more experience in bait laying.
                        Last edited by JohnKelly; 07-13-2019, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Speaking of bait, here's a joke:

What do you call an experienced and highly valued employee in a bait shop?

Comment

I have been able to travel widely - about 15 countries (and one US Territory). The greatest difference I noted was less in the police, but more in the people in the UK. There was much greater acceptance of 'Government rules' - a feeling that 'If the Government says "we should", then we will comply'. That feeling is totally absent in the US, where many relish "bending" the law. But this compliance is much of what allows the police in the UK to arrest folks unarmed. The officers I met were polite, friendly, and far less concerned about their personal safety than cops on this side of the pond.

As to the police museum in Scotland Yard, I asked some officers about it. They said they were not allowed to visit it, and tourists, even LE tourists, would not get in unless they were Chiefs of major departments or the like. As a US Federal Agent, I had no chance of getting into the museum.

All this was prior to the influx of "refugees" from Muslim countries, which may have changed the complexion of the society. I understand there are now 30+ Sharia courts operating in England - I don't know if they have exclusive authority, or what would happen if a resident of such an area violated UK law and Sharia law - who would have jurisdiction?

I found a difference in the attitudes of the "helmeted' officers - "Bobbies" (unarmed), and the 'flat hats' who were armed. I don't know if that distinction is still in place.

An interesting topic.
                            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                            John Stuart Mill

Comment

englandisameme.png
                              You could end up in T R O U B L E

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11772 users online. 458 members and 11314 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X