Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Police chief who locked himself in car during Westminster terror attack to retire

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Police chief who locked himself in car during Westminster terror attack to retire

So, the actions of then acting Police Commissioner Sir Craig Mckey have stirred up some debate over here.

On 22nd March 2017, one Khalid Masood drove along Westminster Bridge in the centre of London, driving into and killing pedestrians as he did so. He then ran into the grounds of the Houses of Parliament (which are right next to the bridge) fatally stabbed an unarmed police officer, PC Keith Palmer, and was then shot dead by an armed officer. Driving out of Parliament, as Masood was running towards it, was Sir Craig, who had been in a meeting. Sir Craig subsequently described seeing Masood with a large knife and formed the view that he was “clearly a threat.” His reaction was to lock the doors of his car and witness PC Palmer suffer “two determined stab wounds” before “moving backwards and him going down”. He stated that though he wanted to get out “we have got no protective equipment, no radio” and “I have got two colleagues with me who are quite distressed”. Sir Craig added “If anyone had got out, the way this Masood was looking, anyone who got in his way would have been a target.”

Just to anticipate one possible comment. Acting Commissioner Mckey didn’t have a gun. PC Palmer didn’t have a gun. Saying “well, they should have been armed” is irrelevant. They weren’t.

However, it has been pointed out that in the subsequent 3rd June 2017 ramming and stabbing terror attack in central London, similarly unarmed people did seek to intervene. It might also be questioned why an on-duty officer (or rather three, presumably a driver and staff officer) didn’t have any equipment, even a radio in a briefcase. A baton against a knife is pretty damn useless to be frank but it would have been better than nothing. However, a car against a man with a knife, well there’s a different story …
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Maybe this is another wake up call to arm cops in the UK?
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Only the Junior Staff. Senior staff need more retirements...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Happily, the Coroner has now resolved the situation by stating that there was nothing Sir Craig could have done to stop Masood as "Even if he had got out of the car, it was clear from the CCTV evidence he would not have reached PC Palmer before Masood inflicted his fatal wounds". And happily Sir Craig, with his ability to see into the immediate future, was aware of this and need not have endangered himself. So, all sorted, sorry to have posted, nothing to see here.
        I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
          PeteBroccolo commented
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully all British Police Officers remember this when meeting Sir Craig at whatever dress function he dares wear his uniform to, and politely call him on it.
          I can not imagine that Sir Craig or his passengers did not have a cell phone on them at the time. I hear that those devices can be used to contact emergency services; maybe they forgot the number?

When is The Investiture..?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
          Happily, the Coroner has now resolved the situation by stating that there was nothing Sir Craig could have done to stop Masood as "Even if he had got out of the car, it was clear from the CCTV evidence he would not have reached PC Palmer before Masood inflicted his fatal wounds". And happily Sir Craig, with his ability to see into the immediate future, was aware of this and need not have endangered himself. So, all sorted, sorry to have posted, nothing to see here.
          But what if...he actually tried.

Comment

Originally posted by TUNEDNIMPORTED View Post

But what if...he actually tried.
            That would require courage. Something this wanker doesn’t possess.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Corner. View Post
              So, the actions of then acting Police Commissioner Sir Craig Mckey have stirred up some debate over here.

On 22nd March 2017, one Khalid Masood drove along Westminster Bridge in the centre of London, driving into and killing pedestrians as he did so. He then ran into the grounds of the Houses of Parliament (which are right next to the bridge) fatally stabbed an unarmed police officer, PC Keith Palmer, and was then shot dead by an armed officer. Driving out of Parliament, as Masood was running towards it, was Sir Craig, who had been in a meeting. Sir Craig subsequently described seeing Masood with a large knife and formed the view that he was “clearly a threat.” His reaction was to lock the doors of his car and witness PC Palmer suffer “two determined stab wounds” before “moving backwards and him going down”. He stated that though he wanted to get out “we have got no protective equipment, no radio” and “I have got two colleagues with me who are quite distressed”. Sir Craig added “If anyone had got out, the way this Masood was looking, anyone who got in his way would have been a target.”

Just to anticipate one possible comment. Acting Commissioner Mckey didn’t have a gun. PC Palmer didn’t have a gun. Saying “well, they should have been armed” is irrelevant. They weren’t.

However, it has been pointed out that in the subsequent 3rd June 2017 ramming and stabbing terror attack in central London, similarly unarmed people did seek to intervene. It might also be questioned why an on-duty officer (or rather three, presumably a driver and staff officer) didn’t have any equipment, even a radio in a briefcase. A baton against a knife is pretty damn useless to be frank but it would have been better than nothing. However, a car against a man with a knife, well there’s a different story …
              The irony of all this is that we have people questioning why an unarmed cop didn’t have his radio, while a fellow cop is being stabbed by a terrorist. If he had a radio, what’s his plan? Call for backup from another unarmed cop? Call for backup and wait for the armed police to arrive? And then justify the lack of response by saying the coroner believes the commissioner couldn’t have saved Constable Palmer anyway, so why try!

Thankfully a cop with a gun ended this. It shouldn’t be a mystery that a good guy with a gun can usually win against a bad guy with a knife.

Unfortunately, the ostriches will cling to an outdated tradition and stick their heads in the sand.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

And this is WHY we carry over here. Brits are free to do what they wish...just stop moaning about dead cops.

You can fix it, if you have The Balls.

Comment

• reils49
                  reils49 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly!!!!!

Where's Inspector Gadget when you need him? It's just for matters like this that his voice was needed. I'm sorry he was silenced.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Is there any reason he couldn’t have floored it and run over him to stop the killing?

Armed or. It any police officer who sits and watches another police officer murdered withodiing anything should be thrown in prison.

Comment

Using a car to hit a killer is a violation of their rights. Not sporting, eh what?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8931 users online. 295 members and 8636 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X