300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAM Experience: FT vs PT

Question: Is three years part time as a reserve Leo, considered adequate experience for the Federal Air Marshal application?

Back ground:
    I’m 22yrs old, married, and have 15 credits towards a LE degree.
    I’m working two jobs from 0230-1800 a day. Im considering how to best prepare for a career as a FAM.
    Ive decided I need to leave one job so I have time to per-sue what I really want to do, ideally I would no longer work either job and move over to LE full time however I need to pay bills and my wife needs to eat.
    I figure the best way to get a foot in the door is to start as a reserve with local LE, I know that the FAM program requires three years of prior similar experience so my question... is three years of reserve experience enough or is that three years of FT?
    Also would a degree be more valuable as far as hiring, then three years as a reserve?
    Thanks for your input!

P.S. It May sound like I’m trying to due minimal work, I’m not! Just trying to figure out how to transfer jobs and still have a paycheck.

No. That’s not three years of LE work. They mean full time.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by AirSpartan View Post
      Question: Is three years part time as a reserve Leo, considered adequate experience for the Federal Air Marshal application?

Back ground:
      I’m 22yrs old, married, and have 15 credits towards a LE degree.
      I’m working two jobs from 0230-1800 a day. Im considering how to best prepare for a career as a FAM.
      Ive decided I need to leave one job so I have time to per-sue what I really want to do, ideally I would no longer work either job and move over to LE full time however I need to pay bills and my wife needs to eat.
      I figure the best way to get a foot in the door is to start as a reserve with local LE, I know that the FAM program requires three years of prior similar experience so my question... is three years of reserve experience enough or is that three years of FT?
      Also would a degree be more valuable as far as hiring, then three years as a reserve?
      Thanks for your input!

P.S. It May sound like I’m trying to due minimal work, I’m not! Just trying to figure out how to transfer jobs and still have a paycheck.
      I spoke to a FAM the other day and they seem to hire some really diverse people. As long as you have a degree and move through their process you'll be ok. The person I spoke too was a former Male Nanny lol with a BA in Counseling.

Comment

Wow, good to know.

Comment

I'll give you my experience with a part of the process

I got the impression they were looking more for people who already had LEO/Military experience, a degree is more or less something you can place a checkmark next to on a list. Im not sure part time as a reserve office will suffice for the requirement, but I'm not on the hiring board. Be mindful in the event you get the job it will be stressful on your marriage. FAM is great job for someone single, but you will be away from your loved one for long periods of time.

Comment

Are the FAM's hiring right now? I checked USA Jobs and couldn't find the posting
            The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe in the future, but not right now. People who have made it through the process are still waiting on class dates.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11606 users online. 470 members and 11136 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X