300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCMP - Swapping Red For Blue

I have read the same story in other places and it is sad to see, the RCMP is/was a renowned national police force and from the reader's comments from within the attached news report it is obvious that all is not well within the RCMP.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp...lice-1.4037752

I just met a couple RCMP guys on an assignment, we were talking about this issue. Not much different from anywhere else. Folks are going to leave for agencies who offer more money.

Comment

The Prestige and fancy dress uniform does not put food on the table.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
        The Prestige and fancy dress uniform does not put food on the table.
        G'day Sleuth, respects to a fellow long time O.com member.

Fair go mate, the RCMP red serge goes back a long way and is steeped in Canadian Police history and you as an American should be the last one to talk about 'prestige and fancy dress uniforms'. I could give heaps of examples but here is just one; a dicky bow for heavens sake!!!!

http://www.chinookobserver.com/story...3.jpg&MaxW=600

Comment

Bow ties smh
          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Lol, ya bowties don't have a place on a uniform. Sorry, but it looks ridiculous

Comment

What about purple ties?
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I'd rather wear the WSP or NYSP uniform than all the high vis fluro vests over cheap crappy shirts and pants we have to wear.

Comment

Tell that to the CHP Motor guys who wear bow ties...
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

JohnKelly, G'Day to you - we much enjoyed Oz when we were therein 1991.

And I can talk, as I never, ever wore a uniform. I was a plain clothes investigator (or instigator, take your pick) my entire career.

My vote for the absolute worst uniform goes to the Rhode Island State police winter uniform of the 1970's. A brown leather long jacket, with black flaps on the pockets, black Sam brown belt worn over the top, and huge leather gauntlets rather than gloves. The creaked like a saddle on a horse with every step. They must have had to remove the entire outfit to use the loo!
                    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                      What about purple ties?
                      Lol, I like the purple. I think they look sharp

Comment

Sorry, I am a little late to the party. Yep, but this is only coming out now because our members are no longer fearful to speak out.

We HAD a "gentlemens agreement" with Treasury Board that they would keep our 1st Class Constable pay (after 3 years after completion of Field Training, and before writing the promotion after 5 years of service and being deemed eligible for promotion to Corporal, at which point a further 1% (?) for Senior Cst pay-boost applies) at the average of the top 3 of a "universe" of 9 other Canadian Police Services (not the highest, nor lowest, paid and other benefits, but a range of locations, staffing levels, and duties to try to make them similar to ours, which is pretty damned tough!). We were happy with that, even without a Union, or Association, because we were all cheap, fearful, and "different than every other PS", thinking we would automatically get more as the other, union / association PS won raises.

Well, we got royally screwed over on the agreement when the Federal Government went cost-cutting, and our pay fell behind, so guys flee, especially in the Lower Mainland District (Greater Vancouver), either patching-over to the surrounding PS. The patching-over occurs also in other areas of Canada, especially with our younger members who were originally from the East Coast Atlantic Region, PARTICULARLY from Newfoundland / Labrador, even more so if they are married and have kids, that have been posted in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia. The East Coasters often will go to our Academy, successfully graduate, but when they find out that they are going West, they pull the pin as of grad day, go home, show their grad certificate to their local Police Service, and get hired on. Many of the East Coast PS require their applicants to otherwise attend a Regional Academy that the candidates must pay tuition and related costs for, while RCMP Academy Cadets receive a non-salary stipend and are NOT charged tuition or related costs (IF you do not consider having any student loan, residential mortgage, or lower income for married Cadet, as well as living-apart-from-family, costs).

We are also still trying to implement our Supreme Court ruling that RCMP members CAN form an Association (without Union-like strike authority, but binding-arbitration settlement) by setting up the group that will represent them, National Police Foundation (NPF), although the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada (MPPAC) had been the first one to try. Part of the RCMP and Federal Government response to this is to cleave-off our Civilian Members (automotive / IT / radio repair / installation techs, dispatchers, scientists) to re-classify them as Public Service personnel (similar to other Federal Government employees, some of whom, such as Clerk Receptionists / Office Managers, already work for the RCMP) to be covered by the Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC) which has Union powers and protection.

For years (and I was right in there), our members gave SO MANY hours of unpaid "voluntary" overtime and on-call, just trying to get the job done, because that was how it was from the March West of 1874, and being spread thin while being given all kinds of duties (originally such as bird counts, mail delivery, and innoculation shots to locals, then taking on Provincial and Municipal Policing while the Federal Government offered cost-sharing deals to those 2 levels).
                        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12438 users online. 467 members and 11971 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X