300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunleather for those who aren't living in the USA

Ok, couple of questions for those of you from outside of the USA.

Do you carry a handgun off duty? If so, in what kind of holster? Are they imported from the USA, or localy made? What materials? What kind of quality are the holsters?

For those of you in countries where they do not let the police carry off duty, what do your undercover units use as gunleather for times when you need maximum consealment?

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Last edited by Gabber; 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure off-duty carrying is exclusively an American thing in the Western World. It happens sometimes in Canada, but you need to have authorization from your Chief/CO. This is done in the case of specific threats against the officer.

I work in plainclothes and use an American-made Gould and Goderich leather pancake holster.

Comment

Do you carry a handgun off duty?
        Off duty carrying for sworn officers in Germany is generally allowed by the federal weapon law, but is regulated in detail by state laws and/or agency regulations. As far as I know all German agencies allow off duty carrying in one form or the other. Usually these state laws/regulatons impose some regulations like the storage in a certified gun safe, zero BAL while carrying, not visiting public festivals/gatherings/demonstrations while carrying, a liability insurance, etc

In the 70s when the communist terror group RAF was targeting the "supporters of the capitalist system" the agencies generally urged all officers to carry off duty. Today most agencies have a neutral policy towards off duty carrying.
        In practice I would wager that only few officers (apart from those combating organised crime or political extremists) carry off duty most of the time, but a lot of officers carry off duty now and then.

If so, in what kind of holster? Are they imported from the USA, or localy made? What materials? What kind of quality are the holsters?
        Plainclothes officers could use their issued holster or a privately purchased one. Uniformed officers have to use private purchase holsters. Big US companies like Safariland, Bianchi, Galco, or Uncle Mike's offer their product lines here and have indeed a solid market share. But of course there are also local producers, like Höppner & Schumann, AKAH, COP and others, as well as other European companies, e.g. Sickinger of Austria, Radar of Italy, and PWL of England.
        The German market offers holsters of all sorts of materials, styles, price ranges and qualities.

Comment

Prussian very well written responce,

Todd

Comment

It just so happens that a good friend of mine is the European rep for Armor Holdings, including Safariland. He is a top shooter, and speaks 7 languages.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

In Austria, off duty carry is not allowed unless you have a permission according to the Austrian weapon (gun) law. Everybody can request a permission to purchase a gun (unless he has committed a crime), but to carry a weapon you have to request a special permission. You have to provide a special reason for that, for example being a police officer, or even a cab driver, as sometimes you carry big amount of money.
              The duty weapon has to be kept at the police department.

We are not required to carry a weapon off duty (which could only be a private one), but should better just observe and report in case of a crime.

Comment

Do you carry a handgun off duty? If so, in what kind of holster? Are they imported from the USA, or localy made? What materials? What kind of quality are the holsters?
                I occasionally carry my issued HK P 2000 off-duty in a Blade-Tech IWB. Could've gotten a locally made holster but Blade-Tech offered the best solution for me.

Our duty holster is the Safariland SLS-STX. For concealed carry we are also issued a kydex OWB made by Höppner & Schumann in Germany but it prints a lot so I rarely use it.

In my agency most officers use their full duty rig even when working unmarked patrol in civilian clothes anyway.

Comment

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
                  Last edited by Gabber; 10-20-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3629 users online. 250 members and 3379 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X