• Show
Clear All

• Berlin police applicants sue for equal treatment

http://morgenpost.berlin1.de/content...in/810659.html

Translation by yours truly, hope it doesn't turn out too bad

Dispute Over Police Hiring Procedures: First Lawsuits Announced

Native German applicants demand the same opportunities as immmigrants

By Michael Behrendt

The dispute over police hiring procedures could now become a court case. Two applicants that have been turned down are planning to sue for a job with the Berlin Police Department. It is reported that the Police Union accused the state government of unconstitutional actions because applicants with an immigrant background don't have to meet the same standards as ethnic Germans. Immigrants are supposed to fill 10 percent of the approximately 300 available slots.

According to the Police Union the reason for those accusations is the fact that German applicants are required to average a 3,0 grade in their high-school diploma. This does not apply for immigrants if they have completed a 10-week training program offered by the local employment center, says Berlin Police Union chairman Klaus Eisenreich.

But precisely the question how previous trainings and studies of German applicants should be considered during the selection process might now be settled in court. 24 year-old Maren H. was turned down. "I graduated from high-school in 1998 and averaged a 3.1, and I know that I didn't meet the standards then," tells the young woman. "But in the meantime I successfully completed training as a public administration worker with an average grade of 2.0, and that should be taken into consideration, especially if applicants with an immigration background don't have to meet these standards." Maren H. is currently self-employed as an event manager.

Gregor K. doesn't understand it either. The 28 year-old also averaged a 3.1 in high-school and like Maren H. failed to meet the academic criteria. But he, too, obtained additional qualifications. "I went to college, majored in Social Science and received a degree. But the police only considered my high-school diploma." Gregor K. can't understand why his college degree doesn't count even though immigrants can be exempt from the academic criteria by taking a much simpler type of training. "I already hired an attorney. I can understand that the police want to hire immigrants to patrol certain neighbourhoods because police work in those areas might benefit from that. But I want the same chance to take the tests as them."

Police Union chairman Klaus Eisenreich criticizes the city spokesman's statement that exempting immigrants who took the training course from academic requirements was not unconstitutional because further qualifications had also to be taken into consideration just as high-school grades. "That would be fine if it applied to all applicants, ethnic Germans and minorities," Eisenreich says.

Frank Henkel, chairman of the oppositional Christian Democratic Party announces resistance. "We promote the integration of immigrants. But we mustn't deviate from the principle of selecting the trainees according to their individual aptitude and skills."

From the Berlin Morgenpost on February 14th, 2006

In the USA it's been called affermative action.

Sounds nicer than racial discrimination, because that's illegal,
    but that's what it is. I think we're finally moving away from it now.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Officially we never had it here anyway... I guess the suit of these two folks look promising.

Comment

What non-Germans in Bundespolize? Unbelievable as far as I remember auslender couldn't own property only lease for 99 year period, must be that I am mistaken or it's changed since EU, by the way Immigrant's looking for Police Job in country with five millions of unemployed Germans and where majority of employed people works 80% of full time hours .
        Times changed

Comment

What non-Germans in Bundespolize?
          Civil service (including state and federal law enforcement) is open to all EU citizens. Some states also allow non-EU nationals to apply if they have a valid unlimited residence permit and possess skills the force might need (such as speaking certain languages).

Northerner

Comment

If it is Police Officers or doctors, I want THE BEST, not the 'most balanced' force.

This is "reverse discrimination" - but still discrimination.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

As long as there is no double standards and extra points you will get the best : citizens , foreigners ,white ,black doesn't matter

Comment

Originally posted by swarhc
                As long as there is no double standards and extra points you will get the best : citizens , foreigners ,white ,black doesn't matter

Agreed.

But he was talking about precisely double standards. Lower standards.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

I get that but also I know a thing or two about Bundezpolice and Germany, as I remember few years ago they still had a laws from 1936 in place but they have one of most professional police forces I ever saw I like (LOVE) way how they operate "bar fight in progress" they don't rush van after van arriving every second officer on scene is K-9 handler and then they just circle whole neighbored done deal.

Comment

Hi swarhc,
                    [...]as far as I remember auslender couldn't own property only lease for 99 year period, must be that I am mistaken[...]
                    I think you are mistaken, I have never heard aubout such a law.

[...]I know a thing or two about Bundezpolice and Germany [...] way how they operate "bar fight in progress"[...]
                    Then you should know that the Bundespolizei [federal police], as all German federal LEOs, has only a very limited jurisdiction (i.e. policing is a state right).
                    The only bar fights the federal police might deal with are those on the perimeter of national/international railway stations and airports (as these would fall under the Bundespolizei jurisdiction).
                    The article that started this thread deals with the state police of Berlin.

Regards
                    Prussian

Comment

Oh well... as a matter of fact there have been occasions where Bundespolizei/Bundesgrenzschutz officers backed up state police forces on bigger calls, usually around major railway stations

But yes, foreigners are allowed to own property in Germany... and except for a few laws that had already been in force long before the 3rd Reich we've done away with Nazi legislation in the early fifties

Northerner

(Ex-Bundesgrenzschutz, now statie )

Comment

Hi Northerner,

I don't want to split hairs, but I think the key word is "support". The Bundespolizei/Bundesgrenzschutz renders support for the state LEOs, but without primary jurisdiction.

The reason why I stress this is that our US members could have the wrong impression that the Bundespolizei is "the normal police" in Germany. Like as a national police, similar for example with France.
                        But in reality the federal LE agencies have quite limited competences, IMHO rather less than more in comparison to the situation in the US.

The German system (state police is "the police") is somewhere between France (national police is "the police") and the USA (local <city/county> police is "the police"). With "the police" I mean the guys that show up after one dials 911 or 110.

Regards
                        Mark

Comment

As I said I could be mistaken it was long time ago ,
                          as far as laws I meant on medical records "how far they go back"
                          I said nothing bad about Polizei due to my friend from Cobra Unit
                          OK no hard feelings ?

But yes, foreigners are allowed to own property in Germany... and except for a few laws that had already been in force long before the 3rd Reich we've done away with Nazi legislation in the early fifties

Northerner

(Ex-Bundesgrenzschutz, now statie )[/QUOTE]

Comment

[QUOTE=Northerner]Oh well... as a matter of fact there have been occasions where Bundespolizei/Bundesgrenzschutz officers backed up state police forces on bigger calls, usually around major railway stations

" Kids from train station Zoo"

Comment

Originally posted by swarhc
                              [...]I said nothing bad about Polizei due to my friend from Cobra Unit[...]
                              Err, Cobra is a Austrian unit, not a German one. This also puts your mentioning of the Bundespolizei in relation: the Austrian Bundespolizei is indeed the centralized national LE force of Austria (i.e. policing is a matter of the federation, not the states)

Regards
                              Prussian

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2279 users online. 132 members and 2147 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X