300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Cop Quits 'Too Risky' UK Force

I am aware that David Leppard is a Journo but I cannot locate the source of this story.

Can any UK member assist?

Cheers.

[COLOR=Blue]US cop quits 'too risky' UK force
    David Leppard

A TEXAN patrol officer who became the first foreigner to join the British police is to resign after three years because he says policing is too dangerous here compared with America.

Ben Johnson, a 6ft 4in former paratrooper nicknamed Slim, has written to his Chief Constable asking to carry a Glock 17 handgun on his routine beat in Reading.

He said officers are dying unnecessarily because they are less well equipped and trained to protect themselves and the public than their American counterparts.

Wow! I'd love to hear some comments from UK officers.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

babies

Bloody yanks, babies the lot of 'em! Sure they only throw their dummies (pacifiers) away when they can replace it with a Glock!

Comment

Cat among the Pigeons

AGS......ooh harsh but true. The reason we are not taught to deal with weapons is becuse we don't carry...we have armed response for that.Guns are totally alien to our culture and unless someone has previous military experience they wouldn't know one end from the other. However our armed response units I would put up against anyone elses. Extremely well trained, disciplined and motivated.
        The Allfather wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear, profits a man nothing.

Comment

Plum you owe me a new keyboard! I just ruined this one spitting tea over it laughing. Extremely well trained, disciplined and motivated. I

Comment

ST13, Glad I made you chuckle.. our firearms teams in Cambridgeshire are pretty good, so I'll stand by that comment. However routine arming of officers. Yes I would be more than happy to carry a fire arm myself, and like you I spent 12 years in the army and after all those tours I feel confident carrying a weapon, my point is the ordinary guy on the force who has never handled a weapon in his life carrying a weapon! How much training do you think he/she would need before you would be happy to work alongside them whilst they carry fire arms. Think back to the days when you were in the army, how many of your colleagues mad you feel nervous? How many of your colleagues now are quick to deply CS in any situation. I have never even felt the need to draw mine yet, although I am only a year in. I am however in favour of increasing the number of people who routinely carry fire arms and maybe ex-forces personnel would be the best people to look at for this job. Leat importantly of all who is going to pay for it and how many officers would be suspended pending investigations into a firearms incident. Major changes in legislation would need to be made before any routine arming is brought in and we would need to shoot all those lily livered loony left wing human rights a**&h*es before anything happens!
            The Allfather wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear, profits a man nothing.

Comment

I'm just a Yank and an armed LEO/Baby...

Quite frankly it doesn't take a "bravery" for an unarmed officer to walk in the front door of a place that is being robbed, I can think of a few other adjectives more fitting but I do not blame the UK officers in cases such as this. The "whistle past the graveyard" training culture is more to blame for the tactical shortcomings.

Throw digs at this Johnson cop all you want, just because you have had the blessing not to be shot has more to do with luck than it does tactical intelligence or dare I say bravery.
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by AnGardaSiochana
                Bloody yanks, babies the lot of 'em! Sure they only throw their dummies (pacifiers) away when they can replace it with a Glock!
                Babies?

Here this brave American in UK is standing up for you guys, telling the public how dangerous your job is, and you call him a baby. This guy's history gives him a lot of credibility on this topic, and you dismiss him as a blobby yank?

He quit his job to prove a point, a point in support of you, and you call him a baby?

I'm either confused or angry.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

You know, something I noted. Unarmed security officers in America carry about the same equipment, in some states, as a Met PC. They have the luxury of falling back and calling for law enforcement when the situation becomes criminal or untenable, and its not longer an issue of enforcing the client's rules.

What do Constables do when they're in that situation? Call Armed Response?
                  N. A. Corbier
                  Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                  Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

An Ozzies perspective

Hi guys ,just thought I'd add my two cents/pence worth.
                    As a former Australian Police officer and someone thinking of returning to policing in the uk.
                    There are two points I feel I must raise surrounding this issue. Firearms and Operational safety.
                    You may or may not be aware that all Australian officers are armed but to varying standards. Some carry revolvers some 9mm pistols
                    When in service in Australia I undertook firearms training and drills at least twice a week. I must say that this was my own doing as I thought that if carrying a gun I should know every operational aspect of being an armed officer.
                    I was lucky in that My training buddy was a highly experienced officer from the SWAT equivalent.
                    My firm opinion on this matter is that all officers should have the right to be armed if they so wish, but they must be prepared for the responsibility and the extra training and accountability that goes with it. I know of only one officer in my previous force who carried on in the job after shooting a suspect!
                    It is not a light undertaking by any means. Some of the things I would see from careless officers carrying guns concerned to the point where I would not enter the armoury to collect or empty my gun with anyone else around. Figures show that many police are either injured or killed each year relating to "inhouse" firearms incidences.
                    I was involved in several firearms incidences and believe me I could not have predicted any of them happening! They literally came from nowhere. The extra training I put in from my choice ensured that I went home one evening when I otherwise might not have.
                    Having lived in the UK for a few years now I feel that the days of an unarmed UK police force are sadly over!A uk officer is routinely given a ballistic vest to wear but no option of a firearm? Obviously they (Being the powers that be) can see there is a greater risk or this measure wouldnt have been taken. My question is how many more UK officers will have to die before the greater authorities see that their force needs to arm themselves.

One thing which I think the UK forces however need to look at is operational safety. In my opinion operational safety in the UK is non existant.
                    Example I was once pulled over on the A1 by a cambs patrol. The female officer approached my car and to my astonishment opened my passenger door and proceeded to squat down and began landing talking to me. Meanwhile her partner was sat in the drivers seat of the patrol car.
                    Her partner would not have been able to hear any conversation nor would he be able to assess whether any sort of threat to his or her safety was apparent.
                    In oz both officers would get out of the car, one would approach driver on his side whilst staying behind the b pillar and would ensure the driver got out of the vehicle and moved to the back of the car. While this is happening the other officer would be at the rear of the vehicle being stopped lookng for any threat/s that might arise from the vehicle. The other thing is that a vehicle is a nice safety buffer as one of my friends learnt after being shot at during a routine traffic act!
                    This is just one example but working in London every day has given me the opportunity to observe the UK police and I could give countless examples of what I have seen Officers seen which has made me ask this question. Who teaches Ops safety in the UK? I feel the biggest area of concern in the UK is operational safety! I also feel its the biggest issue relating to the sad death of PC Beshnevsky!
                    Questions need to be asked and reforms delivered because trust me the climate is changing in the UK. With the softening of the EU borders the UK is already being swamped with organized gangs from other EU states who are used to the gun culture and see the U K as a soft touch. Recent events have already shown that these types will not hesitate to shoot a police officer if it grants them a short time of continued freedom.
                    Anyway just my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by PC Plum
                      AGS......ooh harsh but true. The reason we are not taught to deal with weapons is becuse we don't carry...we have armed response for that.Guns are totally alien to our culture and unless someone has previous military experience they wouldn't know one end from the other. However our armed response units I would put up against anyone elses. Extremely well trained, disciplined and motivated.
                      bahwhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahh ahahahahahaha Thats funny. Although I will give you the guys the fact that when it really hits the fan you get the lads from Hereford (sp?) and I would stack the 22nd SAS against the best in the US.
                      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Just to clear things up I fully support PC Johnson in his actions. And I think the posts by the other officers were meant to be taken in a humerous manner. Its just that sarcasm, a British trait, doesn't translate well in forums.

Have a good Christmas and stay safe. Whether on or off duty.

Nigel.

Comment

I guess the command staff are having tea and crumpets, and discussing
                          which pub has the best ale. arm yr officers slowly if need be nothing has to be over night, but if you do not take the 1st step...it willnever be done.
                          furthermore if merry old england was made up of 100% of it's original culture.
                          I could say it's a culture thing, and you'd have the expertise to deal with yr own people. the wolrd has changed and the u.k. has more imports causing trouble, let alone it own citizens committing crime.....wake up...!!!!

" if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by PC Plum
                            The reason we are not taught to deal with weapons is becuse we don't carry...we have armed response for that.Guns are totally alien to our culture and unless someone has previous military experience they wouldn't know one end from the other. However our armed response units I would put up against anyone elses. Extremely well trained, disciplined and motivated.

I've heard this argument before but what happens when/if you unexpectedly cross paths with an armed suspect? Do you declare a "time out" and ask the suspect to patiently wait for the armed response vehicles' arrival to make it a fair fight?
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                              I've heard this argument before but what happens when/if you unexpectedly cross paths with an armed suspect? Do you declare a "time out" and ask the suspect to patiently wait for the armed response vehicles' arrival to make it a fair fight?
                              didn't Robin williams do that in a movie???? survivors or something like that???funny stuff
                              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2153 users online. 89 members and 2064 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X