300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussies Like Brits and Kiwis Best

They may be arch enemies on the sports field, but Australians still like Poms and Kiwis more than Yanks and other foreigners, a survey has found.

Americans came third in the Crosby-Textor Mood of the Nation poll but fell short on questions of trust and worldliness.

Indonesians did not fare very well - the close neighbours being ranked second last of the 15 nations respondents were asked about.

The United Kingdom scored highest overall among Australians with a country index rating of 79, just ahead of New Zealand on 78.3 and the United States 63.4.

Saudi Arabia ranked last with 18.1, behind Indonesia on 22.3.

New Zealanders topped four out of the seven categories - the most likeable (90 per cent), shared the same values (88 per cent) and honest and trustworthy (79 per cent).

The UK scored well on most questions with the country considered best at fighting corruption (65 per cent) and in tune with world events (84 per cent).

Australians believed the US was an important trading partner (89 per cent) and thought Americans likeable (76 per cent) but not so honest and trustworthy (49 per cent).

Only 50 per cent thought Americans were in tune with events outside their own country.

"People have mixed views about the United States but this poll shows why it's just not valid to simply describe Australians as either anti-American or pro-American," Crosby-Textor joint managing director Mark Textor said.

"It's a lot more sophisticated than that."

The survey found Australians did not consider Indonesians reliable (seven per cent), trustworthy (11 per cent) or shared their values (seven per cent).

Forty-seven per cent thought them likeable.

China was considered an important trading partner (83 per cent) but only 12 per cent thought they shared the same values as Australians.

The poll was conducted among 501 people aged over 18 from August 26-30.

Positive views about living in Australia dominated the other part of the research, with happiness (87 per cent), opportunity (83 per cent) and pride (83 per cent) the top-ranked emotions.

The highest of negative emotions were frustration (33 per cent) and complacency (32 per cent).

Anger (18 per cent) and shame (14 per cent) were at the bottom of the table.

Yippeeeeeeeeee !........is it cos we are nearly all related
    " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

It does not surprize me. Most Americans know little or nothing about the rest of the world. Most could not find Australia on a map, and think you are all live either on a station (based on "Quigly Down Under"). live in the outback (Crockadile Dundee), or have Kangaroos hopping down the main streets in Sidney and your other major cities. We rarely see any news about foreign countries on our TV or in our newspapers. Did someone say "Isolationist? Self centered?" YUP.

I have had Americans get all upset when Mexico would not let them enter. They could not understand the difference between a country and a state.

"So I have long hair [and am dressed like a doper], they can't tell me I can't cross over (the border)!"
      ME: "Yes sir, they have their own rules in their country!"
      "You mean it's not part of America?"
      ME: "Yes sir, see the big sign that says 'Welcome to the Republic of Mexico"?
      "But, but I'm an American!"
      ME:"So?"
      "But that officer pulled a gun on me when I argued with him?'
      ME: "Your lucky he did not just shoot you!"
      "BUt, BUt........."

Yes, there still are ugly Americans.
      I found the average Ozzy, U.K resident, or N.Zealander far more knowledgeable about the US than the average American.
      Last edited by Sleuth; 09-21-2005, 05:02 PM.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

It would be interesting to see who the Brits like and dislike most.

I think a big surprise favourite would be the Irish. While the rest of the world think our two countries have a problem with each other, the residents of each get on great together. Maybe because our love of a bevvy.

Mind you, the Germans like a beer aswell but a lot Brits haven't come to terms with the fact that we're not still at war. So they'll be somewhere further down the list.

No offence Americans, you're certainly not unpopular in Britain but still not particularly well thought of. A bit like those people with 'learning difficulties', you can't really dislike them
        Only joking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
          It does not surprize me. Most Americans know little or nothing about the rest of the world. Most could not find Australia on a map, and think you are all live either on a station (based on "Quigly Down Under"). live in the outback (Crockadile Dundee), or have Kangaroos hopping down the main streets....
          You mean like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbycop
            It would be interesting to see who the Brits like and dislike most. I think a big surprise favourite would be the Irish.
            I used to work in the EU in Brussels and I found that after hours Brits would invariably hang around with the Irish, Scandinavians, Netherlanders and Eastern Europeans. Part of that is the fact that all of the above use English as a common language. Part of it is the drinking - bit of a simplification but we all seem to like a drop.
            I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

cultures

Interesting poll, but I can't remember the last time I was actually approached by anyone. Therefore polls like these are subjective at the best of times.

The United States of America is a very large country, with different cultures, problems, wealth, standard of living and a fragmented form of government. The UK is simliar etc...etc...etc.

I've met some great yanks, poms, kiwis, swedes and then again I've met some real problem children too! This goes for my own country. Put simply all people have their own levels of racism, ignorance and acceptance.

It also depends where one resides, your education level, your income, your religious belief and your political stance - this may determine how "worldy" you are and how accepting or otherwise you are to other people and cultures.

But cultural ignorance does extend to England. I remember arresting a "pom" about 92 for using offensive language in a rather busy city street In SYDNEY (Take note Sleuth - Sidney is a name of a person, not the City of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia). Anyway, his language was vulgar. He responded by slagging me off and resisting arrest. He rambled on about me being a decendant of "convicts" and I had no rights to arrest someone from the "mother country". As an aside, I dutifly reminded him that not all Australians' had connections with "convicts" in fact I come from a background of quite the opposite. That coupled with a nice little wrist lock (for the resist) served to reinforce my point and to remind him of his ignorance.

At a later date, following the hearing for the above matter I had the pleasure to inform him now that he had entered the delightful Australian Criminal Justice System and he could now clasify himself as a "convict".

Seriously, I probably have my own form of misconceptions about other parts of the world too, but hey I'm always willing to learn new things and experience new cultures.

Australia is very multi-cultural place, which sometimes leads to some positive and some negative values. But one thing I do know for sure most tourists (not all mind you) don't mind a drink and can't wait for beer o'clock to come around!

Comment

Nemesis, I know that, I've been there, I just can't spell!
                "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Like my NSW friend, Ive never been polled in my life...............until last week when I received a call requesting I answer a few questions about Law and order!!.

When asked If any member of the house was involved in law enforcement I was disqualified for possible bias.

Comment

Just out of curiosity where did South Africans come?
                    If you run, you'll only go to jail tired

Comment

I am abit surprised I thought you Aussies liked us kiwis the best. or is it only when we let you and the poms win the odd game of rugby?

Comment

Originally posted by Rattel
                        Just out of curiosity where did South Africans come?
                        No mention of the South Africans, but I guess that will change.

Originally posted by kiwiplod
                        I am abit surprised I thought you Aussies liked us kiwis the best. or is it only when we let you and the poms win the odd game of rugby?
                        I think that it's a bit of a love hate relationship between Oz and the Kiwis, we can't really say too much, because eventually you will become an Australian State and then you will be our brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKelly
                          No mention of the South Africans, but I guess that will change.

I think that it's a bit of a love hate relationship between Oz and the Kiwis, we can't really say too much, because eventually you will become an Australian State and then you will be our brothers.
                          I though NZ was an Australian state?????

Comment

its the other way round DaveNT
                            allblacks.com

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyman
                              its the other way round DaveNT
                              Mate half the time Australians forget the N.T. is up here and attached to the rest of the country.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6017 users online. 309 members and 5708 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X