Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Shot by Police on the London Tube.

Just had a report that police have shot a man on the tube in London:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...189920,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm

Thanks for the news update Sgt Lobster.

There is an old saying that the British Army taught all others how to march and it looks like the British Police are teaching us how to deal with terrorism.

We in Australia are following the events in London with a deep and concerned interest and even though we love to beat the Old Pom at every sport known to mankind, it goes without saying that Australia's heritage comes mainly from Britain and Ireland and it is for that reason, when Britain hurts we hurt.

CCTV is proving its worth as a tool in combating these incidents.

Without getting into OPSEC matters, who controls the installation and monitoring of this equipment. Can anyone throw up a CCTV or is it Government controlled?

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKelly
      Thanks for the news update Sgt Lobster.

Can anyone throw up a CCTV or is it Government controlled?

Best wishes.
      John,

Basically anybody can install a CCTV system. However most large towns and cities have systems monitored by the local council and they are also common place at airports, railway stations, carparks, shops etc.

Lobster.

Comment

The latest reports here are that the person shot was not involved in the bombings - so why did he run?

If there is a way to get a message to the officer involved, tell him/her that we are behind them! A suspect, dressed in winter type clothing, who runs from the police into a tube train? What are you supposed to think? What are you supposed to do? Wait until they set off the bomb and kill more people?

I know Mexico did have "La Ley de Fue' " (most likely misspelled), the law of the fugative. If you ran from the police, they shot you for running.
        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Hi sleuth,
          It looks as though the guy who ran from the police was from Brasil. He came to the U.K on a student visa which had ran out but he decided to stay. It seems from reports that he ran from police as he was scared he would get sent back. If that was me and I had been told to freeze by armed police during a terrorist alert, I would be more scared of being shot then deported.
          But suprise suprise his family are planning to sue the police!

Comment

Too bad, I still say the officer was right to shoot! (Based on the limited information in our press.)

Tee shirt, sometimes seen in the US, worn by Army snipers:

"Don't bother to run, you'll only die tired!"
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
              Too bad, I still say the officer was right to shoot! (Based on the limited information in our press.)

Tee shirt, sometimes seen in the US, worn by Army snipers:

"Don't bother to run, you'll only die tired!"
              how'd he know they were police considering they were in plain clothes???
              Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I worked in plain clothes for 27 years, yet when it was time, no one ever wondered if I was the Police. Visable badge, loud verbal commands, and if needed a view of the front of my gun.

Nope, barring the recipt of more information, that one does not fly with me.
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth

Nope, barring the recipt of more information, that one does not fly with me.
                  Doubtful that will be forthcoming. Sounds a like Diallo type shooting to me, cops on edge ready to shoot, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If it happened in the USA it would be feces storm for sure.
                  BTW Sleuth did you ever shoot a completely unarmed suspect?
                  Last edited by 6233108; 07-25-2005, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Still Bad.

Regardless of what is happening in London at the present time, what happened to this Brazilian still leaves a sick feeling in my stomach. I feel for the cops, but the family have the right to restitution for what happened.

Comment

If he had been in possesion of a Bomb and the bomb had been detonated because the Police Officers had not fired upon him, I am certain your Opinion would be different.

Comment

Originally posted by dc francis
                        If he had been in possesion of a Bomb and the bomb had been detonated because the Police Officers had not fired upon him, I am certain your Opinion would be different.
                        Damned if you do damned if you don't

Comment

623 (mind if I call you by your first numbers?), I never had to shoot anyone in the line of duty. I did kill someone who tried to kill me, but that is another story.
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

It's easy to stand on the sidelines a say what you should or shouldn't have done but put yourself in the cops position. A man runs onto the subway ignoring repeated verbal commands to stop. Your the cop with a split second to make a desision....

Not easy is it. It really annoys me when I hear people having a go at a police officers actions in a situation like that without having been in that situation themselves. How on earth was the officer suppose to know if the suspect was armed or had a bomb on him or not?

Thankfully I have never been in that position and I pray to god that a never am.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy999
                              Hi sleuth,
                              It looks as though the guy who ran from the police was from Brasil. He came to the U.K on a student visa which had ran out but he decided to stay. It seems from reports that he ran from police as he was scared he would get sent back. If that was me and I had been told to freeze by armed police during a terrorist alert, I would be more scared of being shot then deported.

In my opinion, I don't think he ever expected they'd start shooting at him. British police aren't known to draw guns and start shooting people they're pursuing.
                              "Justice will exist when both parties admit their faults..."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5171 users online. 297 members and 4874 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X