300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Irish cops out there?

Hey there just wondering if there were any Irish cops use these boards? As I never seem to see any replys from our Irish collegues. If there are what is the job like out there compared to us in the U.K or the U.S?

Irish Cops

Ah sure Tommy there are only two kinds of people in this world, those who are Irish and those who would like to be.

Anyhow, I take it by Irish Cops, you mean members of An Garda Siochana. There are a few Garda members here and as I recall the newest member is stationed in County Galway. I thought that they would be up for a bit more of the craic, but they haven't posted much at all.

Of course there is another form of Irish Cop and that is those who are Irish or of Irish descent and are Police Officers in the country that they now live and although they are proud citizens of those 'new' countries, they are still regarded as an Irish Cop.

This is particularly so in the US, where in many cases the Irish were the founding fathers of many US Police Forces and the descendants of those immigrants still regard themselves as Irish Cops.

Police Emerald Societies exist throughout the US and their charter is to promote a friendship and fraternalism for those who wish to maintain their Irish heritage.

Just for info, here is a list of Law Enforcement Emerald Societies throughout the US.

Law Enforcement Emerald Societies

Also here are some Links to other Officer.com topics relating to Irish Officers.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=irish

So there you go, the Irish are every where.

Cheers.
    IrishCop
    Australia

Comment

I'm the type of Irish Cop (sorry, now retired cop ) born in a country outside of the Emerald Isle but always regarded as Irish. Born and Bred in Sheffield in the county of Yorkshire and proud of it. Of Irish parentage, met and married my wife in Ireland and on any official forms asking questions of ethnic origin I always tick the Irish box.

Off to Mayo for a five week stay at the end of the month to immerse my self in Guinness and Bushmills and return a lot heavier but happier

Comment

Cheer for that guys, yeah I have been a bit disappointed by the response to this thread, I thought with the amount of "Irishcops", especially in the east of the U.S, out there I would have had a better response and would have got a bit of banter.

I regard myself as half Irish as my Great Grandparents on both my parents sides were Irish. I have a a London Irish rugby club pin on my uniform tie as I think it's quite fitting as its half a shamrock half St Georges Cross.

I'm off to Ireland, Dublin in fact at xmas. It will be my first trip to the land my family came from. I already have my Guiness museum tickets booked!

Thanks John for those Emerald links I'll be sure to look them up. And hopefully more Irishcops will see this thread and leave there thoughts and experiences.

Thanks for the replies guys stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy999
          ....I have a a London Irish rugby club pin on my uniform tie as I think it's quite fitting as its half a shamrock half St Georges Cross.

I'm off to Ireland, Dublin in fact at xmas. It will be my first trip to the land my family came from. I already have my Guiness museum tickets booked!
          I'm sure you'll have a grand time. If you get a chance to do some sightseeing, I recommend you take the time to drive around the Ring of Kerry and then north up the west coast as far as Donegal.

Have you been following the Lions Tour of New Zealand. I'm afraid the All Blacks sorted you out.

I am a Wallaby supporter, but when Australia plays Ireland, then I'm in trouble.

Lions Tour

Cheers.

Comment

Yeah they did sort us out. That world cup victory is becoming a distant memory!!!!!!

I blame Wilko's injury (Or at least thats my excuse)

Comment

A bit of history about how the Irish came to dominate the police and fire departments on our East Coast.
              During the major immigration, a result of the potato famine, the Irish could not get hired for any kind of job. A common sign on restaurants and bars in New York was "No dogs or Irish allowed!" So, they organized, and became a political force. At the time, the police and fire departments were 'patronage jobs', meaning no skills testing, the entire department would turn over if the party in power changed.
              They voted in ethnic blocks, got other Irish elected, and got the jobs in the police and fire departments. They started many tradtions which carry on to this day. As civil service came in, many Irish were senior officers on the departments, and naturally tended to hire the sons (and now daughters) of their friends (if they qualified on the testing).

Now, that is a very short tale of how the Irish took over these departments. In fact, when I got hired by a Federal agency in Boston in 1970, I was the only non-Irishman in the office!
              "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
              John Stuart Mill

Comment

The Irish in America

Thanks for the info Sleuth.

Here is also an interesting reply that I also received via an email list group.

JohnKelly wrote:

"In days gone by, many of the major police forces in the US were predominately made up of the Irish and even today many of the current members are of Irish descent and proud of their heritage. This is evident by the number of Emerald Societies that currently exist in the US.

There is in fact a Website dedicated to the Irish Police Officers and Irish Fire Fighters who perished at the WTC.

Why do you think that US Police Forces and Fire Brigades had so many Irish as Police Officers and Fire Fighters?"

********** replied:

"In the 1800's, when the Irish immigrated heavily to the US, they were discriminated against for jobs. Discrimination in history is not limited to the current "minority" groups as they would like the world to believe.

Back to the jobs thing. At the time being a poice officer or firefighter was not considered to be glamorous or heroic as it is today. So, the Irish took the jobs as they were the only available to them and the had families to feed. You know the Catholics and birth control!! Sorry for the lapse there, but the families are strong in tradition and the sons followed the fathers in the line of work. This tradition is not limited to the cops and firefighters, but in industry also, many generations worked for the same employer.

The Irish still continue to follow their ancesters into the police and fire jobs, but in a glorious and heroic way today.

Comment

hey 50% irish here and proud of it!
                  Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

I am a mutt, but there is Irish (as well as Italian, English, and Japanese) in there. For such a small country, the Irish really get around!
                    No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Thanks to Sleuth and John for that information, thats what I hoped for when I posted this thread. I made a trip to New York last year and made a trip to the Ellis Island museum and ran my family name through the computer and found out that four generations of a family called Hart arrived at New York from Ireland in the 1910's. Would be interesting to find out if we were relatated and if they were serving cops in the U.S. On a historical note I was watching a programme on the Discovery channel wich said that at one point there were more Irish in the U.S than the whole of Ireland.

Comment

Hello Tommy,

I don't visit the site as much as I used to (wife had another baby !!!), but I never was a prolific poster anyway !!!

Anyway, I was born and raised in Ireland. I was a member of An Garda Siochana for 1991 to 1994. In '94 I left to emigrate to the USA. So in a sense, I still consider myself an "Irish Cop." I've never really lost interest in the whole police thing, although the only police work I've done in the US is in the US Army Military Police.

I've toyed around with the idea of becoming a part-time officer for one of the local towns, but it can be difficult to get such a job around here as most of the part-timers are paid, as opposed to the unpaid volunteer "Specials" in the UK.

Lots of "off-the-boat" Irish guys working on the Chicago Police Dept (where I live) and I know quite a few who are on NYPD. Of course, there's literally thousands of officers who have Irish immigrant parent(s) or grandparent(s).
                        Christ, you know it ain't easy...

Comment

Pour another round, Paddy!! Parents are from Ireland. My brother retired after 25 with a State Police agency, and I've done 28 with a county police force in the DC area...the Irish-Americans are abundant on the US Police forces!!! I bet all of you reading this have a little Irish in you..I know I done my best to place a little Irish into every lass I've known..Slainte.
                          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Hi Tommy, I am a serving member of the Garda Siochana. I would be pleased to answer any querys you might have. I would imagine my job here in rural Ireland is a lot less demanding than yours! Long may that continue!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy999
                              ...I'm off to Ireland, Dublin in fact at xmas. It will be my first trip to the land my family came from. I already have my Guiness museum tickets booked!...
                              Indeed mate, I enjoyed the Guinness Tour and especially the free Pints at the end of it. Many people on the tour didn't drink, so they gave me their 'Free Drink Tickets'

Another great tour was that of Bushmills Distillery which is located in County Antrim.

Garda 23811B - Good to hear from you. I heard a whisper that you are being issued with a new operational uniform and my understanding is that some of the members are not too happy with it? I had a look at some photos of it on the Garda Website.

It looks quite conservative. It's a shame that the designers didn't do some creative thinking and come up with something a bit more flash, rather than a copy-cat of Plod.

Cheers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5677 users online. 326 members and 5351 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X