300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US view of the bobby??

While perusing another site i came across this link,its to an american chap spending a day with the Thick and stupid group or as they are more formally known Terroritorial support group.An excellent bunch of ladies and gents who work supporting the boroughs of the Met proactively patrolling.

Enjoy

http://www.defendu.com/london_cops.htm

Oh and John Kelly thank you so much for your comments on my terrorist attack post.Nice to see a balanced point of view.
    "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

An interesting view, but I don't think it's widely shared by most Americans, let alone most American cops.
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

Whats the American cops view then Sleuth?

Comment

I have a ton of respect for them and I believe I "speak" for a lot of US cops in this regard.

I'm no expert but they seem very competent and professional. This has been particularly evident after the recent terrorist attacks.
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

So what are the American and British view of South African Cops just by the way?

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Bryanm
            So what are the American and British view of South African Cops just by the way?

Bryan
            Hey how about asking us Aussie cops what we think of you SA cops? (Especially after that lucky win last Saturday..)
            Homer: When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie Spaceballs. But instead it was dark and disturbing... Like that movie -- Police Academy.

Comment

I wouldnt have swapped places, thats for sure!

Comment

I don't know of any officers that don't have anything but respect for UK and Aussie cops (sorry, don't know much about SA). I certainly hope in the future they will be given the tools they need to do the job safely.

Comment

LOL So what do the Aussie cops think of us SAFFA's after the rugby. I tell you what if it wasnt for Bryan Habana (an prison services officer ironic) then we wouldnt have made though !!!!!
                  I really enjoyed the game I must confess.

I am actually really interested to find out what your guys impression of us SA Cops is. Although the rest of the country came out of isolation a decade or two ago we in the SAP still seem to be in it. Not politically just cut off from our you guys our colleagues

Of course since more and more SA cops are resigning and working in Iraq maybe that will change
                  Cheers
                  Bryan

Comment

Bryan
                    Just sent you a PM. Since I have traced both sides of my family to SA, I'd say you are all fine people!

Comment

Thanks Bro
                      one right back at ya
                      Yup us Saffa's are good people
                      and to all the Aussies we WON
                      B

Comment

My view (I have been to the UK), is that most Americans see the police in the UK as very nice people, always ready to help a tourist. But they don't see you as equipped to interceed in the types of crimes common in the US. When there may be a burglar in the house, they would rather see US cops with guns than an unarmed UK police officer.

Personally, I have the greatest respect for you, and understand (at least somewhat) the cultural differences that allow/require you to police in the fashion you do. It is well explained in the book "The Mountie, the Samuri, and the Cowboy". While an exploration of the gun laws in the various countries, it goes in depth into the cultural variations as well. For example, in our highly mobile society, people are more prone to run than what I see in the UK. There, even the Bad Guys tend to stay in their home neighborhoods when the 'heat is on'.

As for the SA Police, the picture presented here is that you are under funded, under manned, and face serious threats of death every shift, with every stop. There have been articles about your lack of patrol cars, lack of training, even a lack of licensed drivers for the cars you have. There is an implication that politics have played a strong part in who is on your forces. Yet you still go out, day after day, doing what you can for your people. BRAVO.

These are my opinions, worth exactly what you paid to read them....NOTHING!
                        "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

Thanks Bro
                          one right back at ya
                          Yup us Saffa's are good people
                          and to all the Aussies we WON
                          B

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/gregan,.../section/21893

Never mind, we will meet again.

Go The Wallabies.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                            My view (I have been to the UK), is that most Americans see the police in the UK as very nice people, always ready to help a tourist. But they don't see you as equipped to interceed in the types of crimes common in the US. When there may be a burglar in the house, they would rather see US cops with guns than an unarmed UK police officer.
                            Sleuth

Though your post is, as ever, very courteous, I think what you're trying to say is that the average US citizen, insofar as he or she gives the matter any thought, regards the British bobby as rather quaint and ineffectual. That's fair enough since that's how a great deal of TV portrays us.

I'm certainly aware from having travelled around New York in uniform when attending the 9/11 Memorial Service with several hundred other UK officers that the majority think our dress uniform (the heavy dark blue tunic with the silver buttons down the front) is our day to day uniform. I also find US officers much more polite than their UK equivalents, but that is probably because I'm a foreigner. I also get the impression that most Americans, whilst having heard of football hooliganism over here, think of it as an aberration in what is otherwise a very peaceful place. Sad to say, we also have crack houses, organised crime and street gangs too and British policing has had to evolve to deal with them.
                            Last edited by Cockney Corner.; 07-27-2005, 02:00 AM.
                            I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

CC, keep in mind that we tend to be very 'self centered'. The TV news rarely carries stories about foreign affairs unless Americans are involved. The average American has never been anyplace but Canada and/or Mexico (I have managed to visit 14 countries so far), and so their view is very much shaped by the media. Since your policing methods are so different to what we see every night (high speed chases, shootouts), it colors the general view.

I live in a small resort town in the mountains, and I would say that, other than service in the armed forces, none of our local friends have been to another country as a tourist. So, in reality, the average American does not think much at all, good or bad, about foreign police services. (Other than the Mexican Police being corrupt, which is generally true.)

And I would not say you are considered ineffectual, just not the folks to react with force when people are threatened. Again, this is perception, I know it is not reality.
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5735 users online. 314 members and 5421 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X