300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Shot in Lancashire.

Just got back from my travels and find an officer from my force has been shot and wounded.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/4651069.stm

Lobster.

I hope the officer has a complete recovery.

Can you find out if the bullet (caliber?) went through his stab vest?
    "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
    John Stuart Mill

Comment

I wonder if Police in other countries would have had an 18 hour stand-off in a situation like this.
      Or are we just completely unprepared and inexperienced in these incidents?

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbycop
        I wonder if Police in other countries would have had an 18 hour stand-off in a situation like this.
        Or are we just completely unprepared and inexperienced in these incidents?
        To answer that from a firearms point of view BC. Im sure there are plenty of foreign police forces that would have used the same tactics as were employed here. It is in no way a case of being unprepared or inexperienced.

You have an armed subject contained in a building with no other persons present , therefore there is no risk to others. The safest and most sensible approach is then to try and wear the subject down and try to talk them out. Why risk other officers lives by carrying out an entry on the building and forcing the subjects hand? Yes its expensive , but how much is a life worth?

Where it falls down of course and has done a few times in recent years. Is when you have wounded MOP's in a building and an unknown status on the subject. But those failings are being addressed. In this case though I can say the stand off was tactically sound.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Pc Lomas.
        I don't make the law , I just enforce it

Comment

Yes. let's hope he gets well soon.

Comment

This is, indeed, the way the situation would have been handled in the US in most cases. We just had a ""standoff"" in my small town, with a subject threatening suicide. He was known to be home alone, yet the Sheriff's Office (and later, the state Department of Public Safety), had a SWAT team on him for about 30 hours. They tried negotiating, and got him to put one of his guns (later found to be his only gun) on the porch.
            DPS went to shoot him in the butt with a 37mm beanbag round, but he turned and got the round in the groin. He decided to surrender after that! (Who wouldn't?)
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
              I hope the officer has a complete recovery.

Can you find out if the bullet (caliber?) went through his stab vest?
              we get issued with bullet/stab proof vest, which in this case thankfully stopped the round. The round bounced off his vest and hit him in the face. Not sure of the calibre only know it was a shot gun. Speedy recovery!

Comment

Thanks. If you happen to find out, was it a slug (ball or solid projectile) or shot round?

Hope he recovers soon and completly.
                John Stuart Mill

Comment

Please find attached a link to our website:

http://www.lancashire.police.uk/news.php#5gJuly

Lobster.

Comment

Thanks Sgt. From the articles, it looks like it was a shot round.
                    John Stuart Mill

Comment

This is, indeed, the way the situation would have been handled in the US in most cases. We just had a ""standoff"" in my small town, with a subject threatening suicide. He was known to be home alone, yet the Sheriff's Office (and later, the state Department of Public Safety), had a SWAT team on him for about 30 hours. They tried negotiating, and got him to put one of his guns (later found to be his only gun) on the porch.
                      DPS went to shoot him in the butt with a 37mm beanbag round, but he turned and got the round in the groin. He decided to surrender after that! (Who wouldn't?)
                      Not in Cleveland, after about 12 hours entry is made and bullets fly.
                      Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

6233 (do you mind if I call you by your first numbers?), I nevr said I agreed with it, just that those in charge decided to handle it that way.
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

6233 (do you mind if I call you by your first numbers?), I nevr said I agreed with it, just that those in charge decided to handle it that way.

10-4 with you on that.
                          Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5517 users online. 310 members and 5207 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X