X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too old

Is my age (44)
    Health (non-insulin dependant diabetic)
    and present financial status taken into account If I should forward an application to join the Police Force in UK?

Sorry to answer a question with a question, mirrorbox but why would a person living in the US and I assume is a US Citizen want to join a UK Police Force?

I think that before you address your age, health and financial situation you need to check your citizenship and Visa status in relation to entering the UK for the purposes of seeking employment.

Comment

Milton Keynes is actually a town in Buckinghamshire, England, so the old coffin dodger shouldn't have any visa issues.

All UK Police forces would accept an application from a person of your mature years but to be successful would depend on your past experience and education. You should show that you are fully competent at expressing yourself in verbal and written form.

In fact it is not that rare to find people in their forties entering the Police service as change of career.

I would personally be worried that you'd miss important radio transmissions because you've nodded off in the car or something.

Comment

Milton Keynes

Originally posted by Bobbycop
        ...Milton Keynes is actually a town in Buckinghamshire, England...
        - Ooops, and here's me thinking that it was in Florida. So, London is in Canada, right?

Comment

As someone who's position in the U.S. puts me on the hiring panel for our Sheriff's Office, I'd much rather hire a person with a level of maturity based on life experiances, than a person fresh out of school with no life experiance. If this is what you want to do, I urge you to try.
          Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKelly
            - Ooops, and here's me thinking that it was in Florida. So, London is in Canada, right?
            Yes, and whos on first?
            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
            between you
            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I would personally be worried that you'd miss important radio transmissions because you've nodded off in the car or something.
              Watch it sonny boy.

Kelly

between you

Comment

Bobbycop, the last officer we terminated for sleeping on-duty was 28! Before that, the last Officer terminated was only 26! I've yet to see an Officer over 40 do something stupid and get fired. In the U.S., older workers seem to have a greater work ethic. They seem to realize that they are there to do a job, not that they are entitled to a job. That's not saying that there aren't many terrific young officers, it's just an observation concerning attitude.

Comment

mirrorbox

I trained with 2 officers of your age, so go for it. Can't say about diabetes but there are certainly serving insulin dependent officers, though I can't say whether the diabetes developed after being taken on. The main draw back is that most forces in Southern England have a hiring freeze on at present or are drawing only from previous applicants. Which force/s were you thinking of applying for?
                  I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by keith758
                    Bobbycop, the last officer we terminated for sleeping on-duty was 28! Before that, the last Officer terminated was only 26! I've yet to see an Officer over 40 do something stupid and get fired. In the U.S., older workers seem to have a greater work ethic. They seem to realize that they are there to do a job, not that they are entitled to a job. That's not saying that there aren't many terrific young officers, it's just an observation concerning attitude.
                    I was just having a joke with the old timer.Actually I think 42 is the prime of life.

Comment

I was just having a joke with the old timer.Actually I think 42 is the prime of life.
                      Beats the hell out of 58 3/4 years old.

Good on you Bobycop.
                      Kelly

between you

Comment

It's got 50 beat all to hell too! We had a new Officer start at age 60 when I worked for the prison system. We used to tell everyone that the reason he got the job was because he was the Warden's father, even though he wasn't. He had to pass the same physical qualifications as the other recruits, and did a good job.

Comment

NOt an American

Originally posted by mirrorbox
                          Is my age (44)
                          Health (non-insulin dependant diabetic)
                          and present financial status taken into account If I should forward an application to join the Police Force in UK?

Not an American

Comment

Weather

Not an American
                            What's the weather like out there in Australia JohnKelly?
                            And what in the max age accepted for application to be an Officer?

Comment

What's the weather like out there in Australia JohnKelly?
                              And what in the max age accepted for application to be an Officer?
                              In my part of Australia, which is the southern end, it is now winter, which means sunny days but cold nights. The temp last night was 5%C. We would like a bit more rain, not just drizzle but good soaking stuff.

We do not have a maximum age limit - if you can pass the medical and fitness test then age is no barrier. We have had 50 year olds going through the Police Academy but let me tell you, they were very fit 50 year olds.

Best wishes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5638 users online. 353 members and 5285 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X