Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officers from outside the US, UK, N.Z. & Aust.?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from New York State, where we drive the Glock 17 and carry the Ford Crown Victoria........errr..... i mean.....
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

A very informative and enjoyable thread, good one.

Leka I am very interested in Russia, please post more. I am trying to get the wife to go there for our next big holiday but without much luck, so it looks like England for the 2012 Olympics. Maybe we can stop off on our way.

I believe Tassie is the last state in Australia to have breast plate style badges as opposed to a patch but I could be wrong ??

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
        While I enjoy interacting with officers from the former Empire, do we have many officers from other countries?

I seem to recall someone from Germany, another from Austria, and Tulleran from Norway, but who else in on here?

And the usual questions:
        Are you armed, and what with?
        What kind of cars do you drive?
        What does your badge look like?

Thanks.
        Do I qualify, or not, to post here?

Armed? Yes, much to many people's (especially my partners') fear! S&W 5946. Apparently it works, at least the once a year I have to shoot for qualification.

Vehicle driven? Yes, I do (read above fear - still applies!) - mainly the Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor, fully lit and marked.

Badge? It is a gold plated shield with a silver crest in the centre, and our Regimental number is engraved near the bottom on the face. There are blue enamel filled banners above either side of the crest that say "RCMP" and "GRC", and another banner below the crest that says "POLICE", in gold. Our crest has the Elizabethan crown on top, over a banner below that says "Canada", over an oval frame bearing the motto, "Maintiens le Droit", which frames a bison head. The frame is surrounded by 12 maple leaves and below that is a folded ribbon, bearing our Force's name, "Royal Canadian Mounted Police".

Our crest is normally coloured - the crown is gold and red, with coloured jewels, the banner, oval frame and ribbon are blue with gold lettering and edging, the bison is brown, and the leaves are green with gold tinging.

"Maintiens le Droit" means, "Uphold the Right" or "Uphold the Law", and reflects that Canada is officially a bi-lingual country. The bison head represents the First Nations peoples and Prairies, who were the first residents of the-then North West Territories, the area where we began and the people we first worked with. The leaves represent the 10 Provinces and formerly-2 Territories - we still have to work on that, after the creation of Nunavut Territory!
        Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

TasDave, how large is Tasmania in land mass and population? And how large is your force. We did not get there on our trip down under, but we enjoyed those parts of the country we did get to visit.
          How closely do the residents identify with Australia? Do they see themselves as Australians who live in Tasmania, or Tasmanians who belong to Australia?

Thanks
          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Hi Slueth, our force is 1100 sworn in a population of about half a million, I am currently at a one man rural posting.

We get left off a lot of the maps of Australia, but we are an individual state (We are at the Southern end). We identify as Australians. we have four seasons a year (European like climate) and have a clean green image.

The island is approximately 500km across, pretty small compared to mainland Australia. Next stop after Tassie is Antarctica. We have the second deepest port in the Southern hemisphere. It is a fairly relaxed lifestyle, fishing, beaches and sports etc.. (For me anyway )

Our claims to fame include Errol FLYNN being born here and unfortunatley the "Port Arthur Massacre" occurring here . The current Australian cricket captain is also Tasmanian. Legend. And of course the Tasmanian devil on the warner bros cartoons.

There is good natured rivalry with the mainland. I believe a bit like you guys and the Canadians or the Scots and English (I thought they were the same thing until I said it to a scotsman OMG) That's why this is a good place to learn.

Taurus 577 are you serious about your vehicles. I need to join NSWPOL

Comment

And the usual questions:

-------

Third post from South Africa :

Firearms : As previously stated, most Officers nationwide are issued with the Vektor Z-88 (Zed-Eighty-Eight) Beretta 92F copy (not as nice as the Itailain Beretta however), and Vektor R5 select-fire .223/5.56mm rifle (based on the mid-sized Galil, only better quality). There are some Stars, Walthers and UZI's still floating about, and some CZ-75's - though these are rarely if ever seen these days. UZI's can be found being carried by our National Intervention Unit however. Patrol Officers in limited numbers are now issued the Italian Beretta 92F, and rumour has it National HQ Logistics has 32,000 GLOCK 19/17's - but has failed to issue these to date pas t a few slect Officers at National HQ (rumour again has it that National HQ is affraid of ND's in the field). We have a lack of firearms being issued to Patrol Officers, from handguns to rifles, still National sits on the GLOCKs.

Special Task Force and our Counter Assault Teams use the HK MP-5 with SureFire and EOTech, and HK USP-9 with UTL.

I personally use my personal .223.5.56mm SIG 552-SP rifle with EOTech 552 and SureFire, and HK USP-9 with UTL on-duty. Sometimes I carry my SIG Sauer P-226.

We are also mandated to carry only FMJ ammunition on-duty, some of us carry JHP's for those of us who take Officer safety/liability/public safety seriously.

Vehicles : Everything from crap Golf Rabbits (Citi Golf here), Ford Ranger pick-up trucks (sllloooooowwww), Toyota Condors, Toyota Corolla's, to well performing Golf GTI's (4/5-door) to BMW 3-series vehicles for regional Flying Squads and Highway Patrol units.

Badges : These are crappy plastic badges and very hard to get (they're generic, no badge numbers) and we have iron on jobs which really don't inspire very much. I will post a picture here when I can.

Comment

No Swede seems to have answered here, so here we go.

Yes, we're armed. We have various models of Sig Sauer. I've got the P226 9 mm. We also have the Heckler & Koch MP5 9 mm when needed.

We drive mostly Volvo (V70 or XC70) and Saab (9-5) as patrol cars. We also have a lot of VW vans. The SWAT teams seem to prefer Ford Tristar. Some other makes are in use as well.

The badge depicts the Swedish national police insigna and is made of metal. It is carried in a leather case also containing the province's name, the officers badge number and his identification card.

/Henrik

Comment

Welcome! Do you have any tricks for working in extreme cold weather?
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Welcome! Do you have any tricks for working in extreme cold weather?
                    Thanks!

Any tricks? Well, obviously you'd want to dress wisely.

Protect your head and ears! Otherwise, much of body heat gets lost that way.

Dress in multiple thin layers. This allows you to regulate temperature more easily. It's also more effective in keeping you warm.

Eat and drink a lot! This will give your body energy to keep warm.

Where I work now it's not always extremely cold. However. it's always windy. The trick then is to keep as little skin as possible unexposed. Cover your neck and your wrists properly.

Finally, don't drink alcohol to "get warm"! It would open wide your veins, making you lose body heat. It just might influence your abiliity to perform your duties as well...

Comment

BTW, when I asked about badges, I mean the device, usually metal or cloth, worn on the outside of your uniform. I know Germany uses a cloth badge that hooks over a button (I have a Zoll [Customs] badge in my collection). How about the rest of you?
                      Oh, now I read this part! The badge I was talking about is more of a wallet style. What I wear on my uniform is another story. On the chest I wear a patch that says POLIS, which is "police" in Swedish. On each arm there is a national police insignia. All are patches, attached with velcro. Moreover, I wear rank insignias on my shoulders and a metal police insignia on my hat.

Comment

Netherlands.

Yes we are armed.
                        Walther P5 9mm. We carry a total of 16 rounds. Were in the process of getting a new pistol but they don´t even know what yet so that will take a lot of time.
                        Our swat teams carry 8 extra rounds. Our riot squad has a few MP5´s but they are for stuff like WW3 breaking out.
                        Our national swat teams (full time) carry the MP5 on very very high risk stuff and have acces to sniper rifles.
                        Otherwise it´s just the P5. They recently got a few shotguns for beanbags but are only allowed to shoot at the legs with them. They are going to get the Glock 17 probably. Or shall i say they have the Glock 17 but aren´t allowed to use them.
                        We don´t have any "trunk" weapons and are forbidden to have back up guns.

Further we have OC, but not nearly as strong as US oc.
                        We have a silly looking little baton we carry in a sleeve in our uniform pants.

We have an ID card, no badge and recently got uniform blouses (white omg) with a silly patch on them.
                        All the stuff we get issued is crap. So stuff like duty belts and shoes and equipment we all purchase ourselves, well at least the cops that take their own safety serious.
                        Somewhere this year we are getting bulletproof vests! Yay! 2006 we get vests!
                        Last week we had 2 murders, and seized 3 pistols, one rifle and had a mental patient running arround with a SIG SWAT rifle. But hey we got 16 rounds of non expanding 9mm hollowpoints in 25 year old guns! And who needs vests anyway? A .223 will go thru that anyway.
                        We do have bulletproof vests in the trunk wich weigh like 35 pounds and make robocop look like a ballet dancer.

We drive a variety of brands. All are civilian models do so they break down every week. Last week i picked up our patrol car and left the other at the garage. This week i´m picking up that one again and leaving this one as it broke down again.

We are having as much trouble as the US with finding qualified people. In my department we have 4 two man cars for a city of almost 200,000. We have maybe two unarmed officers extra for small assignments.

We don´t have any form of regular shifts. We works all shifts and mostly directly after eachother. This week i work 7 nine hour days in a row. I start with 3 early (0700 till 1630) shifts followed by a late shift (13:45 till 23:15) then a day shift (08:30 till 1800) then a super late shift (17:00 till 0200) and then another late shift. Then i´m off one day and then go for 6 shifts in a row.

Our academy is now 4 years to become a full LEO.

Comment

I know that the other members so far have posted far more intersesting answers, but I will tell you anyway!
                          In UK it can differ greatly but for me inthe central area of england it is.
                          Expandable metal baton Asp or similar. Quickcuff rigid handcuffs. Cs spray very small% actual cs. Leg restraints( 2 peices of velcro, but effective) Body armour worn all the time now and most effective against knives with some ballistic protection.
                          My unit uses volvo T5 estate cars, range rovers, skoda VR6 and volvo s60 as unmarked patrol. There are also some toyota landcruisers and mercedes ml320 arpound but these are not particularly liked.
                          We work 12 hrs shifts. 2 days 0700 - 1900, 2 nights 1900 - 0700, Then 4 days off.
                          This is the best pattern I have worked in my 24 years service.
                          We can call on armed support but these are few and far between. They have access to MP5 rifles and semi auto pistol. I am not sure which one. They have also been given taser and plastic/bean bag baton guns. They can be really usefult at times because they also carry night vision equipment. They have a pretty thankless task as senn recently in the tube shooting. Damned if you do damned if you don't!

Comment

Specially for Henrik M

Just when I read your post, the almighty Kent was played in my winamp.

About the cold weather, you manage , as my swede say´d overthere , by " wearing layers ". At winter you might sit by the office for several ours doing reports and suddenly you have to go for an russian truck gone off the highway and you stand for 6 hours by the road. Not to mention standoff for a gunman. The difference might easily be some 50 celsius!!

Can´t wait the coming winter and the cold! We just managed the huge ( for Finland ) EU / Asia meetings. Most of us are just sucked off the juice...

Comment

Urkki, are you getting any counter-terrorism training? It's all the rage in the US, even though I live in the poorest county with exactly 2 "areas of interest" (power plants). My county is larger than two US states! But our Sheriff's Office is gearing up for a terrorist strike! And begging for Federal Funds - of course.
                              John Stuart Mill

Comment

The terrorism stuff that luckily does not exist in Finland yet, would be faced by the "Karhu" ( Bear ) ( Preparedness Unit ) of Helsinki City police department.

If the terrorist suddenly strike the rest of Finland, the first encounter will be taken by ordinary cops from the local departments. We do have our single-fire MP5´s , shotguns and tactical protective gear. And the "tactical" training, I hope, will be taken more seriously by our employers. One have to remember, that we have lot´s of firearms owned by good citizens, but sometimes the weapons get off-hand and many times we have to do calls involving the thread of firearms. The thread of terror is minimal here compared to local madmen. Of course it wouldn´t take much ( for example some religious community ) to get their eyes in this country, because of some maybe foolish things our goverment or media would say.

Luckily I work with some highly motivated teammates that are willing to do some
                                training off-duty to keep the ( minimal ) good routine up.
                                Last edited by Urkki; 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3937 users online. 269 members and 3668 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X