300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Police

Good luck to you all on this job and may you come out safe and well.

On a positive note - think of the heaps of Overtime$$$$$.

Police-Ring of Steel Around G8 Summit

Personally, I'm looking forward to the G8 conference up in Gleneagles, Scotland this summer. We're looking at pretty much every force in the UK sending PSU serials (Public order trained bobbies). I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation of the over-time already.
    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Just two things to remember:
      1. No mike or news camera is ever turned off.
      2. There is no such thing as "off the record" with any member of the press.
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

I'm up to date with my public order training so there's a chance of trip north of the border. I would imagine they'd have to swear in any English & Welsh cops that went on mutual aid.

Lobster.

Comment

Im so jealous. I see the brothers in Aussie have been very active lately with public disorder. Hopefully I will see some action when the Lions fans arrive in NZ and drink the place dry
          allblacks.com

Comment

Rugbyman,
            If it's action you're after the UK rugby fans are never a problem.
            Unlike the very strange breed of football (soccer) hooligan we have.
            These are very organised 'firms' of fanatical devotees, comprising from teenagers up to fellas in their 40s. Often they will be people who do not attract Police attention for yobbish behaviour in their normal lives, but somehow use football hooliganism for their weekend kicks.
            It's been around for so long now that it is a cultural thing. Hooligans will usually be decked out in expensive designer clothing such as Burberry, Lacoste, Aquascutum etc.
            To avoid Police attention 'rucks' with rival firms are organised beforehand. Occasionally groups of travelling supporters may cross paths while changing trains on route to away matches. This causes all manner of problems for British Transport Police who will always be outnumbered. Quite often there will be incidents where no arrests are able to be made and their priority is to just stop the trouble and disperse the offenders.
            I am aware that football hooliganism exists in Scotland, Germany and other parts of Europe, but do other countries have anything similar?
            Follow the link to a list of some the organised football hooligan firms.

Comment

While I'm on the subject of hooliganism, here's a related item in today's news.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

I thought it was one of our officers and a quick right click and a check of the images properties confirms it. Have to say the prisoner doesn't look a happy chap at all

Crustacean.

Comment

Raids, eh? I wonder what a UK Police raid is like. We would wear body armor, surround the place, "Knock & announce", kick in the door and put a gun in everyone's face, and force them down on the floor in cuffs, then sort the keepers from the 'catch & release'.

Somehow, I see a UK Police raid as two unarmed bobbys walking up to the door (not too late at night now), softly knocking, and asking if the suspect is in. They then invite him to come to the station with them, where they can share a cup of tea.
                  Or am I wrong?
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth
                    Raids, eh? I wonder what a UK Police raid is like. We would wear body armor, surround the place, "Knock & announce", kick in the door and put a gun in everyone's face, and force them down on the floor in cuffs, then sort the keepers from the 'catch & release'.

Somehow, I see a UK Police raid as two unarmed bobbys walking up to the door (not too late at night now), softly knocking, and asking if the suspect is in. They then invite him to come to the station with them, where they can share a cup of tea.
                    Or am I wrong?
                    Bit of both really. We do on occasion bosh in the door. But the "come on mate, let's go down the station and get this sorted" approach has its place too.
                    I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

I've just lifted the following from the Greater manchester Police website:

"Police officers from seven different UK forces have arrested 26 people in connection with a Greater Manchester Police investigation into disorder in Manchester city centre, following an international football game in October 2004".

The match was a World Cup qualifier played between England and Wales at the Old Trafford stadium where Manchester United play on 9th October 2004.

The latest update is as follows:

"Officers involved in Operation Lucas have arrested three more men bringing the total now in police custody to 31. One man was arrested in Ashton, one in West midlands and the third in West Yorkshire.

A breakdown of the arrests is as follows:

Fifteen men have been arrested by Staffordshire Police. One man was arrested in Stafford, 2 men in Bucknall, 1 man in Blythebridge, 1 man in Penkhull, 1 man in Trentham, 2 men in Longton, 1 man in Parkhall, 1 man in Stoke, 1 in Silverdale, 1 man in Wolstanton, 1 in Bignall End, 1 man in Talke and 1 in Newcastle under Lyme.

Four men have been arrested by Lancashire Police. Three arrests were made in Burnley and one in the Bacup area.

Two men have been arrested in the Grimsby area.

Two men have been arrested by Cheshire Police in the Macclesfield area.

One man has been arrested in Wiltshire.

One man has been arrested in Hampshire.

One man was arrested by Nottinghamshire Police in the Nottingham area.

A total of three men have now been arrested by West Midlands Police, the latest arrest was made in the West Bromwich area and the two earlier arrests were made in the Bescott area of Walsall and Walsall Wood.

A further man has been arrested by West Yorkshire Police in Wetherby".

GMP is the second largest English and Welsh force with well over 7000 officers and you can check its website on the following link:

Lobster.

Comment

Cockney Corner, I agree. My favorite arrest technique (I worked in plain clothes):
                        Wait until the suspect left his house (where his buddies and guns might be). When he parked, I'd hop out of my unmarked car and walk towards him with a big smile, calling him by name, holding out my hand as if to shake:
                        "Hey, David, I haven't seen you in years"
                        They would always take my hand with a bewildered look, at which time they got to play 'kiss the concrete" while I cuffed them and waved my badge in their face.
                        Funny part was, some would be face down, in cuffs, asking where we had met!
                        John Stuart Mill

Comment

We often make arrests by appointment keeps things nice and civilized

Lobster.

Comment

10,000 Police Officers On Duty!!

Whoa! - I'd hate to do that Operation Order!

Edinburgh Facing Deluge Of Anti-G8 Protests.

EDINBURGH (Reuters) - Scottish police face their biggest ever security operation as waves of protesters begin arriving in Edinburgh for demonstrations around next week's summit meeting of major industrial powers.

At least 100,000 people are expected to march through the city on Saturday in support of the Make Poverty History Campaign.

"Over the next two weeks Lothian and Borders Police faces the greatest operational challenge in its 200 year history," police chief Paddy Tomkins said in an eve-of-march message.

With memories still fresh of violent anti-capitalist clashes at previous Group of Eight summits, particularly in Genoa in which a protester was killed, Scottish police are preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

"We will be making every effort to ensure that a relatively small number of people with criminal intent do not exploit the laudable aims of the tens of thousands of people travelling to Edinburgh to seek a better life for the poorest and most vulnerable," Tomkins added.

Saturday's march and rally -- to be addressed by church leaders and activists from around the globe -- coincides with 10 Live 8 anti-poverty concerts from London to Tokyo and will kick off a week of protests.

The G8 leaders meet behind a five-mile long steel fence around the Gleneagles hotel and golf resort 40 miles (65 km) northwest of Edinburgh on Wednesday for a three-day summit tasked with aiding Africa and acting on global warming.

The protesters' main target is the United States which has agreed only modest extra aid and debt relief for Africa and which barely acknowledges that global warming is even happening.

Their case was bolstered by Irish rocker Bob Geldof, the organiser of the Live 8 concerts, who has appealed for one million people to converge on Edinburgh.

But on Thursday Edinburgh police reported little out of the ordinary.

"There are a few more posters and some anarchist graffiti, but no large groups of people or anything like that," said a spokeswoman.

The G8 Dissent group which is planning demonstrations at the summit and has already set up a campsite nearby, said small groups of people were starting to arrive from all over Britain as well as Sweden, Germany and Ireland.

From Saturday to Tuesday there will be an array of street parades, meetings and demonstrations with a G8 theme, but the real action starts on Wednesday with marches, rallies and attempted road blockades around the summit site.

The G8 Alternatives protest group is campaigning to be allowed to march inside the security cordon -- so far with no success -- and several special interest groups from anarchist golfers to gay activists plan other events at Gleneagles.

More than 10,000 police will be on duty -- from forces across Britain -- with orders to be friendly but firm.

"We have learned from experience at previous G8 summits," Superintendent Craig Suttie of Tayside police who are coordinating security at Gleneagles told Reuters. "It is the iron fist in the velvet glove."

Comment

Well Im one of those who will have to watch it on the news I didn't get an away ticket for this match My missus is very happy about that though so at least I get let off the housework for a while.

Although chatting to a few mates at work , we've been thinking. If you were an anarchist and you knew the numbers of police committed to Scotland. Wouldn't it be a blast if you and all your buddies went to another major city in the UK and kicked off there

What do you guys think?

Well those of you who are going , be safe and don
                              I don't make the law , I just enforce it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4050 users online. 229 members and 3821 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X