300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Scotland

I'm not up with the calibre of UK Local Councils but if they are anything like a few of the Local Councils we have here in Australia, the last thing I would want as a Police Force would to be accountable to a Local Council.

Here is an interesting read on the challenges facing Police Scotland,

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-...itics-36869359

"The creation of Police Scotland was a mistake" - I disagree.

"The government said police should not be accountable to politicians" - I agree.

I notice in the photo all of the officers are wearing the Hi-Viz Yellow (sigh)

I think it makes sense to have a centralised police force in jurisdictions like that.

'Local accountability' is a nebulous term that means different things to different people. If you align local goverment areas with police divisions or districts like VicPol does there shouldn't be an issue with local accountability.

The local coppers respond to the local issues. Councils should focus on collecting rubbish bins and putting up street signs rather than 'holding police accountable', whatever that means.

I prefer centralised police forces at the state level and the more fragmented systems used in the US and England and Wales don't make sense to me.

Comment

So is Police Scotland a national police force or a "state police" force within the UK? I still don't get how Scotland is technically a country, but kind sorta part of another country. How Australia is a country, but still in the "commonwealth" (whatever that is). And you guys think the American system is confusing??

I agree with you John, not a fan of hi-viz unless Im working on the highway.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

It's 'cause they need the English to make things run...

Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          It's 'cause they need the English to make things run
          Not touching this one with a barge pole...
          I'm a little bit waayy, a little bit wooah, a little bit woosh, I'm a geezer.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            So is Police Scotland a national police force or a "state police" force within the UK? I still don't get how Scotland is technically a country, but kind sorta part of another country. How Australia is a country, but still in the "commonwealth" (whatever that is). And you guys think the American system is confusing??
            Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland are all countries that are part of a greater whole: the United Kingdom. It's sort of similar to the US except that the central government devolves powers back to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland rather than the states ceding power to a federal government.

I think the best comparison of Police Scotland for the US is to a full service US state police agency or an Australian state police force.

The Commonwealth is just an international organisation of former British colonies like Canada or Australia.

However the full title of my country is the 'Commonwealth of Australia' and a lot of people say 'Commonwealth government' rather than 'federal government'.

Clear as mud?

We don't have a choice unfortunately. We can only take it off during sieges or where we might be in a situation where we need to be stealthy.

Comment

It's been awful weather here recently, raining non stop.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

reils49, you wouldn't be the only American confused by the term Britain, United Kingdom and the Commonwealth of Nations.

I have heard many Americans refer to England when they really mean the United Kingdom; for example many Americans when discussing military matters refer to the English Army; there is no English Army, there is a British Army.

Check this out and see if it helps your understanding,

http://www.infoplease.com/uk/languag...and-isles.html

Comment

Thanks John, that cleared tings up.

Police in the US are local because cities may have their own regulations. For example, in New York city ,they did have (do have?) a law that you must move your car to the other side of the street every day. Part street cleaning, but also so they could identify & remove derelict and abandoned cars.

In some towns, there are noise ordinances - no gasoline leaf blowers before 10 AM on a Sunday. The next town over may not have that.
                  "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                  John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    It's 'cause they need the English to make things run...

William Wallace: Go back to England and tell them there that Scotland’s daughters and her sons are yours no more. Tell them Scotland is free.

Last edited by JohnKelly; 10-09-2016, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Can't like that enough!
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleuth View Post
                        Thanks John, that cleared tings up.

Police in the US are local because cities may have their own regulations. For example, in New York city ,they did have (do have?) a law that you must move your car to the other side of the street every day. Part street cleaning, but also so they could identify & remove derelict and abandoned cars.

In some towns, there are noise ordinances - no gasoline leaf blowers before 10 AM on a Sunday. The next town over may not have that.

In Australia the municipalities/shires have local laws officers that enforce all that sort of stuff apart from noise regulations which apply statewide and can be enforced by police.

Comment

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Great link, John.
                          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Further to Police Scotland, given that Scotland now has one Police Force to cover the whole of Scotland can a member, say a Constable or Sergeant apply for a particular station or must they go where they are sent?

For example its a far cry from a nice little job in the highlands to a busy station in Glasgow.

I recall members of the Royal Ulster Constabulary in the 1960's having no choice as to what station they were sent.

Comment

I still don't get how Scotland is technically a country, but kind sorta part of another country. How Australia is a country, but still in the "commonwealth" (whatever that is).
                              Here's an entertaining 5-minute video explaining it all:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

*NOTE: Not updated for Brexit.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5291 users online. 285 members and 5006 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X