300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man dead, two officers stabbed outside police station

Apparently he was making threats against the Prime Minister.

Hopefully both officers make a quick recovery.

A MAN has been shot dead and two police officers wounded after an incident during a joint agency investigation outside Endeavour Hills police station tonight.

A Victoria Police officer and Australian Federal Police agent are believed to have been stabbed by an occupant of a car they pulled over outside the police station in Melbourne’s southeast.

It is believed the Victoria Police officer drew his gun and shot the alleged attacker dead.

Both officers were taken to hospital and are believed to be in a stable condition.

Police have confirmed that one man has been shot dead.

The station has been blocked off by police tape, officers are surrounding the area and traffic has been diverted from Heatherton Rd in both directions.

Detectives are on scene to investigate.

A young boy who lives nearby said he heard a single shot coming from the police station at about 7.45pm.

It is not known what the joint taskforce was investigating or who the target was in the car.

Although it was initally believed the incident did not involve a Victoria Police officer, details emerging suggest they were involved in the joint investigation with the AFP.

It is therefore likely Victoria Police’s Professional Standards Command will investigate if one of the force’s members was involved in the fatal shooting.

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman confirmed its paramedics attended the scene about 7.40pm but would not provide further details.

Update:
    A TERROR suspect, 18, who allegedly made threats against Prime Minister Tony Abbott has been shot dead by police after stabbing a Victoria Police officer and federal agent.

The man, who security sources said had recently had his passport cancelled, met officers from the joint counter terrorism team outside the Endeavour Hills police station in Melbourne’s southeast.

It is understood he had been under surveillance for having allegedly made threats against Mr Abbott.

The joint counter-terrorism operation was aimed at detaining and questioning the man in relation to the threats, sources said.

It is believed police were in the process of detaining him when the incident happened.

Senior intelligence sources confirmed he was among a number of people who had their passports recently cancelled.

It is believed he was well known to police and was alleged to have displayed IS - or Islamic State - flags in a local Dandenong shopping centre.

The Victoria Police officer and Australian Federal Police agent, both involved in the joint agency investigation, were stabbed by the occupant of a car they pulled over outside Endeavour Hills police station about 7.40pm.

A Monash Health spokeswoman confirmed one officer was taken to Dandenong Hospital in a stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries. He was expected to be discharged late last night or today.

The other was taken to The Alfred hospital in a critical but stable condition.

The bomb squad has deployed its robot and an explosives expert in a protective “detonation suit” to explore the Endeavour Hills police station, as forensic police comb the scene.

After being asked why an explosives expert was deployed to the crime scene a police source said police were “treating this crime scene very, very seriously”.

The police station has been blocked off by police tape with officers surrounding the area and traffic diverted from Heatherton Rd in both directions.

Onlookers were pushed further back as a taped off area was extended.

A young boy who lives nearby said he heard a single shot coming from the police station.

Service station attendant Shafi Miya, who was working across the road when the incident unfolded, said he heard a loud shot before police cars and an ambulance descended on the scene shortly after.

He said the incident was “pretty scary”.

It was not known what the alleged threat against Mr Abbott may have involved, or whether the man had been involved in planning some kind of attack.

Premier Denis Napthine left a question and answer forum early tonight as the emergency unfolded.

The Prime Minister was tonight on a plane to New York from Canberra, where he will attend UN meetings dealing with the rising threat of Islamic State.

Endeavour Hills is in the seat of MP Anthony Byrne, the deputy chair of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security.

“My main concern is for the welfare of the officers involved,” he said.

Comment

I pray for the officers speedy recovery. I suspect we'll be seeing similar situations here soon.
      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
        I pray for the officers speedy recovery. I suspect we'll be seeing similar situations here soon.
        Both were confirmed to be in a stable condition a few days ago, thankfully.

Apparently the plan was to behead them, drape their bodies in the IS flag, and post the photos online.

Police feared the 18-year-old man shot dead outside the Endeavour Hills police station planned to behead officers and post the images online.

Numan Haider used a small knife to attack an Australian Federal Police officer and a Victorian policeman before he was shot dead with a single shot.

When Mr Haider was searched he was found to be carrying a larger knife and an Islamic State flag.

Police believe the plan was to follow instructions from the international terror group Islamic State and behead the officers, cover the bodies in the flag and then take photos to post via the internet.

He had been the subject of police investigations for the past three months as he had become increasingly radical.

Schoolfriends said he showed no signs of violent behaviour in secondary college.

Police say he was part of a small group of Islamic Melbourne men who have been sharing violent hate messages.

His passport was cancelled as police became concerned, although they chose to meet him outside a police station to avoid inflaming the situation.

"No one was aware what was in his mind," a senior policeman said.

Meanwhile, the head of an Islamic group linked to Mr Haider would not confirm whether he had been involved with the controversial al-Furqan Islamic Centre in Springvale South.

Harun Mehicevic, also known as Abu Talha, spoke to Fairfax Media near the centre, the focus of a large counter-terrorism operation in 2012.
        Mr Mehicevic declined to comment about Mr Haider, or the Endeavour Hills shooting, saying the group might release a media statement later on Wednesday. It has been reported that Mr Haider spent time with the group.

In 2012, it appeared al-Furqan members were suspected of involvement in extremist activity, including fund-raising for rebel forces in Syria.

It is unclear whether Mr Mehicevic has been caught up in recent wide-ranging cancellations of passports by authorities, given he was in his native Bosnia when the raids occurred in 2012 and was allowed to return freely to Australia.

Comment

I have the feeling that this is only the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulgrave600 View Post
            I have the feeling that this is only the beginning.
            Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Stay safe.

Comment

Watch that six and head on a swivel, gents. Stay safe.
              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4349 users online. 281 members and 4068 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X