300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Recent/Current CIVPOL officers

Been selected to go to afghanastain soon, I was just wondering if anyone is on a mission now or recently returned.. Looking for basic info on living arrangements, mission's with ING's, etc, etc...
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
    Been selected to go to afghanastain soon, I was just wondering if anyone is on a mission now or recently returned.. Looking for basic info on living arrangements, mission's with ING's, etc, etc...
    Can't answer your question but am thinking myself about going, how was the process?
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by K9krazy21 View Post
      Sending PM

Comment

we would all like to know

Comment

Guys there is alot of info on the policlink.com forums. Just search dyncorp or civpol

Comment

Last I Found Most Of It Is Old

Comment

It is up to date, with many posts added daily....

Comment

I am in the process and tentatively scheduled to leave in Jan 2010. I have a good friend who is on his second tour with DynCorp in Iraq. He has told me that it really isn't too bad over there, all things considered. According to him, you are generally assigned to a military compound that has most of the comforts of home, including good food, ice cream, coffee, etc., and entertainment. Some of the more remote outposts lack many of the comforts, but they are tolerable and you generally don't stay at these for long periods of time. He said with only one or two exceptions, every place he has been assigned had A/C, and those exceptions were only overnight stops. There is Internet access everywhere he has been posted, and he regularly chats with his wife online and using Skype. He said the danger level is not like it was a few years back and that he has not been engaged in any significant hostile action. They do try to mortar the base where he stays, but the compound is so large, the rounds don't make it far enough in to cause any risk to the DynCorp guys. When on convoy to other sites, the ride in armored vehicles - usually Hummers or Bradley APC's.

As far as DynCorp is concerned, he said it is a great company to work for. Pay is deposited on time, they furnish everything you need, and the gear is top notch, which is not the case for other contractors. They issue Beretta M-9 pistols, M-4 rifles, and ammo is plentiful. They even provide Wiley-X sunglasses. He has no complaints about DynCorp whatsoever.

Obviously, he has no direct knowledge of conditions in Afghanistan, which is where DynCorp is sending all their people now. My recruiter was originally going to get me into Iraq, but when I called to start the process a couple of weeks later, he told me that they have canceled all upcoming classes for Iraq and they are actually preparing to draw down people from Iraq. From what I have gleaned elsewhere, Afghanistan has gotten better with the military installations being improved. I would think the weather is a little more hospitable than Iraq as well. Pay for Afghanistan isn't as good at $118,407 with the first $87,600 tax free, but the recruiter said he heard they are trying to get it raised, or at a minimum get the $87K tax-free limit raised. That tax-free status requires that you cannot spend more than 32 days in the U.S. for the year. They pay for your travel to and from the mission, one round-trip ticket to the U.S., and any other trips they pay for airfare to Dubai. Once there, you can travel wherever you want on your own dime. Not a bad deal considering. The only downer is the separation from family and the potential for getting killed, but the homicide rate is higher in Chicago than for soldiers in the middle east. My recruiter went to Iraq in 2004 when it was at its worst and he only knew of two contractors for DynCorp CIVPOL who were killed during his year there. On a side note, CPI is still sending police advisers to Kosovo as well. The pay is not as good ($97K last I heard), but probably far less dangerous.
                God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

hey tahnks foe the info bout what do u mean buy the tax free status u can't spend 32 days in the us???

Comment

Trying to get to Afghanistan now with Dyncorp. Tentative ship date of December 5th.
                    11 Year Veteran, Law Enforcement Purple Heart Recipient 2002

sigpic

Comment

Just wondering, what happens if you get seriously injured while over there? I mean there isn't a V.A. system for contractors.... Do they medical transport you to Dubai and then you or your medical proxy figure out the rest?

Just something I've wondered since I first learned about contractors, one of the things that makes contractors cheaper than military or federal employees is the lack of overhead caused by benefits programs.

Comment

Workmans Comp. All companies are required to furnish covereage. You would be evac'ed back to the states and it goes from there. Not great, so you should purchase your own insurance and make sure it provides coverage in a war zone.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

started the process and departure date scheduled for feb 2010.Being away from family will be tough wife and kids aren't thrilled but recruiter states you can return every 90 days the first time on them. if you run out of vacation time you can take some unpaid leave but you must remain out of USA for 333 days nonconsecutive for the tax man not to get you .Figure I'll be back a least twice or more like 3 times in a year.It takes 2 days to get there and 2 to get back so keep track of your time.

Comment

Those without a military combat deployment, good luck. I couldn't imagine leaving a civilian policing career and replacing it with what appears to be an international "police" mission especially if never deployed before. The dangers and accidents found in stateside policing are compounded in an OEF/OIF environment.

Comment

Originally posted by MLPJLP View Post
                              Those without a military combat deployment, good luck. I couldn't imagine leaving a civilian policing career and replacing it with what appears to be an international "police" mission especially if never deployed before. The dangers and accidents found in stateside policing are compounded in an OEF/OIF environment.

Yeah. We know.
                              11 Year Veteran, Law Enforcement Purple Heart Recipient 2002

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5915 users online. 317 members and 5598 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X