300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Crime of Being Too Successful

Several years ago I had the opportunity to travel to Cuba to study their criminal justice system. I went because Cuba was the last bastion of Communism in the western world and I wanted to see first hand how the police and court systems actually worked under that type of government.

While there, I visited a restaurant called the Blue Huron. The Blue Huron is what's called a Paladar, which is a restaurant that is run out of someone's home. The Cuban government allows people do this in order to increase their meager income, which right now averages around $22 US per month. Paladars are heavily taxed and the owners must pay the government a $200 per month fee, no matter how much or how little their profits.

Recently my attention was called to an internet website documenting the criminal prosecution of the Blue Huron's owners. Apparently, their little paladar was so successful that with the profits. they were able to buy 7 homes, half interest in a restaurant in Italy and they had enough money left over to become patrons of the arts, making large donations to museums and schools throughout Havana. They also helped local artists by displaying their paintings for sale in the restaurants and accepted paintings in trade for meals when the artists were broke. Apparently such entrepreneurial success and generosity is a major felony in a Communist country where everyone is supposed to remain poor, starving and dependent on the government for meager handouts.

Someone has obtained a summary of the Cuban police report, translated it to English and posted it on the internet as a slide show, along with "evidence photos" of the restaurant, which simply document a well stocked restaurant (which again, seems to be a crime). Reading it would be hilarious if it weren't for the fact that they are dead serious about prosecuting this guy simply for being a successful businessman.

For your amusement, take a look at: http://www.slideshare.net/pomairino/...ype=powerpoint
    Last edited by L-1; 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

What would Sean Penn, Oliver Stone, Steven Soderbergh, POTUS B.H. Obama, and all the other Castro-loving lefties say about this?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

This is sick...I've heard a lot of horror stories about Cuba...I wonder what's going to happen now that it's pretty much easy to travel and send money...This is going to mean more sucessful bussines', are they going to lock up all the bussines owners now?..Sad to say, but Venezuela is going in the same direction...

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
      What would Sean Penn, Oliver Stone, Steven Soderbergh, POTUS B.H. Obama, and all the other Castro-loving lefties say about this?
      They have their head to far up their butt they can't see the truth...
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southflaguy View Post
        This is sick...I've heard a lot of horror stories about Cuba.
        Yes, with a screen name like yours, I'm sure you have.

Back at LAPD Rampart we had many Cubans living and running little stores and restaurants, there. I always wondered how those old men used to take it when they'd walk by the schools and see images of Che Guevara on posters and tee-shirts worn by the psuedo-revolutionary punks.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
          Yes, with a screen name like yours, I'm sure you have.

Back at LAPD Rampart we had many Cubans living and running little stores and restaurants, there. I always wondered how those old men used to take it when they'd walk by the schools and see images of Che Guevara on posters and tee-shirts worn by the psuedo-revolutionary punks.
          I'm sure they are part of the government propaganda: wear a Che shirt, red bandana, chant pro-communist chants, ect...Elian Gonzales is a good example...I'm sure they get treated well (food, clothes, shelter, ect), well better then an average citizen...

What's really sad is that you'll have kids here in Miami wear a Che shirt (and/or other accessories) and think of him a hero...I've even seen people here in Miami w/ a Che tattoo...

In Cuba people have no choice, here in S.Florida some people don't know any better...
          sigpic

Comment

Get ready, with the proposed tax structure of this administration, that kind of thing will be coming here next.

BTW, in Mexico, if you make more than a certain number ($40,000 ?) per year, everything over that is taxed at 100%. That explains the lack of a middle class.
            "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
            John Stuart Mill

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2178 users online. 87 members and 2091 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X