300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian officers...

One of my co-workers brother is a police officer in Alberta (where? I didn't ask) She said that a police officer here is not justified in shooting a suspect who is using a knife as a weapon. She says that equal amount of force is required, and claims that a knife (deadly force) does not constitute the use of a gun.

I honestly don't think it's true, is it?

Im not in LE but im an armed guard. We are taught that knives are deadly force which requires us to go to firearms on the use of force. The LE use of force diagram is very similar to ours.

Comment

How competitive is the O.P.P. hiring process?
      It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by IrocGuy View Post
        Im not in LE but im an armed guard. We are taught that knives are deadly force which requires us to go to firearms on the use of force. The LE use of force diagram is very similar to ours.
        That's what I thought.

Comment

Short answer: no, Canadian police CAN bring a gun to a knife fight AND use it.

Long answer: ALL use of force requires justification when the dust settles. Obviously your co-worker was not paying attention to her brother when he told her what was what.
          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

The 2 shooting situations I have been involved in were exactly that...knife VS gun, guess what came out on top? They train us that any closer than 21 feet to a knife and you are dead. That's what got me home alive at the nd of the shift...one S&W #10 and one Brushmaster with "OO". This ain't the movies...this is real life.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5645 users online. 319 members and 5326 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X