300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite views over military bases

Is that against the law and something we banned or what's the deal with that?

Do you think you should be able to see inside a secure military base?

Comment

Okay, that's why I was asking.. there's a site with a slightly outdated google maps and it's got every military base in the U.S. including probably secret stuff people shouldn't know about on it.. if any MILITARY personnel on here want it let me know if your not MILITARY then sorry no-no.

Comment

Some have been removed, some the photos have been altered, and some you can still look into.

Comment

no, i found a site that you can clearly see the jet engines on c-17's, c-130's and other military jets, boats, installations, the lines that come into the ground when a missile is launched, all that. Oh and you can see area-51 but you can see that on maps.google.com anyway.. I could find it without typing anything in

M-11 I could already start putting my hours in eh?

Also, McChord AFB in this picture has only c-17's it looks like
          Last edited by Taylor13; 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Most military installations are not "super secret".

In fact, you can go to any of the installation websites and view/download a complete map of the installation.

You're looking at buildings, boats and planes. You don't know what's in them or what is going on.

So in short, no, it's not illegal. The "super secret" ones will be altered or removed completely.
            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Reason I'm asking Justhomp is because they removed a buncha stuff off google maps a while ago. And because people can use them to plan a base attack.
              Last edited by Taylor13; 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Most of it had to do with our stuff overseas, not our stuff here at home.

Figured out the insurgents were using google maps to look at the layout of our FOBs and Camps in Iraq/Afghanistan and other fun places...

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
                  Most of it had to do with our stuff overseas, not our stuff here at home.

Figured out the insurgents were using google maps to look at the layout of our FOBs and Camps in Iraq/Afghanistan and other fun places...
                  Oh that makes sense.

Comment

In fact, you can go to any of the installation websites and view/download a complete map of the installation.

You're looking at buildings, boats and planes. You don't know what's in them or what is going on.

So in short, no, it's not illegal. The "super secret" ones will be altered or removed completely.
                    A. What he said. One can go to the base's web site or DOD PR folks and figure out what's going on there....with no issues at all. That will include how many (roughly) troops are there....how many family members are there....types of equipment is there....etc....

B. If it's that secret.....DOD will make Google take it off. We just had an issue this spring that Google was trying to come on post and do the Google Street Level View stuff (or whatever the hell it's called) and post it online...... Guess how far that got? Any vehicle that has Google Markings or outside visable cameras are banned from post and Google pulled the 2-3 places they had already put online........

C. Remember, at the local level....you can count planes all you want....but on any gven day, that could be drastically different due to all kinds of circumstances...... Plus, if you really look for it.....one can find out about every day coming/goings of military aircraft....just have to know where to look....

Comment

Google earth is far too powerful.
                      "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Exactly, we have two military bases near where I am. One is just a training base, really almost like a college for military people. The other one is one of the blackest bases in the country. I can promise you, from having google earthed both of them, and been on both of them, that what you see on google earth is very different from what you see when you are on the ground on the base, depending on which one you are looking at .

Comment

Originally posted by Group 29 View Post
                          Exactly, we have two military bases near where I am. One is just a training base, really almost like a college for military people. The other one is one of the blackest bases in the country. I can promise you, from having google earthed both of them, and been on both of them, that what you see on google earth is very different from what you see when you are on the ground on the base, depending on which one you are looking at .
                          Hell, you can just pull up Ft Bragg, or Hunter Army Airfield and there will be certain sections "missing" from Google Earth.

Comment

Ever try to look at base with tanks? Last time I tried the park areas were blocked out or very fuzzy.....Google is working with DoD to make sure nothing really serious gets out.

Groom lake has a great clear shot

Farewell, I can see my old ship pierside in Philly at the navy yard.
                            A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by farewelltonavy
                              ) Do you get homesick too when you see that Ray? I secretly do!

The thing with let's say ships, or barracks is that in today's world, anyone with a desire to die can try to attact military installations/tanks/ships whatever. For that same reason people were arrested for taking too many pictures of the bridge in NYC (Brooklyn maybe)

That's why this kind of scares me, it provides anyone with an easy layout of objects to attack, fairly safe and anonymous.
                              While it seems it would be easy to attack, it really wouldn't be. I'm not sure when you got out of the Navy, but force protection has increased and has become a major priority for posts/camps/bases.

While I've thought of and even practiced (don't ask) some scenarios, it would be hard to do without good training and an elaborate plan involving a lot of people... and the more people involved, the harder it is to keep your intentions secret...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5819 users online. 328 members and 5491 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X