300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    I say no. BOP doesn't get badges, and oddly enough, we are law enforcement, so giving badges to a bunch of TSO's seems ridiculous to me.
    The BOP does not get badges because the SES staff does not want the I/Ms to feel C/O are authority figures. Also they are worried about off duty incidents. If the BOP had more stringent hiring standards and training it would solve a lot of the problems. I'm a former BOP SO.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
      The BOP does not get badges because the SES staff does not want the I/Ms to feel C/O are authority figures. Also they are worried about off duty incidents. If the BOP had more stringent hiring standards and training it would solve a lot of the problems. I'm a former BOP SO.
      I personally don't need a badge. I realize that the policy is not going to change, and that is fine. However I have a real issue with TSO's having badges for the exact reason BOP doesn't let us have badges. TSO's should not be seen as having any type of law enforcement authority, and the badges have led to many off duty incidents.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

TSA does a thankless job.

Whether they wear a badge or not does not change their daily interaction with the "public"...

Come on peeps - heck Nordstrom used badges for their Loss Prevention folk back in the day...

A gun does not define a person... the person's intent defines the gun's action - same with a badge... Either a person abuses the badge or they do not...

A bunch of crying by a few fellow LEO's here - I am surprised to some extent. 99% of LEO's find themselves in a thankless job more than not... and to tear apart a person about a thankless job is to some degree - Hypocritical ~ least IMO.

I know, this is a forum for chat... opinions shared. Everyone thumps their proverbial keyboard chest to up their arrogance chip... Whatever floats your boat.

In the end - I would have to say, the OP is opening a can of worms to encourage such a discussion on a forum of this sort... Though the crux of the frustration as I can see is well felt by many of us in law enforcement.

I have more than enough respect for their job... Have I been scrutinized for my firearm, maybe a simple small mouth wash bottle? how about the days of the thickness of my shoes sole??? - sure... though interaction with a person dealing with public bitch session after bitch session can often smirk a small smile from someone that appreciates and respects their thankless operation.

Or... maybe we should go back to $8.00 hr private security chumps? I think not. That was a waste of personnel.

Cheers to TSA for their work - Cheers to those LEO's who recognize the sacrifices made in a thankless day to day operation... Any open minded seasoned LEO can identify with such.
        Last edited by Sytes; 11-07-2009, 10:35 PM.
        Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

Here in Kansas City, we use a private company rather than TSO's. They get the job done just fine, and guess what? They don't have badges.
          What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Here in Kansas City, we use a private company rather than TSO's. They get the job done just fine, and guess what? They don't have badges.
            Errr..... some of those private company folks have been known to slide TSA Patches into their wallets.....and show them to County Deputies as they are heading to work and getting stopped for driving like idiots.....

I would suspect if someone can get a patch.....they damn sure can get a badge....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              Errr..... some of those private company folks have been known to slide TSA Patches into their wallets.....and show them to County Deputies as they are heading to work and getting stopped for driving like idiots.....

I would suspect if someone can get a patch.....they damn sure can get a badge....
              Yeah, I just meant that they could get the job done without a shiny metal badge on their chests. I don't doubt your story for a second, having known a couple of people who worked for FirstLine.
              What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

they could get the job done without a shiny metal badge on their chests.
                That goes for cops, too.

There are several State Police Agencies in the U.S. that don't issue their Troopers chest badges...

Does that make them lesser Police Officers? No, of course it doesn't. It's just not part of that particular agency's uniform.

A piece of tin doesn't make the officer.

And it doesn't give the officer his / her authority either. It's that little piece of laminated plastic, with the officer's photo on it that does.

Comment

Yeah, I just meant that they could get the job done without a shiny metal badge on their chests. I don't doubt your story for a second, having known a couple of people who worked for FirstLine.
                  I know that myself....and several others from the County.....along with the Airport Cops have seen it.....

I have also served warrants to FL folks......

Comment

Originally posted by BritCop in USA View Post
                    That goes for cops, too.

There are several State Police Agencies in the U.S. that don't issue their Troopers chest badges...

Does that make them lesser Police Officers? No, of course it doesn't. It's just not part of that particular agency's uniform.

A piece of tin doesn't make the officer.

And it doesn't give the officer his / her authority either. It's that little piece of laminated plastic, with the officer's photo on it that does.
                    Missouri State Highway Patrol is one of them.

The piece of tin doesn't make the officer, but it does make a bunch of wannabes think that they are officers, which is exactly why they don't need a badge.

Are you a TSO, is that why you are so defensive with concern to this subject? I have no clue why you think TSO's should have badges.

Go ahead, tell me why you specifically feel the need to defend the TSO's. I am really curious. My guess is that you are a TSO masquerading as an leo on this site and that I and other posters here hit a nerve when we suggested you guys didn't need badges.
                    What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Missouri State Highway Patrol is one of them.

Are you a TSO, is that why you are so defensive with concern to this subject? I have no clue why you think TSO's should have badges.

Go ahead, tell me why you specifically feel the need to defend the TSO's. I am really curious. My guess is that you are a TSO masquerading as an leo on this site and that I and other posters here hit a nerve when we suggested you guys didn't need badges.
                      Okay TheKansan... I've just wet my pants laughing at your comment!!!

I think you need to re-read my previous posts on this thread, to see where I'm coming from (perhaps YOU need to work on your investigative skills, my friend?) I made my position quite clear - personally I don't think ANY security need badges (there again, neither do cops) but just to pick on one partiuclar group of security workers (the TSA screeners) seems a little unfair to me.

What makes Joe Bloggs, a Mall Guard or Factory Guard worthy of a badge? But these bunch (TSA) not worthy of a badge? And in whose great opinion?

Yours? Someone whose been in LE for all of 5 minutes, I see from your profile.

If you read my profile son, you'll see that I'm a very long serving Law Enforcement veteran, with almost 27 years experience under my belt.

In fact, if you care to PM me your e-mail address TheKansan I will gladly send you my Resume to read. I think you might even get a little professionally "aroused" by reading it.

And no, I am not a TSO - never have been, never will be.

I can assure you that I know far too much about Law Enforcement and/or Security Management to EVER get a job with the TSA. They'd never take me. Jobs like that hate anyone with any real experience. That's why they've got the general caliber of personnel that they have, pure and simple.

Comment

Why would seeing your resume prove anything to me? It could be a random resume you downloaded from anywhere off the internet. All I know is that you seem to want to defend the TSO's with every ounce of your being for no reason whatsoever. That seems more than a little suspicious to me. Are you married to a TSO, or do you have a relative who is a TSO?

What makes Joe Bloggs, a Mall Guard or Factory Guard worthy of a badge? But these bunch (TSA) not worthy of a badge? And in whose great opinion?
                        My opinion stands, security guards, crossing guards, TSO's etc should not have badges. This does nothing except confuse the general public who associates anyone with a badge as being someone with law enforcement authority.

I already said just that earlier in the thread. Maybe you missed it. Oh and I had just that opinion prior to ever becoming a cop.
                        What is Perseverance?

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Why would seeing your resume prove anything to me? It could be a random resume you downloaded from anywhere off the internet. All I know is that you seem to want to defend the TSO's with every ounce of your being for no reason whatsoever. That seems more than a little suspicious to me. Are you married to a TSO, or do you have a relative who is a TSO?

My opinion stands, security guards, crossing guards, TSO's etc should not have badges. This does nothing except confuse the general public who associates anyone with a badge as being someone with law enforcement authority.

I already said just that earlier in the thread. Maybe you missed it. Oh and I had just that opinion prior to ever becoming a cop.
                          Well you obviously haven't bothered to read any of my previous posts, thoroughly enough. If you did, you would see that we are actually in agreement on quite a lot.

All I am saying (and keep saying) is that all security workers should be treated in the same manner. Either let them all have badges or take them all away. End of story. Don't just single out one particular segment of the security industry.

It's like saying that all security guards who work at Walmart should have their badges removed, but every other guard in the country can keep theirs.

If you cannot understand this simple line of reasoning, you really shouldn't be in the Law Enforcement profession. Furthermore, if you cannot glean basic information from simple written text, don't ever apply for an Investigator's job.

And as for trying to defend the TSA with "every ounce of my being" as you put it - I've already described them as being Crap... I can't really get away with being any more descriptive than that, on this forum.

Oh, and no. I'm not married to, related to, or aquainted with any member of the TSA. In fact, the only interaction I have ever had with them has been rather disappointing, to say the least. They are some of the worst, most unprofessional staff I have come into contact with.

But that goes for many, many security staff that I have met over the years - not just in airports. I'm not discriminating against any particular sector of the security industry.

I really don't know what your beef is TheKansan but you really need to grow up. And you certainly need to work on your reading and observation skills. Mind you, when you've been in the job a little longer, perhaps you just might?

Comment

My thought.....TSOs/UNARMED Guards, Wal-Mart folks, Target folks, etc..... Should not have badges. Period......

They are nothing but collateral damage when a gunman shows up and starts firing.... Guess who he/she is going to fire at first...? Thats right....the dude/dudette walking around with the badge on....and no handgun......

Absoultely boggles my mind when folks are given a badge/radio and told to go out and patrol some place....but don't have a weapon to protect themselves or the folks they are suppose to be guarding.....

I about crapped myself when I was in DC the last time.....some dude in a uniform with a badge and radio on walking around the Mall.....like he was going to do something if a terrorist/criminal hit the area......

Comment

cutting the line

There seems to be alot of knowledge in here so maybe I can get an answer to a question that no TSA officer could ever answer at the gate..

Is there a law on the books that allows pilots (and co-pilots and flight attendants etc) to cut the security line or is that merely a courtesy that seems to be a law?

If anyone knows the statute, I would appreciate it...Thank you
                              10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

Most airports have an employee line...so they don't necessarily cut but they are allowed to bypass the passenger lane. They don't normally cut in front of the xray line. They too are subjected to the same screening even secondary screening but are allowed their liquids as long as they are crew.

Just remember the crew has to be on board and prepare the cabin before the passengers are allowed on...so if they do get in line ahead of you...it really shouldn't make a difference.
                                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4571 users online. 249 members and 4322 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X