X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by DAL View Post
    Congressional opposition will be muted because Obama himself signed the Execute Order.
    Glad someone beat me to it. I doubt the "libs" will care much because of the above. Though Somalia is a $hithole and has no true government I wonder how we would feel if another nation executed an op like that here...any case good job guys.

TGY

Leave a comment:

• GrndPnd0311
    replied
    Not that any helo is really safe but at least the CH-46s and 53s have SOME sheet metal between me and the badguys to give me the guise of safety. Not so much with the Little Birds....a good sniper or RPG-man will make your life hell... AND YOU CAN SEE IT COMING! Hooray for night ops!

Leave a comment:

• w8ing2hear
    replied
    I've always imagined the Little Bird must be a blast to fly in urban environments. That high maneuverability, relatively light airframe... zipping down Somali streets about 20 feet off the deck... assuming there aren't any power lines strung across the road to zap the fun out of it.

Leave a comment:

• 11b101abn
    replied
    Blah blah blah.

Kill them. They are sub human trash.

Leave a comment:

• cpd169
    replied
    Too bad they couldn't call in an air strike with napalm and take the whole lot of them out, but am glad they were able to send Abu to find out that he read the wrong book.

Leave a comment:

• JTShooter
    replied
    Most of the time, for operations such as this one, the SEALs will go to the 160th to get them in and out of the X... the Nightstalkers fly LittleBirds.....

This was probably a typical raid in which the little birds dropped the team and then provided close air support until they were ready to be extracted...

::goes back to his hole::

Leave a comment:

• M-11
    replied
    I guess they are keeping their chins up and all...

M-11

Leave a comment:

• GrndPnd0311
    replied
    This was posted on Al-Shabaabs' facebook page:

“We carry to the nation of Islam the good-news of martyrdom of the commander Abu Yousef Saleh Ali Saleh al-Nabhan, along with a group of his brothers on the morning of Monday, dated 24th of Ramadan 1430 Hij., September 14th, 2009, as the crusaders military air-force, with the help of their warships across the Muslim Somali shores, targeted the sheikh commander Saleh Ali Saleh al-Nabhan, known as Abu Yousef, along with his companions—may Allah have mercy on them—while travelling in the lower regions of the Islamic Shbeila province, and the crusader enemy carried a hovering operation and [then] attacked the car carrying the commander Abu Yusif and his brothers, may Allah accept them.”
    “In the attack, six helicopters participated and began firing heavily and in a concentrated manner, and targeted the brothers' car. One of the jets carried a quick landing believing that they have killed the brothers, but the lions, despite their small number and basic weapons, were able, with Allah's grace, to respond against the enemy and resisted, and a fight took place that lasted almost an hour, until four more helicopters intervened to back the first, and Allah willed for sheikh commander Abu Yousef to fall a martyr with a group of his companions, and the enemy rushed to the location and took the corpses of the brothers, and we do not know the enemy's size of losses during the clash.”
    “We assure our great Muslim nation and its mujahideen children and we give them the good-news that we are in the heart of a fateful battle with the Zionist-Crusader alliance, and war is numbers except that our dead [people] are in heaven and theirs are in hell. And we say that because our beloved brother sheikh commander Saleh Ali Saleh al-Nabhan is from those who Allah has written martyrdom for him in the incident, it is precisely what we congratulate his family and nation about, and it is what his soul longed for; migrated to Allah an escapee with his religion and doctrine almost two decades ago. [al-Nisa 100]”
    “Allah has disappointed the goals of our foolish enemies with their delusion that the spark of Jihad in the Muslim Land and the Jihadist awakening—that which shook the reigns of infidels and apostates—might become extinguished by targeting the mujahideen leaders. No, it is the dear faith of Allah and his victorious soldiers and Muslims have prepared for you O enemies of Allah what will blow your mind, thus continue seeding and continue your aggression as the fruits of what you'll harvest certainly you will harvest, and you have brought that on yourselves and you will discover that soon enough as the blood of the commander and his companions—may Allah accept them—will not go wastefully, and the infidels will find out whom the hereafter is for.”

Leave a comment:

• GLHS837
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Could they have been using "Little Birds" operated by the 160th SOAR group?......dont they get used for lots of airborne ops within Special Ops command?

I'm sure that who was flying, they take all the Spec Ops guys to work. Those guys have some VERY cool toys. All the "Pave" birds are very cool machines.

Leave a comment:

• (S)Sgt Elmer
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    Could they have been using "Little Birds" operated by the 160th SOAR group?......dont they get used for lots of airborne ops within Special Ops command?
    They're the guys to call if you need to go somewhere, don't see why they wouldn't support the squids.

Fine work!

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GLHS837
    replied
    Sorry, guess I wasnt clear. I'm not trying to cast doubt on the story, was just explaining how it wasnt very clear as written. The story implied the helo did the shooting, but also said the SEALs conducted the raid. In my world, aircraft shoot people, or the crew of the aircraft does. SEALs dont pilot aircraft, nor crew them. I generally picture helos dropping of the SEALs to go do what they do,including shooting folks who need it. I had not thought of the SEALs sitting outside, and strafing as the helo flies by. Pretty freaking cool.

The Navy does deploy helos to move SEALS around, including other services helos as needed, but the Navy doesn't fly Little Birds. The TH-57 is limited to training and does do photochase for flight test here at Pax River. No spec ops for that bird. I know that photo isn't of SEALs, I just picked it becuase its the best shot of the "bleacher seats" on the Little Bird.

I do know about Navy/Marine helos, I worked for three years at RWATs, whats now HX-21,followed by eight years working in flight test, including many projects on every helo the DON operates, and in fact did some work on Pax Rivers TH-57s. Not a lot,since they don't have any ordnance, of course.
    Last edited by GLHS837; 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DAL
    replied
    Example of small Navy helicopter: http://www.navysite.de/planes/th57.htm

But who says that only Navy helicopters can take off and land on Navy ships? And why would the SEALs have to pilot them for a mission?

Leave a comment:

• Taylor13
    replied
    oh and thats Army Combat Uniform colors...

Leave a comment:

• Nightshift va
    replied
    Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
    Ya know, this story had me puzzled at first. SEALs dont fly aircraft, they really dont. And even if they did, the Navy doesnt stock these Little Bird helos. Hell, the Navy doesnt fly spec ops birds at all, thats mostly an Air Force deal. So,how the heck do we say that SEALS used a Little Bird to kill this guy?

Got to looking, and figured it out. This pic makes it quite clear, I think.

What are you talking about? The US Navy has been using helicopters onboard ships to deploy both marines and seals since before the Seals were even invented?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4448 users online. 283 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X