• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Seals Kill Wanted Terrorist in Somali Raid

FOXWIRE:

Monday, September 14, 2009
    Justin Fishel

Navy Seals from US Special Operations Forces conducted a raid in southern Somalia on Monday that killed Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan, one of 4 co-conspirators wanted in the 2002 bombing of an Israel owned hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, two senior U.S. military officials told Fox News.

Ten days ago President Obama signed the Execute Order for Nabhan, who since 2006 was on the FBI's list of most wanted terrorists. He was also wanted for the attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Kenya in 1998.

They called it operation Celestial Balance: at least two AH-6 Little Bird helicopters deployed from one of two U.S. Navy vessels near Somalia's coast strafed a vehicle Nabhan was using to go back and forth between meetings.

Intelligence operatives had been monitoring Sabhan prior to the attack. The helicopters passed once, firing on the vehicle, and then circled back around to retrieve the body so they could make a positive identification, according to an official.

The attack in Mombasa took place on Nov. 28, 2002 - involving a suicide bomber that blew up the lobby of the Israeli owned Paradise hotel. On the same day the attackers unsuccessfully attempted to shoot down an Israeli owned Boeing 757 civilian jetliner run by Arkia. They fired surface to air missiles and missed.

Nabhan's Somali group, Al- Shabaab, has links to Al Qaeda.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Bravo Zulu!
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Great job!...I love reading these types of stories...
      sigpic

Comment

I love a story with a happy ending.

Comment

Yay Squids!

When does the outrage over the "assasination" begin?

I seem to remember the suggestion of the Bush administration researching the possibility of assasination generating a great deal of crap a few months back?

M-11
          “All men dream...... But not equally..
          Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
          but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
          for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
            Yay Squids!

I seem to remember the suggestion of the Bush administration researching the possibility of assasination generating a great deal of crap a few months back?

M-11
            Give it time....

The hard-core Libs will try to blame Blackwater for taking this POS out.....

Comment

I'm sure Obama will call them racists during his next news conference. And they won't get an invite for beer.
              "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                Yay Squids!

M-11
                I was thinking the same thing...If some people are tripping over terrorist getting a bucket of water poured over their face I can only imagine how upset they are over SEALs (or any US (or allie) forces) putting a few slugs in one of these POS...

Im sure the liars that mislead congress *according to Nancy Pelosi* had a hand in this...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FNA209 View Post
                  I'm sure Obama will call them racists during his next news conference. And they won't get an invite for beer.
                  Congressional opposition will be muted because Obama himself signed the Execute Order.

Comment

Looks like his promise to end the policy of pre-emption is not holding up too well.

Good. Keep killing them.

Comment

Ya know, this story had me puzzled at first. SEALs dont fly aircraft, they really dont. And even if they did, the Navy doesnt stock these Little Bird helos. Hell, the Navy doesnt fly spec ops birds at all, thats mostly an Air Force deal. So,how the heck do we say that SEALS used a Little Bird to kill this guy?

Got to looking, and figured it out. This pic makes it quite clear, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by GLHS837 View Post
                        Ya know, this story had me puzzled at first. SEALs dont fly aircraft, they really dont. And even if they did, the Navy doesnt stock these Little Bird helos. Hell, the Navy doesnt fly spec ops birds at all, thats mostly an Air Force deal. So,how the heck do we say that SEALS used a Little Bird to kill this guy?

Got to looking, and figured it out. This pic makes it quite clear, I think.

What are you talking about? The US Navy has been using helicopters onboard ships to deploy both marines and seals since before the Seals were even invented?
                        "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

oh and thats Army Combat Uniform colors...

Comment

Example of small Navy helicopter: http://www.navysite.de/planes/th57.htm

But who says that only Navy helicopters can take off and land on Navy ships? And why would the SEALs have to pilot them for a mission?

Comment

Sorry, guess I wasnt clear. I'm not trying to cast doubt on the story, was just explaining how it wasnt very clear as written. The story implied the helo did the shooting, but also said the SEALs conducted the raid. In my world, aircraft shoot people, or the crew of the aircraft does. SEALs dont pilot aircraft, nor crew them. I generally picture helos dropping of the SEALs to go do what they do,including shooting folks who need it. I had not thought of the SEALs sitting outside, and strafing as the helo flies by. Pretty freaking cool.

The Navy does deploy helos to move SEALS around, including other services helos as needed, but the Navy doesn't fly Little Birds. The TH-57 is limited to training and does do photochase for flight test here at Pax River. No spec ops for that bird. I know that photo isn't of SEALs, I just picked it becuase its the best shot of the "bleacher seats" on the Little Bird.

I do know about Navy/Marine helos, I worked for three years at RWATs, whats now HX-21,followed by eight years working in flight test, including many projects on every helo the DON operates, and in fact did some work on Pax Rivers TH-57s. Not a lot,since they don't have any ordnance, of course.
                              Last edited by GLHS837; 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3190 users online. 180 members and 3010 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X