300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 alert fighters

I have a question maybe some ex airforce guys can explain this thinking to us all. I am just curious after all as to why The US airforce feels defending the homeland is the job of only 14 fighters. That's 14 for the entire nation. Go ahaead tell us all about the why of on 9-11-01 the reason the US airforce could only send 2 old f-15's from cape cod to defend the airspace over NYC is because that's all they had.. oh wait let's not forget the 2 f 16 from Virginia. I bet the people of the east coast rest easy knowing that 4 alert fighters is all the US airforce has. I would imagine that the Police officers and Firefighters families that died that day would be saddened to know that when they needed them the most all the US airforce could put in the air was 2 old f'15's and that when they needed to run combat air patrol over NYC after 9-11 they needed a carrier from The us navy to do the role cas the airforce just could not accomplish the task. It's also curious as to how our Illustrious senators from NY keep their mouth shut because they can't talk about classified reports. Fact is Schumer and clinton and obama are cowards as is their counterparts both political parties in the USA are a disgrace. It is just sad more people do not know this stuff. How do you all feel knowing Canada has a better air defense then the USA does. 14 planes ohh and wait some of those are being replaced with unmaned drones... now thats just brillant. A robot to defend the nation...

Take a deep breath. And another. Good. Feel better?

The situation on 9/11 arose because there was not a major threat for an aerial attack before that time. And by that I mean from a nation state. Back when the Soviet bear was in business big time, there were many, many squadrons dedicated to the purpose.

9/11 was something new that the setup was not totally ready for. However, I caution you to not believe that there are only 14 on alert - the precise numbers wouldn't be something I think the AF wants to keep common knowledge. Could be more, could be less.

Finally, onto your "old" F15 stuff. Frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. Any model F15 is one of the finest fighter aircraft in the world, no matter what age it is. ANG and AF Reserve pilots are trained to the same standards as their active-duty counterparts, so no worries there.

And Canada. Canada and the US have always cooperated on air defense, primarily since the major historical threat would most likely penetrate Canadian airspace first, to get to us. Plus they are excellent allies so we'd work together anyhow.

And don't get caught up on numbers - our pilots are trained very, very well, and their equipment is the best there is. 2 F-22's (some of which are likely on alert now) are easily worth 8 of Canada's CF-18A's. It's a MUCH better jet. The F-15 is more capable than the CF-18 as well. So is the F-16, though not as much. So yeah, there might be fewer American fighters up there, but they're the best money can buy. I personally don't think there are fewer than the Canadians have - simply because their armed forces are much smaller than ours.

And there's nothing at all wrong with the Navy helping the Air Force out. In fact, they'd be mad if the AF tried to kick them out of it. The Navy's planes and pilots are here, they are extremely capable and effective so why wouldn't the Navy be helping out? There's enough airspace for everyone.
    For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back.

Comment

Just to let you know, those "robots" called Predators are controlled by a USAF guy on the ground, they are COMPLETELY controlled, they have cameras that can see stuff you couldn't imagine at their height, they also carry a missile or two, the Predator is GREAT.

Comment

The predator is also not an aerial combat vehicle, as far as I know. UAV's aren't to that point, though they will be.
        For every one hundred men you send us,
        Ten should not even be here.
        Eighty are nothing but targets.
        Nine of them are real fighters;
        We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
        Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
        And he will bring the others back.

Comment

That's not entirely true Taylor. A lot of times they're piloted by a guy on the ground at take off, it gets to a waypoint and the GPS navigation takes over and flies it (on autopilot) into the target box, where a human then takes over.

That's most of the time, not ALL the time.

As far as the exact number of alert fighters... well, if the military teaches us one number of FPS our M16 fires at and then publishes something else for the masses.. I'm certain they keep the real number of alert fighters a bit more secret...
          “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by justhomp View Post
            That's not entirely true Taylor. A lot of times they're piloted by a guy on the ground at take off, it gets to a waypoint and the GPS navigation takes over and flies it (on autopilot) into the target box, where a human then takes over.

That's most of the time, not ALL the time.

As far as the exact number of alert fighters... well, if the military teaches us one number of FPS our M16 fires at and then publishes something else for the masses.. I'm certain they keep the real number of alert fighters a bit more secret...
            Oh, I never heard anything about autopilot.. excuse me.

Comment

what are you crying about now?
              "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Originally posted by exdrip View Post
                what are you crying about now?
                I think S(Sgt) Elmer will tell you in his way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3148 users online. 189 members and 2959 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X