300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politician of the Week: Gov of Montana, Brian Schweitzer

It still comes down to the 10th Amendment, folks; states rights vs. Fed's rights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

National ID

The Governor of Montana, Brian Schweitzer should receive a freedom’s hero award. This one man stood up to the Homeland Security Department’s juggernaut that is determined to enslave us all with a national ID card. And he has scored a huge victory.

Governor Schweitzer wrote a letter to Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to inform him that the state of Montana has no intention of complying with the Real ID Act or to share his state’s residents’ data with the federal government, as it requires.

To the media, the Governor then asked questions you rarely hear from an elected official these days. He asked: “Do you want our government to have the ability to track where you went, how you went, how you got there and when you got home?”

He went on to say, “it would be naïve for someone to think this information will not be abused in the future. Virtually every decade these kinds of files have been used to violate people’s privacy.”

Schweitzer then issued a challenge to other governors to do the same thing. And many are joining him. Secretary Chertoff countered by saying states which are resisting Real ID need to “grow up.” He then threatened that any state not complying would find their citizens barred from boarding airplanes and essentially shut out of society, unable to get access to government services.

But as the states’ rebellion grew, Secretary Chertoff called Gov. Schweitzer and attempted to bully him into backing down.

In that phone conversation, as Chertoff repeated his threats that Montana residents would be banned from airplanes - or at least made subjects of severe scrutiny and pat-downs at airports - the Governor said to Chertoff, “how about we both go on 60 Minutes a few days after the DHS starts patting down Montana driver’s license-holders who are trying to get on the planes and both of us can tell our side of the story.”

Chertoff paused, then said, “I see the problem. We need to get this fixed.” Whereupon the Department of Homeland Security issued a waiver to the State of Montana extending its time to comply to Real ID. The governor didn’t want it, won’t accept it and still won’t comply. Instead, he said, “I stared down DHS and they blinked.”

Now, seven states have enacted binding legislation prohibiting participation in the Real ID program. And DHS sent each state a waiver, postponing required compliance until the end of 2009 or maybe later. Waivers they didn’t ask for or want.

Eleven more states have received waivers after informing DHS they are still weighing their options, but refused to commit to implementing Real ID. Several more states are now working on legislation to prohibit compliance.

The fact is, the May 11th deadline came and went with literally no state in compliance - and no pat-downs or refusals to board airplanes have been enforced.

It’s a rebellion in the states unprecedented since the Civil War. And the government doesn’t know what to do. It’s certainly not the end of the battle - but a huge victory for freedom, nonetheless. And they need the Real ID Act to enforce global governance.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/4213
    Last edited by Stormy; 08-05-2008, 06:12 PM.

Thats why I like to call myself a Schweitzer-Democrat

Comment

I am sorry, but I support a secure, national ID as a step toward identifying illegal immigrants and terrorists.

It's fine for states to refuse to comply. The federal government then should require that anyone who wants to travel by air or on a train or bus have a compliant ID. If his home state does not issue one, he can get a US passport.

Other states might also decline to recognize driver's licenses issue by states not in compliance.
      Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

So you would prefer if California DMV did no verification of the information presented by license applicants? You want to issue license to illegal immigrants, people with fake birth certificates, and under multiple names? We need more secure IDs, not less.
        Last edited by DAL; 08-09-2008, 10:11 PM.

Comment

You did say that you approve of Montana's refusal to make their IDs more secure. Schwarzenegger's veto of California's legislation that would have allowed illegal immigrants to get California driver's licenses was based in part on the Real ID act, and that decision was very popular. I do not see why you would think that allowing states to issue insecure IDs is a good thing; you have not explained your position.

Comment

Hmm... not sure about a national ID, but I do think there should be a national standard in DLs. Certain security features as well as only allowing US citizens and residents to be allowed to have DLs. Not illegals or people here for a short period of time...
            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by DAL View Post
              I am sorry, but I support a secure, national ID as a step toward identifying illegal immigrants and terrorists.

It's fine for states to refuse to comply. The federal government then should require that anyone who wants to travel by air or on a train or bus have a compliant ID. If his home state does not issue one, he can get a US passport.

Other states might also decline to recognize driver's licenses issue by states not in compliance.
              [bold highlite mine]

Do you plan on roadblocks across all intersections of every city in the US? Do you plan on slowing commerce with every roadblock? And, how does your plan differentiates between an illegal immigrant and a terrorist?

Your plan is nothing more than a blockage system designed to destroy the economy of the entire nation. We don't need more of these obstacles in the economy. Unless that is the intent?

Comment

So you would prefer if California DMV did no verification of the information presented by license applicants? You want to issue license to illegal immigrants, people with fake birth certificates, and under multiple names? We need more secure IDs, not less.
                I would prefer that only the vehicle be insured, as being the only document needed to operate a vehicle. We need less paperwork, and more freedom. But if the driver commits a crime with the vehilce, even a minor traffic violation, he goes directly to jail. He stays in jail until someone posts a bond on his behalf. No bond, no daylight. You'll see a change in drivers, and in driving conditions almost immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                  [bold highlite mine]

Do you plan on roadblocks across all intersections of every city in the US? Do you plan on slowing commerce with every roadblock? And, how does your plan differentiates between an illegal immigrant and a terrorist?

Your plan is nothing more than a blockage system designed to destroy the economy of the entire nation. We don't need more of these obstacles in the economy. Unless that is the intent?
                  No, and I have not proposed a plan. I have only said that people from states without secure IDs should not be allowed to fly or use trains, and that other states could consider driver's licenses from non-compliant states to be invalid. That could provide a ground for arrest when they are stopped for a traffic violation.

Terrorists and illegal immigrants both often use fake ID's, or ID's obtained through fraudulent documents. Why does a law that requires real ID have to distinguish between types of fake applications?

Comment

Don't you guys in Montana complain when it becomes a haven for illegal aliens.
                    The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Montana is too cold for illegal immigrants, unless they are Canadians.

Comment

Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
                        [bold highlite mine]

No, and I have not proposed a plan. I have only said that people from states without secure IDs should not be allowed to fly or use trains, and that other states could consider driver's licenses from non-compliant states to be invalid. That could provide a ground for arrest when they are stopped for a traffic violation.
                        Good. Let's close all state lines, and keep states rights intact. No reason to cross into another state. And, let's stop paying federal taxes while we're at it.
                        We don't need federal handouts. We'll manage on our own, thank you. Now, we'll really grind this economy into the ground.

Terrorists and illegal immigrants both often use fake ID's, or ID's obtained through fraudulent documents. Why does a law that requires real ID have to distinguish between types of fake applications?
                        It's funny. Really. We let 30 million illegals slip across the borders, and now, suddenly, we want to enforce National ID's.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6391 users online. 343 members and 6048 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X