Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor13
    replied
    Certainly not RP or osama oh I meant obama.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    Originally posted by Chit2001 View Post
    That's a tough one, Stormy....

Between the two presidential front-runners, I'm apt to say that John McCain would do a better job at dealing with fascist nations and their intent on harming (or even ruling) the US and the world.

From watching Obama the last few months, I tend to think he would "bargain" with them.... Instead of taking a JFK stance.... or even a Reagan stance on this issue, he would back down and allow them more slack than any other president in the past, but obviously I don't know.

Frankly, I'm terrified at either one of these guys leading my country and what they would do in a foreign policy crisis such as this. I'm willing to trust McCain over the kid, though.

Oh, and to anyone who is about to post "I don't see what the big deal is," you have no credibility with regards to this topic. If you can't see the threat of Russia combined with Cuba (when both have already had "friendly team-up against the big, bad US" meetings with Hugo Chavez), then you are blind to current events and have no place in debating foreign policy.

When Castro was quite ill, Chavez was right near his side. Indications were that Chavez would take over Cuba's political control. Raoul is not a leader in the charismatic ilk of Fidel or Chavez, and he knows this. Fidel has mentioned Chavez's name on numerous occassions in the press as a friend of Cuba. The public will welcome him with open arms. Once Chavez controls politics in Cuba, so goes South America. But, what do I know. This is above my pay grade.

Leave a comment:

• JTShooter
    replied
    Hmmm, I would be more concerned (as mentioned) with a Russia/Venzuela hook up.

As far as Cuba... they only hold a threat for a little while longer... once the Castro hold on the country passes, they'll flip over to democracy so fast it'll feel like it was over night..

Leave a comment:

• Chit2001
    replied
    That's a tough one, Stormy....

Between the two presidential front-runners, I'm apt to say that John McCain would do a better job at dealing with fascist nations and their intent on harming (or even ruling) the US and the world.

From watching Obama the last few months, I tend to think he would "bargain" with them.... Instead of taking a JFK stance.... or even a Reagan stance on this issue, he would back down and allow them more slack than any other president in the past, but obviously I don't know.

Frankly, I'm terrified at either one of these guys leading my country and what they would do in a foreign policy crisis such as this. I'm willing to trust McCain over the kid, though.

Oh, and to anyone who is about to post "I don't see what the big deal is," you have no credibility with regards to this topic. If you can't see the threat of Russia combined with Cuba (when both have already had "friendly team-up against the big, bad US" meetings with Hugo Chavez), then you are blind to current events and have no place in debating foreign policy.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    started a topic Russia, Cuba Set to Boost Ties

Russia, Cuba Set to Boost Ties

Now what?

Who will replace the brave actions of JFK in the 1961 stand-off?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Russia, Cuba set to boost ties

22:07 | 01/ 08/ 2008

MOSCOW, August 1 (RIA Novosti) - Russia and Cuba are to make efforts to boost bilateral cooperation in all spheres, the Russian Security Council said on Friday.

Council chief Nikolai Patrushev and Russian Deputy Prime Minister Igor Sechin visited Cuba on July 30-31, in a trip focusing on projects to revive economic ties between the former Cold War allies, including Russian companies' participation in developing oil fields in the Latin American state.

"[Cuban President] Raul Castro, Patrushev and Sechin said at a meeting that their countries' were set to make consistent efforts to restore longtime ties in all spheres of cooperation and to expand and strengthen them," the Security Council said in a statement.

Sechin earlier cited oil production, tourism, healthcare, nickel production, telecommunications and nanotechnology as the most promising spheres for cooperation between the two countries.

Russia issued a $355 million loan for the purchase of vehicles and the financing of energy infrastructure in Cuba in 2006, reviving ties that had been weakened by the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Havana also committed itself to buying three Il-96-300 planes and three Tu-204 passenger medium-haul aircraft.

The visit of Patrushev, who is also head of the Federal Security Service, and Sechin came after media reports said Russia could place an orbital ballistic missile system in Cuba in response to U.S. missile defense plans for Central Europe.

In October 1962, the Cuban Missile Crisis brought the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. to the brink of war when Soviet missiles were stationed in Cuba.

The crisis was resolved after 12 days when the Soviet leader, Nikita Khrushchev, backed down and ordered the missiles removed.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080801/115487270.html

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2905 users online. 116 members and 2789 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X