300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I Be Wrong? Say it Ain't So! - AMERICAN VALUES

Okay - Maybe I do have it all wrong. What are "American" values?
    Fundamental belief in a Supreme Being of compassion and justice
    7.79%
    Support (whether or not having served) of our military
    13.64%
    Family values such as fidelity, discipline, unity and honesty
    16.88%
    Community spirit and comraderie in times of trial
    12.34%
    Helping your neighbor or fellow man in need of your labor or time
    14.29%
    Charity to those in desparate need of sustanance
    11.69%
    Adherence to the law, the consitution AS WRITTEN
    11.69%
    Belief in changing and modifying the constituion by the courts
    1.95%
    Liberal beliefs - legal abortion,redistribution of wealth, more government, less individual choice
    1.95%
    The Beach Boys, cheeseburgers, guns and the 1957 Chevy Nomad
    7.79%
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Well, I'd say that it depends on who you ask.

Besides the fact that not all "American" values may be considered good, while others can.

In that I mean, that there's some things that many people both in our country and around the world, think of when they think of America, some of which are admirable and others are not.

For example, I think Americans value inginuity, bravery, pride, hard work, etc.

But at the same time, it seems we put too much account into making money at any cost, being overly-agressive concerning our interests and not caring what most of the other world thinks of our actions.

Comment

I'm voting for the Beach Boys.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Based on my observations the main American values seem to be materialism, consumerism, anti-intellectualism...superstision over reason...violence as entertianment...violence as the first problem solving tool...might makes right...borrow and spend, and save nothing...form over function...leisure before work...finger pointing instread of personal responsibility.

Thats not what it should be, but thats what it appears to be today.
        ...hunter of the shadows is rising...

Comment

Obviously American values vary from one person to another and everybody seems to think they are right. If your values help you and your family then they are the right values for you. We can go back and forth all day about who is right and who is wrong but in the end we will still be in the same place.

Comment

Appreciating what you have, being willing to work hard for more, and being willing to fight to keep it that way.

M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
              Okay - Maybe I do have it all wrong. What are "American" values?
              You have a gift for asking wise questions. Let's see how long before this thread gets sidetracked, like into religion...again?, like all the other questions you've asked/posted, and seldom got a decent answer.

Comment

I think alot of American values stem somewhat from how we were brought up as individuals from childhood. Although not entirely. I surely did not believe the same way as my parents did polictly and still don't (I still anger my Dad to this day regarding that) I think it also depends on what time era you were from. I think alot of the 70 and 80s generation were more geared toward the old American values. After it was more about change and being polictically correct. Not that all change is bad. I think for the most part we all, no matter what time era we were from still have pride in our country and helping our fellow man or woman, lol! I think it showed during the tragedy of 911.
                "Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.-On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
                (From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

Comment

Originally posted by M-11 View Post
                  Appreciating what you have, being willing to work hard for more, and being willing to fight to keep it that way.

M-11
                  It'd be nice if you can expand your statement; 'appreciate what you have'.....what is it we have?; 'willing to work hard for more'.......of what?; '..willing to fight to keep it that way'....what way?

No attack here. Just think you might be on the right track, but need more coal in the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by crimijuswoman View Post
                    I think alot of American values stem somewhat from how we were brought up as individuals from childhood. Although not entirely. I surely did not believe the same way as my parents did polictly and still don't (I still anger my Dad to this day regarding that) I think it also depends on what time era you were from. I think alot of the 70 and 80s generation were more geared toward the old American values.
                    [bold highlite mine]
                    And what were they?
                    After it was more about change and being polictically correct. Not that all change is bad. I think for the most part we all, no matter what time era we were from still have pride in our country and helping our fellow man or woman, lol! I think it showed during the tragedy of 911.
                    [bold highlite mine]

Please expand your statement; what change are you talking about? How does 'politically correct' affect American values? What showed 'during the tragedy of 9/11?

No attack here. Just need you to clarify your statement.

Comment

Clarify a little.

well once again, only what I was brought up in and most of my friends were equally brought up to believe that we respect our country and all who have and continue to fight for our flag. Slowly, and only in my opinion, in the late 80's it seemed that we began to question what our country did and stood for. It appeared at least to me that we started becoming more sensitive. Alot of the older generation, like from my grandfather's generation disagreed, thought this is what has hurt America overall. Sorry, I probably didn't help clear it up that much, hard to explain.
                      "Understand that there is nothing morally superior about being a sheepdog; it is just what you choose to be.But if you want to be a sheepdog and walk the warrior’s path, then you must make a conscious and moral decision every day to dedicate, equip and prepare yourself to thrive in that toxic, corrosive moment when the wolf comes knocking at the door.-On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs
                      (From the book, On Combat, by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

Comment

It'd be nice if you can expand your statement; 'appreciate what you have'.....what is it we have?; 'willing to work hard for more'.......of what?; '..willing to fight to keep it that way'....what way?

No attack here. Just think you might be on the right track, but need more coal in the engine.
                        The statement is intentionally broad.

Appreciate what you have means different things to people. While it might mean being content in life, it can also mean you have the ability to still see the positive even in hard times. This is a useful trait to have in a Republic guided by the votes of millions. That many opinons can't always go your way, so recognize how good you have it.

Working hard for more means no matter what your social/Economic status, there is a good chance you can do better if you try. This is a cornerstone factor of the American Economy, and the true beauty of it is that if you choose not to step up and better yourself in the pursuit of advancement, someone else will. If you have ever worked in Corporate America or filed for a Patent you know what I mean.

Willing to fight to keep it that way...That's easy. The first two values I named are moot if someone comes to take what you've got, or try to keep you from what you want. This is applicable in every circumstance from vying for promotion to War on an international scale.

America, for all it's problems, is a great place to live. This is one of the only places on earth where those who live in poverty have a pretty good chance of being obese. Most of the things we disagree about and argue over are completely overshadowed by the fact we all have it pretty good. Most of the people that fight about politics here can only do it because they have a TV and the Internet in their homes. If this is the case, we're not doing too bad.

Most folks just have the overwhelming desire to argue with people.

M-11
                        “All men dream...... But not equally..
                        Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                        but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                        for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

From your poll choices, I'd say you have it completely wrong. Not that I am surprised, just sad...

Comment

I don't label myself as a liberal or conservative, but I wonder about calling bigger government and less individual freedom a "liberal" value. The federal deficit just hit a record high under our current "conservative" administration. So much for conservatives not liking big government. Also,the "family values" type conservatives most certainly do not fvor more individual rights....

Comment

Keeping to yourself, and driving like an *******.
                              When talking to a fool, be sure he isn't doing the same.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3166 users online. 191 members and 2975 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X