300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong about Iraq

Just to stop the howls of the ignorant about "liberal media" I will put the author's bios here first.

Navy Commander Philip Kapusta is currently serving as chief of strategic plans at Special Operations Command Central, in Tampa. Marine Captain Donovan Campbell recently returned from his third combat deployment. His book, "Joker One," will be published by Random House in March. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of Defense or the US government.

Containing Radical Islam
    Last edited by cmr164; 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM. Reason: Put the link

I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it! Let's do it!
    Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Dr. Peter Venkman
      Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

That article was enlightening.
        -I don't feel you honor someone by creating a physical gesture (the salute). You honor them by holding them in memory and, in law enforcement, proceeding in vigilant, ethical police work. You honor this country or deceased soldiers or whatever you're honoring when you salute a flag by thinking, feeling, and continuing a life of freedom.

--ArkansasRed24

Comment

Its not the same. The Soviet Union was not suicidal. They tell us what they are going to do once they obtain the weapons they want. Containment will not stop them from aquiring the weapons or using them.
          The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

Originally posted by tony.o View Post
            Its not the same. The Soviet Union was not suicidal. They tell us what they are going to do once they obtain the weapons they want. Containment will not stop them from aquiring the weapons or using them.
            MAD worked against the Soviets and is working with Pakistan and India. With Iran, a little different situation. The whole theory of Martyrdom wasnt a factor in those cases.
            "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
            --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by cmr164 View Post
              Just to stop the howls of the ignorant about "liberal media" I will put the author's bios here first.

Navy Commander Philip Kapusta is currently serving as chief of strategic plans at Special Operations Command Central, in Tampa. Marine Captain Donovan Campbell recently returned from his third combat deployment. His book, "Joker One," will be published by Random House in March. The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not reflect the official policy or position of the Department of Defense or the US government.

Containing Radical Islam
              [bold highlite mine]

Interesting name; translated into Russian = cabbage. Not implying he is one, just humorous.

Comment

I concur with the article's assertion that what we've been doing isn't working. The author and I part company when he says "We should build a virtual wall of stable, moderate nations on the periphery of that arc..." That's the kind of happy horse**** that got us into Iraq in the first place.

"Nation building" doesn't work. The British assembled Iraq out of fragments of the Ottoman Empire. The made it in their own image, a consitutional monarchy. Now, we're trying to assemble a federal republic from the fragments of that failed experiment.

While comparisons to 1949 and containment of communism have some relevence, the differences are more important than the similarities. The Cold War was fought against nation-states. Radical Islam is stateless.

This is a sitution where we can do very little to make things better and much to make things worse.

Time to go home. There's work to do here.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
                  I concur with the article's assertion that what we've been doing isn't working. The author and I part company when he says "We should build a virtual wall of stable, moderate nations on the periphery of that arc..." That's the kind of happy horse**** that got us into Iraq in the first place.

"Nation building" doesn't work. The British assembled Iraq out of fragments of the Ottoman Empire. The made it in their own image, a consitutional monarchy. Now, we're trying to assemble a federal republic from the fragments of that failed experiment.

While comparisons to 1949 and containment of communism have some relevence, the differences are more important than the similarities. The Cold War was fought against nation-states. Radical Islam is stateless.

This is a sitution where we can do very little to make things better and much to make things worse.

Great post! Great insight! Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post

I agree as well. Only we should leave when the government is as stable as possible. We touched it last, right or wrong, and we should leave it as strong and stable as possible. The real challenge is knowing when that point is reached. Thank gawd I'm only a sgt.

Comment

Originally posted by vacop4274 View Post
                      Dr. Peter Venkman
                      Yes, well done!
                      Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
                        MAD worked against the Soviets and is working with Pakistan and India. With Iran, a little different situation. The whole theory of Martyrdom wasnt a factor in those cases.
                        Pakistan will be a problem once Musharaff is gone. Even he was hostile to the US prior to 911, before we made threats against them if they failed to cooperate with our entry into Afghanistan over their territory. I remember when Clinton did one of his whimpy Tomohawk missle strikes, on that empty training camp in Afganistan, one of cruise missles failed, went down in Pakistan and Musharaff sent it to China so they could reverse engineer it.
                        The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5999 users online. 346 members and 5653 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X