300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *insert public apology here*

I'm sorry Elemental...I'm going through a tough time right now and taking it out on people. I'm sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by crowbar View Post
      Please say you do not have children.

"The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments."

Benjamin Rush
      Signer of the Declaration of Independence Essays, 1806
      Yes, and for that reason I do get annoyed by the ones at school who say that they will not say the pledge because it has the word god in it. So WHAT? It is the pledge to the USA? And I surely am more annoyed of the lawsuits and outcry of people being "offended" by celebrating Christmas because "we don't all celebrate this Christian holiday!!" So what you don't celebrate it? You don't like it, this is how the general public likes it, if you really don't want to "deal" with it, then there are plenty of other places you can go where Christmas is not celebrated.

I think it is reasonable enough to respect those things and be a patriotic American, I don't think it is necessary to be a believer.

Comment

• I find it truly amazing that there are people in this society that benefit fully from all that it has to offer, and yet criticize and condemn the country that provides those benefits. While one can argue some of these points, it is not a far stretch to claim we live in the most powerful, most influential and most free society in the world. Our citizens enjoy more rights and freedoms than virtually any country in the world. And yet despite those rights and freedoms, there are those who feel they are being oppressed or that they aren’t getting their fair share.
        I saw an interesting cartoon in yesterdays newspaper. It showed two cavemen holding large clubs, and they opted to declare peace and symbolize this by throwing their clubs off a tall cliff. The last panel showed two dinosaurs hiding behind a large boulder, with one saying “Now’s our opportunity.” I may not have the exact details correct, but the hidden meaning of this should be clear even to a blind man. As soon as we lay down our arms, somebody is going to take advantage of that opportunity. No country has ever benefitted from not having a strong military. It is absolutely necessary that a society have the ability to defend itself from those that would seek to do it harm. I’ve heard statements about the military being a “necessary evil”. These idiots are at least half right, our military is “necessary”. But our military is not evil. Quite the opposite, in fact. Our military are the righteous defenders of our liberties, protecting us from the evil tyrants and oppressors who would prefer nothing more than to see every American man, woman and child either dead or enslaved.
        Someone on here posted that they believe our military brainwashes our nations youth, essentially turning them into heartless and mindless killing machines. Unfortunately, that same person has obviously not benefitted from having their eyes opened to the truth about the world we live in. This is what boot camp does for our recruits. Yes, we teach them how to kill, for that will always be a reality of war. We prepare them for war to keep them from dying. Yes, they lose their “innocence”. We all lose our innocence eventually. It’s called growing up!
        So what is going to “save our country?” Many things are going to be required. We must come to a common mindset, wherein we all agree on the major issues. Should we go to war with this country to overthrow an oppressive regime? Should we send aid to this country that was just stricken by flood? Should we force an embargo against that country for pursuing a nuclear program that could result in weapons development? We need to erase our communication barriers by coming to an agreement on a common language. At this point, I don’t give a rats *** what language it is, but we need to all speak the same one. We need to be proud of the country we are citizens of, and wave that country’s flag. We need to stop asking for government handouts, and start working and educating ourselves. We need to learn how to be polite to people again. We need to get rid of bipartisan politics, and elect our officials based on their statements and actions, not their political party. We need to more harshly punish our criminals and make them start paying back the victims, as well as paying for their taxpayer funded medical care and education. We need to stop being victims and learn that sometimes bad things do happen to good people, so tighten your belt and carry on. We need to quit judging people based on race or gender.
        We need to do more for the members of our armed forces for the sacrifice they have made so that we can all have the rights and liberties we now enjoy, allowing us to live in freedom and without fear.
        Last edited by Original Sin; 07-31-2008, 05:37 AM.
        Shhh...my common sense is tingling!

The beer is more important than you right now.

Comment

• SARKIS, I always find it funny when people say they do not believe in Christmas, but are the first ones out the door for the long break. If you do not believe in Christ than you should work on Christmas, no holiday pay.
          Pro Deo et Patria

Comment

• Originally posted by Original Sin View Post
            I find it truly amazing that there are people in this society that benefit fully from all that it has to offer, and yet criticize and condemn the country that provides those benefits. While one can argue some of these points, it is not a far stretch to claim we live in the most powerful, most influential and most free society in the world. Our citizens enjoy more rights and freedoms than virtually any country in the world. And yet despite those rights and freedoms, there are those who feel they are being oppressed or that they aren’t getting their fair share.
            I saw an interesting cartoon in yesterdays newspaper. It showed two cavemen holding large clubs, and they opted to declare peace and symbolize this by throwing their clubs off a tall cliff. The last panel showed two dinosaurs hiding behind a large boulder, with one saying “Now’s our opportunity.” I may not have the exact details correct, but the hidden meaning of this should be clear even to a blind man. As soon as we lay down our arms, somebody is going to take advantage of that opportunity. No country has ever benefitted from not having a strong military. It is absolutely necessary that a society have the ability to defend itself from those that would seek to do it harm. I’ve heard statements about the military being a “necessary evil”. These idiots are at least half right, our military is “necessary”. But our military is not evil. Quite the opposite, in fact. Our military are the righteous defenders of our liberties, protecting us from the evil tyrants and oppressors who would prefer nothing more than to see every American man, woman and child either dead or enslaved.
            Someone on here posted that they believe our military brainwashes our nations youth, essentially turning them into heartless and mindless killing machines. Unfortunately, that same person has obviously not benefitted from having their eyes opened to the truth about the world we live in. This is what boot camp does for our recruits. Yes, we teach them how to kill, for that will always be a requirement of war. We prepare them for war to keep them from dying. Yes, they lose their “innocence”. We all lose our innocence eventually. It’s called growing up!
            So what is going to “save our country?” Many things are going to be required. We must come to a common mindset, wherein we all agree on the major issues. Should we go to war with this country to overthrow an oppressive regime? Should we send aid to this country that was just stricken by flood? Should we force an embargo against that country for pursuing a nuclear program that could result in weapons development? We need to erase our communication barriers by coming to an agreement on a common language. At this point, I don’t give a rats *** what language it is, but we need to all speak the same one. We need to be proud of the country we are citizens of, and wave that country’s flag. We need to stop asking for government handouts, and start working and educating ourselves. We need to learn how to be polite to people again. We need to get rid of bipartisan politics, and elect our officials based on their statements and actions, not their political party. We need to more harshly punish our criminals and make them start paying back the victims, as well as paying for their taxpayer funded medical care and education. We need to stop being victims and learn that sometimes bad things do happen to good people, so tighten your belt and carry on. We need to quit judging people based on race or gender.
            We need to do more for the members of our armed forces for the sacrifice they have made so that we can all have the rights and liberties we now enjoy, allowing us to live in freedom and without fear.
            You sir, are one of my favorite peoples! +1+1+1
            "Only by acceptance of the past can you alter it."
            – T.S. Eliot

Comment

• Original Sin,

This is referring to the end of your long paragraph.

I was in another country and I had a conversation that went something like this:

John Doe: Is it true people in the military in America get paid?

Me: Yes.

John Doe: I honestly don't know, probably start off with like a stipend of 1000 a month.

John Doe: Wow, that is awesome!

Me: I think they are one of the most underpaid people in the U.S. considering what they do.

(Keep in mind, COL where John Doe was at was not much less than the median COL in the U.S.).

Comment

• SARKIS, I always find it funny when people say they do not believe in Christmas, but are the first ones out the door for the long break. If you do not believe in Christ than you should work on Christmas, no holiday pay.
                Before Christmas was stolen from the Pagan people and bastardized, it was "Yule". Forgive me if some of us still feel we have a right to have the holiday as it originally was.

Comment

• Many people believe that the Constitution and Separation of Church and State means that our government cannot have anything to do with religion, and that all statements about God should be removed from anything having to do with government.
                  I admit that I don't know a whole lot about the exacts of how our country was founded, but here's my take.... The colonists that founded our nation were fleeing from religious persecution so that they could be free to worship the Christian God in the manner that they believed. Christianity played a major role in the forming of our nation, and it was never the intention of the Founding Fathers that Christianity not play a similar role in government and the lives of the American citizens.
                  So we have "In God We Trust" on our money, and the Pledge of Allegiance states "One Nation, under God", and a government building has the Ten Commandments in its lobby. Our President takes the Oath of Office on a Holy Bible. Can anyone who argues against these things honestly show where they cause any harm? You can claim that you don't want your children to be influenced by any religious doctrines. But wouldn't you prefer that your children be exposed to as much philosophy as possible and allow them to make their own opinions? Isn't part of your responsibility as a parent to educate your child to ALL that they are likely to be exposed to in the real world?!

I have never claimed to be a deeply religious person, actually more of an Agnostic. Yet the Christian values that are the basis our country are beyond doubt the best one can hope for. Only the truly delusional would fail to see this.

Comment

• Well....

Originally posted by Original Sin View Post
                    I find it truly amazing that there are people in this society that benefit fully from all that it has to offer, and yet criticize and condemn the country that provides those benefits. While one can argue some of these points, it is not a far stretch to claim we live in the most powerful, most influential and most free society in the world. Our citizens enjoy more rights and freedoms than virtually any country in the world. And yet despite those rights and freedoms, there are those who feel they are being oppressed or that they aren’t getting their fair share.
                    Someone on here posted that they believe our military brainwashes our nations youth, essentially turning them into heartless and mindless killing machines. Unfortunately, that same person has obviously not benefitted from having their eyes opened to the truth about the world we live in. This is what boot camp does for our recruits. Yes, we teach them how to kill, for that will always be a reality of war. We prepare them for war to keep them from dying. Yes, they lose their “innocence”. We all lose our innocence eventually. It’s called growing up!
                    -You sir, have won the internet.
                    They will all look up to me and shout, "Save us!", and I will whisper back... "No."

LAW is not JUSTICE

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight_v View Post
                      -You sir, have won the internet.
                      +1
                      – T.S. Eliot

Comment

• I'm going to play devil's advocate here, what if this person is a Buddhist (or any other religion), his ancestors immigrated here generations ago, this person chooses not to believe in the Judeo-Christian god, can he be a patriotic American?
                        Last edited by Sarkis; 07-31-2008, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarkis View Post
                          I'm going to play devil's advocate here, what if this person is a Buddhist (or any other religion), his ancestors immigrated here generations ago, this person chooses not to believe in the Judeo-Christian god, can he not be a patriotic American?
                          The post didn't say you had to be a Christian to be a patriotic American, just that it should be given due respect as it is the foundation our country was built on.
                          – T.S. Eliot

Comment

• That is true, but the discussion has slightly veered off to a religion discussion and we are talking about the god that the founding fathers had in mind when they found this country, which was what was given as the defense to why it is necessary to believe in god to be patriotic.

Comment

• A persons chosen religion really isn't about being patriotic. They're not the same thing. The only thing I care about regarding what religion you choose to follow is this: Does your religion express that you do harm to others? If so, we could become enemies at some time, simply based on that fact alone.

Imagine there is a country that lives a Utopian lifestyle. They are close to a cure for cancer/HIV/etc. Men and women are treated equally. The color of ones skin means nothing. People work together to provide for the common good of all, even outside of their society. Yet they are all atheists. There are religions that dictate that these people are infidels and should be slain and their society destroyed. That is a religion I will fight against.

Comment

• I was refering strictly to the post of the agnostic that still respects the Christian values of the country he served/s

you're almost 10 feet tall now OS
                                – T.S. Eliot

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4456 users online. 276 members and 4180 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X