Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you never yell "Cover me!" to Marines

LA Riots of '92:

“Police and Marines were responding to a disturbance, which turned out to be a domestic dispute, when two shotgun rounds were fired through the door. One of the police officers shouted, ‘Cover me,’ meaning that the Marines should have their weapons ready to respond if necessary. But the Marines, understanding ‘cover me’ to mean providing cover by using firepower, shot off what was later estimated to have been more than 200 rounds.”

Mission of Marine Corps Infantry Squad:

Locate, close with, and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemy's assault by fire and close combat.
    Last edited by GrndPnd0311; 07-22-2008, 02:10 PM.
    "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by farewelltonavy
    Again, goes to prove that Muscles Are Required Intelligence...

I'm kidding, I find the above example interesting as to how police and military work differently.
    Yea yea...best pull that nose up out of that dive Squid! J/K...I didnt even know Marines were used in the LA riots until a few weeks ago.
    "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I thought the Nat'l guard was called out and not Marines..

Comment

Man, they don't teach you anything about Marine history in bootcamp do they ? haha

Let me confess that I was until 3 years ago a Marine wannabe so I had looked a lot of stuff about Marines. My favorite were the quotes. So I read somewhere if you're a marine and get pulled over in LA, tell them we saved your @ss in '92 to get out of a ticket.
        Which sparked my interest because military was used to help police force, which is kind of unusual for our day and age.

Did you watch episode 2 of Gen. Kill by the way? It keeps getting better and better.
        Not yet. Have it waiting at home though!

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

farewelltonavy, I don't have HBO, but I wanted to see that SO BAD. I saw commercials for that, and I'm like this is my kind of show, then I look at what channel it's on and I got mad

Comment

You can watch it on dvd when it comes out probably.
            YES

Comment

Did you watch episode 2 of Gen. Kill by the way? It keeps getting better and better.
              Had my fiancee DVR them. Just got done watching the first two about 20 minutes ago.

A bit different than the book.... but still good.

Honestly, *SO FAR*, I really like it. Much of it goes hand-in-hand with what I've been told by those who were there. There are a few inaccuracies and some hollywoodization (which I wish they'd keep the hell out), but again, *so far* it's good (that could change, though... once they have everyone drawn into it).

Hope it stays just as good!
              1*

Comment

This actually happened more than once during the '92 riots.....

It was enough of an issue that they did some briefing sessions about it......

Fun times
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
                  Yea yea...best pull that nose up out of that dive Squid! J/K...:
                  Easy with the squid jarhead!!!!!! There was a show a few years back which pitted civilian SWAT against military spec ops.....care to guess who won?

It also highlighted the different engagement rules. The military guys had a hard time because most of the engagements were really designed with civilian rules in place.
                  A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by farewelltonavy View Post
                    Again, goes to prove that Muscles Are Required Intelligence...

I'm kidding, I find the above example interesting as to how police and military work differently.
                    Originally posted by GrndPnd0311 View Post
                    Yea yea...best pull that nose up out of that dive Squid! J/K...I didnt even know Marines were used in the LA riots until a few weeks ago.
                    Police and military? Whatever happened to the Posse Comittatus Act?

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
                      Police and military? Whatever happened to the Posse Comittatus Act?
                      I don't want to do the research on this, but maybe under extraordinary circumstances was waived ?
                      waived....oh yeah, I forgot!

Comment

My research has shown that at first the CA ARNG was called in and due to the size of the problem, a state of emergency was declared and military forces were federalized and a small amount of Marines and active duty Army were sent in to augment the CA ARNG and police.
                        “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Damn ray, you were in the navy too? or just looking out for me ? :P
                          EW3, 1984-1991. Served on the USS Connolly DD979.
                          A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                            waived....oh yeah, I forgot!
                            Stormy,

Most of the troops were being used for additional security and as a 'show of force', not to to make arrests ect......

They did blow up more than a few people.....including several gang members who were stupid enough to flash weapons at some of the Marines......
                            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                              Stormy,

Most of the troops were being used for additional security and as a 'show of force', not to to make arrests ect......

They did blow up more than a few people.....including several gang members who were stupid enough to flash weapons at some of the Marines......
                              Gotcha.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4065 users online. 211 members and 3854 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X