Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy Carter (as reported by BBC)

Israel 'has 150 nuclear weapons'

Ex-US President Jimmy Carter has said Israel has at least 150 atomic weapons in its arsenal.

The Israelis have never confirmed they have nuclear weapons, but this has been widely assumed since a scientist leaked details in the 1980s.

Mr Carter made his comments on Israel's weapons at a press conference at the annual literary Hay Festival in Wales.

He also described Israeli treatment of Palestinians as "one of the greatest human rights crimes on earth".

Mr Carter gave the figure for the Israeli nuclear arsenal in response to a question on US policy on a possible nuclear-armed Iran, arguing that any country newly armed with atomic weapons faced overwhelming odds.

"The US has more than 12,000 nuclear weapons; the Soviet Union (sic) has about the same; Great Britain and France have several hundred, and Israel has 150 or more," he said.

"We have a phalanx of enormous capabilities, not only of weaponry but also of rockets to deliver every one of those missiles on a pinpoint accuracy target."

Most experts estimate that Israel has between 100 and 200 nuclear warheads, largely based on information leaked to the Sunday Times newspaper in the 1980s by Mordechai Vanunu, a former worker at the country's Dimona nuclear reactor.

The US, a key ally of Israel, has in general followed the country's policy of "nuclear ambiguity", neither confirming or denying the existence of its assumed arsenal.

However, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert included Israel among a list of nuclear states in comments in December 2006, a week after US Defence Secretary Robert Gates used a similar form of words during a Senate hearing.

Former Israeli military intelligence chief Aharon Zeevi-Farkash told Reuters news agency he considered Mr Carter's comments "irresponsible". "The problem is that there are those who can use these statements when it comes to discussing the international effort to prevent Iran getting nuclear weapons," he said.

'Imprisonment'

During the press briefing, Mr Carter expressed his support for Israel as a country, but criticised its domestic and foreign policy.

"One of the greatest human rights crimes on earth is the starvation and imprisonment of 1.6m Palestinians," he said.

The former US president cited statistics which he said showed the nutritional intake of some Palestinian children was below that of children in Sub-Saharan Africa, as well as saying the European position on Israel could be best described as "supine".

Mr Carter, awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, brokered the 1979 Egypt-Israel peace treaty, the first between Israel and an Arab state.

In April he controversially held talks in the Syrian capital Damascus with Khaled Meshaal, leader of the militant Palestinian movement Hamas.

The former US president's Carter Center was unavailable for further comment.

He still thinks the Soviet Union exists, nuff said...
    “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Originally posted by tpc View Post
      Israel 'has 150 nuclear weapons'

Ex-US President Jimmy Carter has said Israel has at least 150 atomic weapons in its arsenal.

The Israelis have never confirmed they have nuclear weapons, but this has been widely assumed since a scientist leaked details in the 1980s.

Mr Carter made his comments on Israel's weapons at a press conference at the annual literary Hay Festival in Wales.

He also described Israeli treatment of Palestinians as "one of the greatest human rights crimes on earth".

Mr Carter gave the figure for the Israeli nuclear arsenal in response to a question on US policy on a possible nuclear-armed Iran, arguing that any country newly armed with atomic weapons faced overwhelming odds.

"The US has more than 12,000 nuclear weapons; the Soviet Union (sic) has about the same; Great Britain and France have several hundred, and Israel has 150 or more," he said.

"We have a phalanx of enormous capabilities, not only of weaponry but also of rockets to deliver every one of those missiles on a pinpoint accuracy target."

Most experts estimate that Israel has between 100 and 200 nuclear warheads, largely based on information leaked to the Sunday Times newspaper in the 1980s by Mordechai Vanunu, a former worker at the country's Dimona nuclear reactor.

The US, a key ally of Israel, has in general followed the country's policy of "nuclear ambiguity", neither confirming or denying the existence of its assumed arsenal.

However, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert included Israel among a list of nuclear states in comments in December 2006, a week after US Defence Secretary Robert Gates used a similar form of words during a Senate hearing.

Former Israeli military intelligence chief Aharon Zeevi-Farkash told Reuters news agency he considered Mr Carter's comments "irresponsible". "The problem is that there are those who can use these statements when it comes to discussing the international effort to prevent Iran getting nuclear weapons," he said.

'Imprisonment'

During the press briefing, Mr Carter expressed his support for Israel as a country, but criticised its domestic and foreign policy.

"One of the greatest human rights crimes on earth is the starvation and imprisonment of 1.6m Palestinians," he said.

The former US president cited statistics which he said showed the nutritional intake of some Palestinian children was below that of children in Sub-Saharan Africa, as well as saying the European position on Israel could be best described as "supine".

Mr Carter, awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2002, brokered the 1979 Egypt-Israel peace treaty, the first between Israel and an Arab state.

In April he controversially held talks in the Syrian capital Damascus with Khaled Meshaal, leader of the militant Palestinian movement Hamas.

The former US president's Carter Center was unavailable for further comment.
      This guy is a loser and a moron. Why does he have such a hatred for Jews. Racism???? And, by the way, call me stupid, but I have a bigger problem with terrorists who kill women, children and old folk. Carter is a total tard.
      Space for rent .........

Comment

Good...Israel is our friend, besides they have been kicking their neighbor's butt's for years....

Comment

Gotta be the worst president in history. And, as if that wasn't enough, now he's the absolute worst FORMER president.

What a maroon.
          The All New
          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by scratched13 View Post
            This guy is a loser and a moron. Why does he have such a hatred for Jews. Racism???? And, by the way, call me stupid, but I have a bigger problem with terrorists who kill women, children and old folk. Carter is a total tard.
            Why don't you ask; 'Why do the Jews have such a hatred for Carter?' After all, he was our president. Don't we defend our own from foreigners?

I'll give you one story that comes to mind, and it may sum up why I made the above statement.

One night while sitting at a bar enjoying my Jack Daniels on the rocks, I met a Marine sitting across from me. Turns out he also was a Vietnam war veteran having served in the same years as I. We both acknowledged our war experiences, pooled our funds together, and commenced to drink the night away.

Towards the end of the evening I felt close enough with him to ask him a question that had me perplexed for years; what is 'Esprit de Corps'? "Look...we've been through the war, you with the Marines, me with the Army, we've done our share of fighting, we've seen the darkside of life. Tell me....what do you see different between the Marines and the Army?"

He looked at me....contemplated for awhile, and replied; "If you walked into this bar tonight and saw an Army guy getting his *** kicked in a fight, what would you do?"

I thougth for a moment and replied; 'I'd probably want to know why he was in the fight?"

"Ya see....that's the difference. A Marine wouldn't stop to question. He'd join the fight defending his brother Marine...regardless of whether he was right or wrong!"

I bought the next round.

And so, my friend, Jimmy Carter was 'our' president. He deserves our respect, rightly or wrongly. In my opinion, Israel is a foreign country, and is dissing my ex-president. That says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post

And so, my friend, Jimmy Carter was 'our' president. He deserves our respect, rightly or wrongly. In my opinion, Israel is a foreign country, and is dissing my ex-president. That says it all.
              F' Jimmy Carter.... He's a slimy treasonous POS.......and needs to be dealt with accordingly......

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                F' Jimmy Carter.... He's a slimy treasonous POS.......and needs to be dealt with accordingly......
                Gotta love this country; The freedom to speak your mind.

ps. Did you give your Vietnam Vet dad a hug from me?

Comment

ps. Did you give your Vietnam Vet dad a hug from me?
                  Nope...never saw him....he was playing Honor Guard somewhere....about 4 hours from where I am at.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                    Nope...never saw him....he was playing Honor Guard somewhere....about 4 hours from where I am at.....
                    Bearcat,

I dedicate this link to you, your dad, and the entire military/police family, on this forum, and throughout America, who've fought and died defending our right to speak our mind. Enjoy!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/

Comment

He deserVEDour respect WHILE he was president. I belive in that concept and have taken immeasurable heat for supporting Dubya in this light.

But Jimmy Carter is now about half-looney and a borderline traitor. In fact, I do believe I'll add him to my list.
                      The All New
                      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Speaking not as an American, but as a Canadian that wishes we were often the 52nd state, IMHO, Carter has no idea of what he is doing or talking about. And opening discussing Israel nukes just made the world a hell of a lot more dangerous.

Here is a snip it from Carter's buddies in Hamas..

The Hamas Charter

Article 13 - Peaceful Solutions, Initiatives and International Conferences:

"There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through Jihad. Initiatives, proposals and international conferences are all a waste of time and vain endeavors."

And he blames Israel for abusing human rights?

Give me a break.

Is he aware that there are parts of Israel that the are under rocket attack each and every day, and that beside the school bus stops. Once the rocket sirens go off, there is 17 seconds for children hide in the shelter built next to the bus stops.

Once Israel is gone, who does Carter think the next target will be? Canada? No, it will be the US.

He should not be using his status as a former president to intentionally or unintentionally to make the world less safe..

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb View Post
                          Speaking not as an American, but as a Canadian that wishes we were often the 52nd state
                          Who do you want to be the 51st?
                          LA DEP: Obvious case of suicide.....shot twice in the back of the head with a bolt action rifle....
                          CruiserClass: I took a nap today. It was such a great nap I felt the urge to share my nap with the officer.com world. It was that good of a nap.

That's it. Go check other threads were exciting topics are being discussed, this was seriously just about a really comforting and invigorating 35 minute nap. Move along, nothing else to see here, move along.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
                            He deserVEDour respect WHILE he was president. I belive in that concept and have taken immeasurable heat for supporting Dubya in this light.

But Jimmy Carter is now about half-looney and a borderline traitor. In fact, I do believe I'll add him to my list.
                            We may disagree on some other issues, but I'm right with you on this one.

Pete

Comment

Hamas is at war with Israel. How is Israel supposed to treat a people that constantly attack it and deny its right to exist?

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3886 users online. 172 members and 3714 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X