300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Laws and Police Firearms

I'm not a police officer, but I really want to become one. On that note, I was wondering how the gun laws of each state will affect police officers when getting their service weapons. In my home state, Maryland, there are some very tough gun control laws. Rifles need to be HBAR (heavy barrel) and magazines are limited to 10 rounds. A lot of brands and types of guns can't even be sold here. I find it hard to believe that police officers would limit themselves to this selection though when it comes to what they use on duty or as backup weapons.

So, are police officers allowed leeway with the laws when it comes to a duty AR-15 for example?
    Or are they simply given, through the department they work for, magazines with more than 10 rounds and AR-15s that are more common in the rest of the country?

It's just something I was thinking about as I was interested in buying a gun (as a non-LEO) and was wondering how gun laws affect police officers in the more gun-controlled states.

Thank you.

Police officers are generally exempted from those types of restrictions, at least as far as duty weapons go. Personally owned firearms would be subject to laws applicable to everyone else.

Comment

What he said.

Comment

Law enforcement agencies may purchase just about any type of firearm for official department use and ownership.

Individual officers with department head approval may purchase most firearms for individual ownership and official use in performing their duties, the primary exceptions being those firearms covered by the National Firearms Act of 1934 (machineguns, short-barreled rifles or shotguns, suppressors, destructive devices, etc). Again, with department head approval an individual officer may order just about any commonly available firearm and have it delivered directly to himself at the department's official address. Also, when doing an individual officer purchase for official duty use the usual 11% Federal Excise Tax on firearms and sporting goods is waived and deducted from the purchase price (a very pleasant benefit, for sure). Several manufacturers have active law enforcement sales divisions, serving both agency purchases and authorized individual purchases. In recent years Glock and Sig come to mind; in past decades Colt, S&W, and Ruger were also active in this arena.

In either case (department purchases or authorized individual purchases) there are seldom any arbitrary restrictions (magazine limits, flash suppressors, telescopic stocks, etc). For individual officer purchases the general restrictions of Gun Control Act 1968 will apply.

There may be (and probably are) some states that have more restrictive laws that are applied to individual officers, but department purchases are usually exempt (full auto, suppressors, and other types can be freely transferred to law enforcement agencies, BATFE registration is required but the transfer tax is not applied, and those weapons can never be converted to individual ownership).

Comment

Magazine limits / restrictions? Don't have to worry about that down here.

Comment

Originally posted by cecallah View Post
            In my home state, Maryland, there are some very tough gun control laws. Rifles need to be HBAR (heavy barrel)...
            Huh?

Maryland has many restrictions on center fire semiautomatic rifles, but I've never heard of any Maryland law requiring that rifle barrels be "heavy".

Please cite whatever law you're claiming says that...

Comment

• cecallah
              cecallah commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.marylandshallissue.org/j...-gun-bills-faq
              That's something that I found real quick, but there is a limited AR-15 selection available in the state of Maryland. I found out when going through the firearms safety course that you need to attend before getting a permit to purchase a hand gun, but really found out how bad it is when looking through this list that the Maryland State Police put up of what's banned:
              https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...armSearch.aspx

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              That's not a law. It's a bill.

And it does not say that "Rifles need to be HBAR (heavy barrel)".

If you want to become a cop, you're going to need better reading comprehension...

• Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              It also sounds like you don't understand Maryland's firearm magazine law(s).

• cecallah
              cecallah commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll admit it, I just posted the first link I found after a simple search on Google. It was the wrong link for the law I was talking about. Here is another link that will further explain the actual law that was passed in 2013. I will also admit that I've never actually looked through the law but simply took peoples word for what was said in it. With that being said I can tell you that I live in MD and the only AR-15s I've seen being sold here are HBAR.
              http://jclass.umd.edu/652352/2013fal...Law/index.html
              http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/ch...27_sb0281E.pdf

Also, the magazines sold here are 10 round magazines. They can sell you the full sized spring separately so that you can make your magazine into whatever you would like (i.e. 30 rounds for an AR-15). Or you can go to Pennsylvania or Virginia to buy magazines which I have done before.

You need to read and understand the law, instead of just going on what other random people told you, before you make statements like you made about the law.

Comment

I'll admit it, I just posted the first link I found after a simple search on Google.
              Why are you asking about gun laws you haven't actually read yourself?
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4419 users online. 282 members and 4137 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X