Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican candidate debate last night

Anyone else watch it?

I was pretty disgusted with some of the off-the-wall, ridiculous questions, but overall I found it interesting. I found it amazing that with ten candidates, everyone was still able to get in a few words.

Any thoughts on who got in the best sound bytes and came off looking presidential?

My take --

McCain was hilarious. He came off looking like a senile old man smirking with obvious pleasure at his own words and wagging his finger at the camera in an awkward, arthretic gesture several times. Looked like Geriatrics 'R Us to me, but .... Like I've said before, he is on his way out.

Guiliani seemed like he was on the defense the whole night. He really floundered when asked about the difference between "Sunni" and "Shia" Muslims and seemed to even confuse himself when he tried to explain his peculiar take on Roe v. Wade. He looked stooped, old, gray and balding. Not sure he'll go up against a young energetic Obama very well.

I thought Romney and Hunter got their best "bang for the buck" in the debate last night. Romney especially seemed eager to answer questions, articulated his views well, explained his background, and appeared to the be most "presidential" among the candidates. He seemed pretty charismatic. I thought Hunter explained his excellent credentials on immigration reform and defense spending in an easy to understand fashion as well.
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
    -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
    -- Hemingway

There is only one note from the debate that I took away from it. Im tired of the canidates pandoring to the religious right. Our government has nothing to do with religion. I am as religious as the next guy and I believe my religion is correct. However, I also believe that my religious beliefs shouldn't govern the next guy. I think the party would be a lot better off if they didn't feel the need to pandor.

With that said the democrates do the same thing to their base. I just wish we could get a canidate that is willing to stand up and say what he believes in and stay in the center from start to finish.

Your comments on Mccain were very interesting to me. I really feel he should have won over bush in 01. IF it wasn't for the dirty antics he would have .. But seeing how much he has ventured of his beliefs and the straight talk express was more of a lie I am not sure that would have been a good thing.

Comment

Okay, I just figured out why McCain's arm movements were so stiff and awkward: apparently his arms were pulled out of their sockets as torture during 'Nam. Well, that sucks. I have respect for him as a person and a veteran. That being said, I find his political positions seem to change with every breath of wind for no apparent reason. He honestly appears to be unstable. He is a loose cannon. I honestly can't line up with his positions on McCain-Fiengold and leaky immigration. He is strong on defense, however.

Yes, both parties pander to their respective bases. I guess that is the system.
      He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
      -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      -- Hemingway

Comment

Giuliani.. is a NO GO for me, McCaine, i just dont trust, Paul is a Whacko, Tancredo is a one-trick Pony (although Illegal Immigration IS a vital issue, its not the ONLY one), Romney..He's from Mass..Gun-grabber until proven otherwise..need i go on? the playig field sucks..if Fred Thompson doesnt run, mine is going to be a write in for "None of the Above is acceptable"

Comment

Gun grabber?

Why do you think Romney is a gun-grabber just because he's from Mass? It's my understanding that he is a 2d Amendment supporter. Can you provide information otherwise?

My choice is Romney or Thompson. Since Thompson hasn't declared, Romney is the guy to beat Hillary and Barrack!
          Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

McCain and Romney are good. I don't like Rudy though. He's a little too left for a republican for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Woofdog View Post
              Why do you think Romney is a gun-grabber just because he's from Mass? It's my understanding that he is a 2d Amendment supporter. Can you provide information otherwise?

My choice is Romney or Thompson. Since Thompson hasn't declared, Romney is the guy to beat Hillary and Barrack!
              Well LEts see, he =voted for the 94 AWB, for the Brady Bill, and signed the first complete State=level AWB in the nation.. The fact that he JUST joined the NRA in the last year doesnt mitigate his past history IMO.

Comment

That's too bad, about him signing an AWB in Mass, and the other stuff. I like what the guy stands for otherwise.

Was he in Congress in '94?
                Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

Pipes is right about Romney's dismal RKBA record. However, given the field, I think Romney is the best candidate SO FAR who can and will beat Obama. At least Romney is trying harder than the others to PROVE he is a friend of us gun-nuts. Yes, he did recently join the NRA. I think that is a step in the right direction. We'll have to see how his views on the issues progress. Remember, we're talking about politicians here. No one has clean hands. The best we can do is vote for the one we think is being the LEAST dishonest with us....

I'd love to see Fred Thompson throw his hat in the ring also, but as of now that hasn't happened.
                  -- Nietzsche

-- Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by rugermk2 View Post

I'd love to see Fred Thompson throw his hat in the ring also, but as of now that hasn't happened.
                    It looks like he will. His contract with L&O runs out this month. He's expected to announce soon after that. Waiting is not necessarily a bad thing for him. People that don't know him find out he's the DA on Law & Order so they watch to see what he is like. A lot of his character parts reflect his own personality and some of his beliefs. He does the Paul Harvey commentary and is getting his views out there where people can hear him and judge where he stands. It's not costing him a penny. In fact, he gets paid for it. After he announces, all of that goes away.

http://draftfredthompson.com/index.php
                    Last edited by Melinda in TN; 05-06-2007, 06:49 AM.
                    "You know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

"I'm against gun control generally. You know, you check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue."

"The court [by overturning the D.C. gun ban] basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

Fred Thompson

Comment

I think SOMEONE is already starting to worry about Thompson, they've started trying to smear him because of role's he's played in the past. I'm looking for the link, if i can find it i'll put it up here. But it was whining about a role he played over 20 YEARS ago.

Comment

That was "The Wise Guy" I think. He played a racist in it and it was a long time ago. I haven't seen any of his movies but I know his personality comes out a lot in Law & Order. He might have played a racists in a movie but he is NOT one in real life.

The Dems are scared to death of him running. He's running high in the polls now and hasn't even announced. I lurk in a Liberal forum on occasion just to keep up with what they are up to and Fred is the only one they are really scared of. Expect them to keep digging but they won't find that kind of dirt on Fred. They will have to make it up. His Republican competition will do it too. Romney already tried to say he's pro-choice, which he's not and never has been. He's a Federalist and believes stuff like that should be up to the states. He is very much pro-life and has always voted that way.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that when he announces, the rest don't have a chance.
                        "You know, marriage is between a man and a woman, and I don't believe judges ought to come along and change that."

"I'm against gun control generally. You know, you check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue."

"The court [by overturning the D.C. gun ban] basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that."

Fred Thompson

Comment

Food for thought..

Of all the Presidential candidates (Republican/Democrat) the NRA likes Democrat Bill Richardson the most.

Comment

As of right now, Fred is my candidate but I could vote for a conservative Democrat. I don't know Bill Richardson but could he take the nomination away from Hillary or Obama? The way it looks right now, those are the two to beat. Some decent Republicans are in the same boat. You have Hunter and Tancredo but could they beat Rudy or McCain? So far they aren't doing all that great.

If Thompson doesn't run, I'm up the creek. I don't expect a perfect candidate because none of them are but Rudy, Hillary and Obama are pretty much the same to me. I'd have a hard time voting for any liberal, Republican or Democrat.

Basically what I'm looking for is a person that is conservative, pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment, and will secure our border by enforcing our laws and is not Ron Paul.

Fred Thompson

Comment

Richardson is ok on a lot of hot-button issues for me, such as @nd Ammendment, and Border issues. Im NOT sure of his abortion stand, but i do know he's 100% against the Iraq war. All in all, given a choice between say, richardson and Giuliani or NcCaine..i might have to go "D" on that one.

IMO Richardson doesnt stand too much of a chance, his own party is already intimating issues with his Lt Governor, and her claim that he "Innapropriately" touched her several times..coincidentally this was JUST after he iitially expressed an interest in running.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5126 users online. 278 members and 4848 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X