• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TUNEDNIMPORTED View Post

………. therefore I am out.

Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

• PR723
      PR723 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is an awesome movie.

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post

Classic movie. One of my favorite modern westerns.

Comment

See, I knew you couldn't be wrong about everything.

The movie is in my top ten westerns and this is one of the top five best one-liners in any movie, ever IMHO.

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

"I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
        See, I knew you couldn't be wrong about everything.

The movie is in my top ten westerns and this is one of the top five best one-liners in any movie, ever IMHO.
        The Good The Bad and The Ugly is my personal favorite. My list really a mix of some hollywood westerns but mostly spaghetti westerns. Spaghetti westerns have amazing scores and a filmed a bit different imo.
        Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 12-02-2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

To conclude " What is a living wage" thread

A fistful of dollars is...thread won.

Comment

Rule of thumb to find the “living wage” for your area, go to your local McDonald’s, find out what their “starting pay” is, then multiply by 2. That’s the “living wage” that the “self entitled” in your area are expecting to see.

Housekeepers at several local hotel properties recently ended a 51 day strike. They were being paid $22 PER HOURL. They wanted a $3.00 per hour raise. Didn’t get what they wanted, but they’re still paid nearly DOUBLE of what your average housekeeper anywhere else in the U.S. gets paid. (BTW, our public school teachers start out on salary that works out to roughly $19.00 per hour).

What does this say for society that public school teachers with a 4. year degree, annual licensing and regulatory requirements earn less than an entry level zero skill required housekeeper?

Granted that Hawaii is expensive, but it’s not THAT expensive. Many folks work multiple jobs to make ends meet. If folks want to earn more money, then go get some marketable skills and find a better paying job. Our unemployement is at a record low. Many businesses are short handed and are continuously recruiting and hiring.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to figure out.
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
              Rule of thumb to find the “living wage” for your area, go to your local McDonald’s, find out what their “starting pay” is, then multiply by 2. That’s the “living wage” that the “self entitled” in your area are expecting to see.

Housekeepers at several local hotel properties recently ended a 51 day strike. They were being paid $22 PER HOURL. They wanted a $3.00 per hour raise. Didn’t get what they wanted, but they’re still paid nearly DOUBLE of what your average housekeeper anywhere else in the U.S. gets paid. (BTW, our public school teachers start out on salary that works out to roughly $19.00 per hour).

What does this say for society that public school teachers with a 4. year degree, annual licensing and regulatory requirements earn less than an entry level zero skill required housekeeper?

Granted that Hawaii is expensive, but it’s not THAT expensive. Many folks work multiple jobs to make ends meet. If folks want to earn more money, then go get some marketable skills and find a better paying job. Our unemployement is at a record low. Many businesses are short handed and are continuously recruiting and hiring.

Looks like im moving to Hawaii to be a housekeeper. Jk WAYYYYY to sunny there for me. I need my weather cold and miserable.
              Last edited by TUNEDNIMPORTED; 12-02-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I owned a small retail business for more than a couple of years. My employees always wanted more of everything.... except of course responsibility. The employees for the most part risks nothing while the owner has everything to lose. I, as the owner, had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested as well as a signed several year lease (at almost 4K a month). If I had gone under I would have lost my investment and be on the hook for years of a 4K a month lease. My employees would simply look for another job. I was fortunate to get out and sold my business. I pretty much broke even on my initial investment. Many are not so lucky. I can’t see myself ever venturing into that atmosphere again. You get squeezed on both ends.

Also.... let’s consider this push is almost exclusively from the left. They want a $15 dollar an hour minimum wage, free healthcare for all/heavy social services and open borders. How can those things work. A higher minimum wage for everyone and at the same time flooding the market with millions of unskilled foreign nationals. Don’t forget the free healthcare for all. More money for everyone. What’s the worst that could happen.
                “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post
                  I owned a small retail business for more than a couple of years. My employees always wanted more of everything.... except of course responsibility. The employees for the most part risks nothing while the owner has everything to lose. I, as the owner, had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested as well as a signed several year lease (at almost 4K a month). If I had gone under I would have lost my investment and be on the hook for years of a 4K a month lease. My employees would simply look for another job. I was fortunate to get out and sold my business. I pretty much broke even on my initial investment. Many are not so lucky. I can’t see myself ever venturing into that atmosphere again. You get squeezed on both ends.

Also.... let’s consider this push is almost exclusively from the left. They want a $15 dollar an hour minimum wage, free healthcare for all/heavy social services and open borders. How can those things work. A higher minimum wage for everyone and at the same time flooding the market with millions of unskilled foreign nationals. Don’t forget the free healthcare for all. More money for everyone. What’s the worst that could happen.
                  What kind of business was it?

Comment

• Exbpa340
                    Exbpa340 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A retail boot store (Redwing).

• TUNEDNIMPORTED
                    TUNEDNIMPORTED commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Redwing boots are amazing

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                  I'm afraid you're asking for too much from those who need to fix you before they fix themselves my big island brother from another volcano goddess mother!

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,

Comment

The main reason I started this thread was to have a discussion about what jobs should have a "living wage" and what that would look like. I don't think that someone flipping burgers at a fast food joint should expect a wage where they support a family of 4 or whatever it may be. I am not sure that a fast food job should be able to support 1 person. It should be a stepping stone to a job that will and can support a family or the 1 person.

If you say that these low wage jobs should support a family then you get the jobs that are meant to support a family wanting even more. Let's say that we start paying fast food workers $20+ an hour to flip burgers. What happens with the construction workers and the office workers and etc....... So then we are paying $15 for a burger because these mean nasty corporations charge more for their burgers. People working construction have to be paid more for them to afford the $15 burger for their family. The people that are building apartments and houses have to charge more because they are paying more to build this housing. Office workers and others will also have to be paid more. The services that these individuals provide cost more so that they have to charge more. Then we get to the point were $20/hour for the burger flipper is no longer a living wage.

Kinda a vicious cycle huh. How bout we put shop classes back in high school along with a two tiered system where those that are college bound go to college, those that aren't can get a better job through the trades. I don't know, kinda spit balling here. I know that liberals and Obama think that everyone should be college bound but, guess what, not all are.

Kind of a shame that the libs have hijacked this thread also. No 137, as much as you try you are not getting to me but, I do believe you are projecting onto me how you are feeling. I am sure sooner or later you will say something to get this thread erased. Please try not being so predictable and boorish.
                    Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

• PR723
                      PR723 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with the two tiered system. There is an increase in the number of teenagers choosing a trade school over college. Some realize that college isn't a good fit. The appeal for others is that trade school puts them out in the work force sooner in a career where there is high demand and they start out with less debt. https://thebestschools.org/magazine/...ollege-degree/

Hopefully, for those teenagers who are college bound, they ( with help from parents and guidance counselors) understand the importance of choosing a field where demand is greater than supply, so they can be financially independent. In time, that person can afford to raise a family.
                      Last edited by PR723; 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM.

For $1,000 I will take the question: What is the Dunning Kruger effect?
                    Last edited by retired137; 12-08-2018, 05:05 PM. Reason: **********

Comment

Originally posted by retired137 View Post
                      For $1,000 I will take the question: What is the Dunning Kruger effect?
                      In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is.

Basically when a person is too incompetent to recognize their own incompetence.
                      “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is.

Basically when a person is too incompetent to recognize their own incompetence.
                        Thanks, it was a rhetorical question, IAM what IAM.

Comment

Well 137, recognizing that YOU have a problem is the first step. Next step, pick up a book like Suicide of the West by Jonah Goldberg. I would say a book by Rush or Ian Rand but, those books might burn your hands like garlic to a vampire.

Please 137, if you are going to keep posting here get one of the following items:
                          Attached Files
                          Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5942 users online. 230 members and 5712 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X