Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pursuit Policies

Let's talk pursuit policies...and punishments for evading

I just read that the Los Angeles PD was the last big police agency in California to amend their pursuit policy to exclude "minor traffic violations." Here's my question. If politicians are SO inclined to make it easier for the bad guys to get away why don't they make the punishments for evading stricter? In California, VC 2800 is a misdemeanor. Yet, in Texas fleeing the police in a vehicle is AUTOMATICALLY a felony.

Anyways...share where your agency is from and your pursuit policy (not the entire thing, just a summary of course)

We don't, ever.

Kelly

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

1sgkelly,

what's the punishment for evading in VA?

Comment

Captain told me to "chase em til you only have half a tank of gas let...then you'd better turn around and come home"
        An impressionable child in a tumultuous world, and they say I'm at a difficult stage... --Meat Loaf

Professional Stupidity Recognition Technician

Comment

Originally posted by 23queen5
          Let's talk pursuit policies...and punishments for evading

I just read that the Los Angeles PD was the last big police agency in California to amend their pursuit policy to exclude "minor traffic violations." Here's my question. If politicians are SO inclined to make it easier for the bad guys to get away why don't they make the punishments for evading stricter? In California, VC 2800 is a misdemeanor. Yet, in Texas fleeing the police in a vehicle is AUTOMATICALLY a felony.

Anyways...share where your agency is from and your pursuit policy (not the entire thing, just a summary of course)
          Its a felony evading if you show disregard for human safety which is usually what happens. CHP still has a liberal policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
            Its a felony evading if you show disregard for human safety which is usually what happens. CHP still has a liberal policy.
            WHP brass has it figured out. It is completely left to "Officer Discretion." That way, when you're right, you are the hero and the WHP taught you everything you know. And when you're wrong and you wipe out a family on the way to Jellystone Park trying to catch a speeder, they can say you used poor judgement. Either way, they're off the hook.

Today, you are screwed no matter what and I would never chase ANYONE unless they were suspected of being a cop killer or child rapist AND, I saw it happen along with three witnesses!

Too many good cops have been prosecuted, persecuted or otherwise emotionally ruined from this because of the liberal media, judges, political pressure and hysterical family members of the innocent bystanders killed.

Of course, it's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
            Last edited by 1042 Trooper; 04-04-2006, 02:14 PM.
            The All New
            BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
            Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
            - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Is that why CHP takes over a lot of pursuits in Nor Cal?

Also, I heard from an Northern California officer I know that California VC 2800 requires the pursuing officer to be in a "marked car." This officer was chasing a lady (who turned out to be driving on a suspended license) in an unmarked silver crown vic, with just a steady red to the front. Even though other marked units joined the chase, he could only charge the lady with VC 14601, not felony evading. To me that's insane...

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                WHP brass has it figured out. It is completely left to "Officer Discretion." That way, when you're right, you are the hero and the WHP taught you everything you know. And when you're wrong and you wipe out a family on the way to Jellystone Park trying to catch a speeder, they can say you used poor judgement. Either way, they're off the hook.

Today, you are screwed no matter what and I would never chase ANYONE unless they were suspected of being a cop killer or child rapist AND, I saw it happen along with three witnesses!

Too many good cops have been prosecuted, persecuted or otherwise emotionally ruined from this because of the liberal media, judges, political pressure and hysterical family members of the innocent bystanders killed.

Of course, it's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
                When my partner and I get in a pursuit, I dont worry about being judged. As long as when stay in the policy and show due regard for the public, we are all good. Its common sense. Im all for pursuits.

Comment

When my partner and I get in a pursuit, I dont worry about being judged. As long as when stay in the policy and show due regard for the public, we are all good. Its common sense. Im all for pursuits.

I pray it all works out for you. Just don't kill anyone doing it. Especially yourself

10-4
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 23queen5
                    Is that why CHP takes over a lot of pursuits in Nor Cal?
                    Generally speaking, CHP will only take over another agency's pursuit if requested to do so by that agency. Most local PD's do this when the pursuit hops on a freeway and looks like it's going to go a long way or cross multiple jurisdictional lines.

However, once CHP has taken over, all non-CHP units must then drop out and discontinue their involvement. If the outside agency declines to drop out, CHP will discontinue its participation and give the pursuit back to them. This is done for officer safety, public safety and civil liability reasons.

If at any time the outside agency wants to take the pursuit back, CHP will gladly drop out and return it to them. In addition, if the pursuit goes into another local PD's jurisdiction, CHP will drop out and turn it over to them if they ask to take it over.
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8666 users online. 170 members and 8496 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X